Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leather Jacket

Ayeteael

A-List Customer
Got it! Ill take a loot at that and weigh my options. That's quite neat that they share the factory. I don't really tuck my shirt so I'll probably have no problem with that regard.

Go for it. . . Oh wait it's $350, that's serious money for jeans lol

That's why it's so confusing, it's just like jackets huh you gotta go by the actual chart measurement and not by size tag.

That's what I was planning to do, my workplace is just a few blocks away from the standard and strange store. They only accept curb side pick up so that may have to wait. But oh boy, the denim heads sure do have a lot of terms.
You only need to know one phrase to fit in: "sick fades bro." Or since you're in the BA, "hella fades bro."

Boom, youre in.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
^ Agree. I also live in the Bay Area and have spent a lot of time and money at SE and S&S. These two stores sell jeans from most of the top makers. My advice is to take some time before buying. Learn not only about the stores, manufacturers, and different cuts, but what's best for your body type. In addition, realize that anything bought raw (not washed) will shrink a lot but also stretch back where there's pressure (e.g., waist). PM me if you have specific questions -- I've been down this path for a long time and would spend the money quite differently now than I did initially.

Yes! I'll definitely do that. I did the same with leather jackets so I don't want to do that same mistake again. Since the stores are closed, I won't do online shopping and wait for them to open up again.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
You only need to know one phrase to fit in: "sick fades bro." Or since you're in the BA, "hella fades bro."

Boom, youre in.

I think I'll just buy 2 nice selvedge denim and wear it for a year so I can hear people comment sick fades brooooo

Oh man that's so funny, that hits home as my younger cousins use the term hella all the time lol

Ayeteael

A-List Customer
I'm a Californian through and through but I moved to Atlanta for grad school 10 years ago. Grew up in Orange County and spent much time visiting Berkely, Oakland, and SF to visit friends during college. Still have friends who live in SF and I was there in March right before the COVID lockdowns started. I will always love and miss the Golden State.

hesalitedome

New in Town
As challenging as finding good fitting jeans can be, there's one thing that's maybe easier with jeans than jackets and that's measurements -- waist, front rise, back rise, thigh, knee, leg opening, and hem. Once you know them, you pretty much know what will work and what won't. That said, as with jackets, some jeans makers seem to have the magic when it comes to fitting the natural contours of the human body.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
I'm a Californian through and through but I moved to Atlanta for grad school 10 years ago. Grew up in Orange County and spent much time visiting Berkely, Oakland, and SF to visit friends during college. Still have friends who live in SF and I was there in March right before the COVID lockdowns started. I will always love and miss the Golden State.

That's nice you were still able to visit before things shut down. People are being advised to stay at home again but luckily most parks are still open. We just have to wait it out and hope for the best as the pandemic takes it toll. It doesn't look good in the local community though, it's not as bad compared to Southern California but it's still pretty bad in the hospitals. Hope your local community in Atlanta is doing well and relatively safe from disease.

As challenging as finding good fitting jeans can be, there's one thing that's maybe easier with jeans than jackets and that's measurements -- waist, front rise, back rise, thigh, knee, leg opening, and hem. Once you know them, you pretty much know what will work and what won't. That said, as with jackets, some jeans makers seem to have the magic when it comes to fitting the natural contours of the human body.

Yes, when I figured out those measurements then my jackets have started to fit a lot better. Ill try to YouTube how to measure those measurements for pants and I will measure my best fitting denim so I have a baseline number. Which makers do you recommend that makes the most natural body shape?

hesalitedome

New in Town
^ After owning way too many pairs, the one that fits me best, and quite a few other body types, is Ooe Yofukuten, a husband-wife team in Japan. Other good fitting jeans that are readily available include the Fullcount 1101, LVC (Levi's) 1947, Orslow 105, TCB 40s or 50s, Warehouse 1000XX. Roy Slaper's (Roy Denim in Oakland, CA) jeans are works of art -- the most beautifully sewn.

Pandemic

One Too Many
I’ve owned 20+ pairs of Gustin straights over the past 10yrs, so obviously that’s my go-to. But I’ll say N&F’s Weird Guy fits well and Ciano Farmer’s Miner cut is as good as it gets.

Ayeteael

A-List Customer
^ After owning way too many pairs, the one that fits me best, and quite a few other body types, is Ooe Yofukuten, a husband-wife team in Japan. Other good fitting jeans that are readily available include the Fullcount 1101, LVC (Levi's) 1947, Orslow 105, TCB 40s or 50s, Warehouse 1000XX. Roy Slaper's (Roy Denim in Oakland, CA) jeans are works of art -- the most beautifully sewn.
I’ve wanted to try Roy’s but the sticker shock is real. I love Orslows lighter washes. Heard great things about Glenn’s Denim and COF too. There are too many great denim options to try them all.

Last edited:

Jin431

Call Me a Cab

Thanks for that, that's a lot of options. The roy slapers is so cool, I would not have known there is an denim artisan in Oakland if it weren't for you. I looked up his site looks like he only sells items by batches. How frequently does that happen and how expensive is he? lol

I’ve owned 20+ pairs of Gustin straights over the past 10yrs, so obviously that’s my go-to. But I’ll say N&F’s Weird Guy fits well and Ciano Farmer’s Miner cut is as good as it gets.

Thanks! That's the biggest plus if you stick to one brand, you get to know what works best for you. I just checked Gustin and i see the appeal to it. Great prices too

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
I’ve wanted to try Roy’s but the sticker shock is real. I love Orslows lighter fades. Heard great things about Glenn’s Denim and COF too. There are too many great denim options to try them all.

How bad is it? Worse than the Japanese makers probably lol
Yes, that is both the easy and hard part as there are so many great options.

I’ve been tempted to try SoSo for something different, but Ot hasn’t happened yet.

Tony tried them but it didn't turn out so great, he got a denim jacket though so maybe the jeans are a different matter

Pandemic

One Too Many
23oz that's even heavier than the IH 666. that must be a real work out to wear.

I'm thinking of trying this mystery selvedge for $68. Anyone had tried this with brave star?

https://bravestarselvage.com/products/the-66-mystery-pick?variant=31255629889597

good deal! Seems like a good way to check out the fit.

Yep, I hope these are wearable. I’ve owned starchy and stiff heavy denim that was a chore and some that was loser weave and much softer.

https://www.weargustin.com/store/jeans-252-double-black-23?campaign_id=12541

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Yes, it's a wonderful price and for the company to offload excess stock. I might try this brave star but not knowing what they will make you is a little bit dicey lol

That a great looking black denim! Hope you get it soon while it's still cold, you'll be in for an uncomfortable day if you wear that in the hotter months in TX lol

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
Agreed, my jeans are definitely lagging behind my outerwear and boots. I'll be investing in better denim this year, I haven't had a selvedge denim jeans yet so I'll probably start there.

Don't do it, lol. I briefly went down that path, it doesn't end well.

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
I've gone down this rabbit hole a while ago, started with the department store stuff, eventually working my way through the selvedge stuff, stopped short of the 300+ pairs. For a while I was brave star guy, their prices can't be beat and their stock is pretty consistent. Gustin is great, quality I think it's superior, but waiting 3 months for a pair is just dumb unless you're getting something really cool. Oh and brave star does chain stitch hemming, so it's nice to get a ready to wear pair.

My jeans now are almost all raw selvedge, and this pandemic made me realize how much I hate wearing them lol. Like sand paper. Especially with covid I can't fathom not washing my pants after months and months of regular use. And jeans aren't heirloom quality stuff, if you use them like your supposed to you will consume them. Otherwise it's like having a detailed shiny lifted jeep, sorta defeats the purpose.

Sure, every once in a while I'm tempted to pickup a pair with an unusual color id, or underside color (keep forgetting the name of that), but I also like to man the grill and then be able to throw them into the washing machine so I don't smell like bbq. Something about treating jeans like they're cashmere dress pants just sits wrong in my head. Oh and getting them to get imprints of your phone and wallet, I mean talk about a bullseye. And I don't think my body will create flattering whiskers lol.

Anyway, end rant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner