Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leather Jacket

Psant25

One Too Many
I need to call them, jacket should have returned yesterday. They had a big weekend with the One Moto show over the weekend so I can imagine things being backed up.

In the email convo they said they'd make it slightly smaller. I showed pics of me wearing my heaviest shirt, heaviest hoodie, heaviest wool overshirt, and a Filson wool vest under the jacket and moving easily.

Re: potential JL I basically want something simple, refined, without too serious of a vibe
May depend who answers the phone. I recall scott asking me how much material I could pinch off. And it was a lot. Hope it works out. They make a great jacket as you know. if you can get the fit right even better. Thats Why I kept going back.

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
Wasn't sure where to put it, so might as well put it here. If all goes well, I am going to be in San Francisco next monday the 9th. Going to pick up a jacket from Johnson Leather then will be free for the evening or as long as I can go without crashing from jet lag as I am landing late morning lol

Anyone wnats to meet up for drinks or a meal?

Shoot, I'll be flying to Hawaii, maybe you can preview my jacket for me while you're there.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I think that is a good call. For my subsequent columbia jackets they narrowed sleeves twice and there is still plenty of room. They did one remake for me others i sold outright.

Did you guys discuss how much to bring in at the biceps for example or are you just having them figure out?
My measurements on Langlitz order form vs what I got on the jacket:
Bare Wrist 7" ---> Jacket Wrist 9.5"
Forearm 11" ---> Jacket forearm 12.5"
Biceps 14.25" ---> Jacket Upper arm 16"
I picked "medium" fit with Tee and Hoodie.

I think (My theory, not proven) that Langlitz puts us in their stock size jackets based on our numbers, then "tailors" the sleeve and torso to get the ordered fits (very snug/snug/medium/loose). Although it seems that as soon as they read "hoodie" in the order form, the fit would default to medium. I am ordering my next one with snug fit and tee only and see if this is the case.

Their "Hide House" waxy cowhide is very nice stuff. Very robust and pliable.

That's the damn jacket that made me get my jacket in burgundy, man that color is glorious, I hope I can pull it off, lol.
Burgundy (#8). You won't be disappointed! Best color in the Horween lineup.

I forgot what design you were going for this time with the skived CXL steer?

JL is very good at color matching. The person who cuts their jackets knows his/her way around Horween leathers.

I am holding myself back from skived CXL steer... But I don't think I can resist much longer...

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Wasn't sure where to put it, so might as well put it here. If all goes well, I am going to be in San Francisco next monday the 9th. Going to pick up a jacket from Johnson Leather then will be free for the evening or as long as I can go without crashing from jet lag as I am landing late morning lol

Anyone wnats to meet up for drinks or a meal?
Nice! I will keep an eye out here and on Insta for that jacket!

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
Burgundy (#8). You won't be disappointed! Best color in the Horween lineup.

I forgot what design you were going for this time with the skived CXL steer?

JL is very good at color matching. The person who cuts their jackets knows his/her way around Horween leathers.

I am holding myself back from skived CXL steer... But I don't think I can resist much longer...

Half belt with button front, ala Aero Maxwell. I think the leather choice suits the style nicely.

If you want in on this hide, you better act quick because this batch wasn't very big apparently. The first jacket with it should be done soon if not already...

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Half belt with button front, ala Aero Maxwell. I think the leather choice suits the style nicely.

If you want in on this hide, you better act quick because this batch wasn't very big apparently. The first jacket with it should be done soon if not already...
Button Half Belts. Very nice. Can wear with the middle button closed like a sports jacket. Very versatile.
That's what I should've done with my Del66, buttons instead of zipper.
I am gonna give Masaye a shot on my next order. I always have room for more CXL (2oz steer would be nice), but I have the urge to slide in a Masaye next. Button Del66 sounds about right. I was wondering how to do one now I know. Thanks! Haha...

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
Button Half Belts. Very nice. Can wear with the middle button closed like a sports jacket. Very versatile.
That's what I should've done with my Del66, buttons instead of zipper.
I am gonna give Masaye a shot on my next order. I always have room for more CXL (2oz steer would be nice), but I have the urge to slide in a Masaye next. Button Del66 sounds about right. I was wondering how to do one now I know. Thanks! Haha...

Yeah exactly, I like jackets with buttons because I like wearing them with two buttons fastened since I can leave it like that, sit, stand, drive, whatever, and it vents well too. The jacket designs that led me down this rabbit hole were the Schott Raven and their other minimalist designs, and the Aero Maxwell/Simmons Klondike/button Del66. After getting my first crosszip, car coat, and cossack, I have a better understanding of certain design elements now and why they work and what I like. As much as I like my carcoat, it never scratched the itch of wanting an Aero Maxwell type of jacket, so I'm now scratching that itch.

Yeah I was planning to go with the Masaye for this jacket, but in the end it would've been another black button jacket in my closet, and after seeing the burgundy leather, it was a no brainer. The Masaye is super easy to wear right out the box, it develops some good character to it too, glad JL stocks it regularly now, and I wanted to really test out the water proofness as well. They said it's one of their better selling leathers now being HH and so easy to wear right out the box, so it's popular for riding jackets. But the burgundy called my name, lol.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Yeah exactly, I like jackets with buttons because I like wearing them with two buttons fastened since I can leave it like that, sit, stand, drive, whatever, and it vents well too. The jacket designs that led me down this rabbit hole were the Schott Raven and their other minimalist designs, and the Aero Maxwell/Simmons Klondike/button Del66. After getting my first crosszip, car coat, and cossack, I have a better understanding of certain design elements now and why they work and what I like. As much as I like my carcoat, it never scratched the itch of wanting an Aero Maxwell type of jacket, so I'm now scratching that itch.

Yeah I was planning to go with the Masaye for this jacket, but in the end it would've been another black button jacket in my closet, and after seeing the burgundy leather, it was a no brainer. The Masaye is super easy to wear right out the box, it develops some good character to it too, glad JL stocks it regularly now, and I wanted to really test out the water proofness as well. They said it's one of their better selling leathers now being HH and so easy to wear right out the box, so it's popular for riding jackets. But the burgundy called my name, lol.
Burgundy CXL steer button half belt is gonna be great. Are you customizing the back panels? JL has done almost every design, fan back, single and double western yoke…etc.
I‘m gonna try the Masaye down the road. Jin’s jacket only seemed to curve at the back, not shrunken overall, so I am confident it would be just fine. I have the Blattwerk from SB which I believe is the same as Masaye. Very good stuff.

Unspecifiedtea

New in Town
Burgundy CXL steer button half belt is gonna be great. Are you customizing the back panels? JL has done almost every design, fan back, single and double western yoke…etc.
I‘m gonna try the Masaye down the road. Jin’s jacket only seemed to curve at the back, not shrunken overall, so I am confident it would be just fine. I have the Blattwerk from SB which I believe is the same as Masaye. Very good stuff.
I have a Masaye DEL66 half belt and I can recommend the Masaye. The leather is lightweight and comfortable right from the get-go. As another data point - I’ve been in the rain a few times while wearing it and I haven’t noticed any shrinkage. Hope this helps

TheDonEffect

Practically Family

Nope, simple half belt, forgot if I did a flat or single point yoke... it a yoke at all lol, it'll be a surprise I guess lol, but I did add an action back though.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I have a Masaye DEL66 half belt and I can recommend the Masaye. The leather is lightweight and comfortable right from the get-go. As another data point - I’ve been in the rain a few times while wearing it and I haven’t noticed any shrinkage. Hope this helps
Thanks for sharing the info on Masaye! I am quite confident it will work too. I just have to decide on the style...

Nope, simple half belt, forgot if I did a flat or single point yoke... it a yoke at all lol, it'll be a surprise I guess lol, but I did add an action back though.
Good choice, the action back. Del-66 with action back and buttons front. Can't wait to see it. I'll post about my fan back Del-66 (after we get aquinted with each other).

MTS

Familiar Face
Has anyone been in contact with Johnson Leather recently? I've been trying to reach them through email, phone and IG...no luck at all. Hope all is well with them

MTS

Familiar Face
Ah. That's good to hear. Glad to hear business is going well for them. Hopefully they'll respond to my inquiry soon!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I was there just last week picking up my order
How did the skived CXL turn out? Are the buttons easier to open and close? I pivoted last minute and went with Masaye instead.

Hopefully they'll respond to my inquiry soon!
They seem to be quite busy this time of the year. I remember the same backlog last year around this early summer time. What jacket did you have in mind?

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
Here are some pics.
20220607_103541.jpg
20220607_103612.jpg
20220607_103623.jpg
20220607_103736.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff