Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leather Jacket

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
I have some experience with three of the hides. I have a skived version of the cxl, I think down to 2oz iirc. Even at that it is a chore. It is now wearable but still stiff and restricting. Keep in mind though I hate boots and I wear hoodies almost every time and unless stuff is frozen I rarely wear more than two layers of clothing.

But the reason why it's still in my closet is because it's a beautiful hide. The texture of HH is tough to beat, has a tight bamboo like texture that doesn't trigger trypophobia, lol. It's just different and beautiful. And of course the smell. But if day is a form over function leather.

My first JL was the biker steer and frankly it's a great leather that I didn't appreciate enough. It's robust, what they make the kaw enforcement stuff with, this is legit stuff. It also has a quality that makes you want to feel on it, it just feels nice, and it's very comfortable from the get go. You won't mistaken it for mall jacket leather. This is a function over form.

I originally ordered my crosszip with the cavalier. It's like the biker leather but wears more like robust lambskin. I should've stuck with it but opted for an even more softer, thinner hide after getting stiff jacket fatigue, which was great in that is like wearing a hoody but lacks structure that you want in a leather jacket... but I wear it all the time lol. Anyway, the cavalier does develop character rather quickly because of the softer nature of it.

The kampelli and midnight I don't know about, but the midnight I am intrigued about...

Everyone needs to scratch the cxl itch and see where that journey takes you. My lifestyle and geography dictated that it's not the right fit for me, but you cannot beat the look. I also have the cxl steer in burgundy and I love it to death. It has alot of the qualities of the hh but much much easier to wear. But it's no substitute for cxl hh, just another option. The cxl is stiff so that is slick to the touch, steer feels more waxy and rubbery. At 3 oz is still more wearable than the hh. My next jacket will be black cxl steer... but I could be swayed to hh.

Seriously the hh just looks special, I could hang it on a rack next to other black leather jackets and recognize it instantly.

And definitely definitely definitely get a two way zip. I used to love button jackets so I could keep the bottom open since i like my jackets to run long, two way zip changed my life lol.

My other tip is cxl hh tends to be better with a more trim fit which for me was counter intuitive, otherwise you'll feel like the tin man.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I plan to do a more detailed review later on, but it feels due I post a few pictures.. in short I contacted Alan last fall about a customized G-1 project. I wanted to try the 4 oz heavy goatskin which @Canuck Panda was talking about and while I know A2/G1 style bomber jackets don‘t get much love around here because they don‘t give you that super snug fitted look that most people consider desirable, I always found especially the G1 to be a very practical design. Good range of motion, lots of pockets, wind-proof at cuffs and waist hem, relaxed fit that allows for more versatile layering. There is only two things that always bothered me about the G1 and that is the wind flap and the buttons on the outer pockets, the first just looking odd when wearing the jacket unzipped and the later always being a hassle when quick access is required. So I had Alan remove these, but other than that it is their very classic G-1 design.

As you can tell from the pictures, I am in the middle of moving right now with lots of work on my plate as well, so there is very little time for this particular hobby but I did snap a few quick pictures when I got home from the bicycle run to the bakery this morning.

98BC228F-2038-42C2-9442-F7E8A382DEA8.jpeg
35C3BE43-44B3-40F5-BE49-6D701EF232BB.jpeg
0FA465B0-2E0E-4DF5-9022-6EC1B3C4EED5.jpeg

Thank you @Alan@JohnsonLeather , very happy with how it turned out and how it fits.

Peacoat

Bartender
Excellent fit. Alan and Johnson Leather come through again.

Although I don't have as many as @thor I have several of the G-1. It is my favorite design for winter wear. Has plenty of room for layering, although I have a civilian L L Bean that has a shearling lining. No need to layer with that jacket.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
I plan to do a more detailed review later on, but it feels due I post a few pictures.. in short I contacted Alan last fall about a customized G-1 project. I wanted to try the 4 oz heavy goatskin which @Canuck Panda was talking about and while I know A2/G1 style bomber jackets don‘t get much love around here because they don‘t give you that super snug fitted look that most people consider desirable, I always found especially the G1 to be a very practical design. Good range of motion, lots of pockets, wind-proof at cuffs and waist hem, relaxed fit that allows for more versatile layering. There is only two things that always bothered me about the G1 and that is the wind flap and the buttons on the outer pockets, the first just looking odd when wearing the jacket unzipped and the later always being a hassle when quick access is required. So I had Alan remove these, but other than that it is their very classic G-1 design.

As you can tell from the pictures, I am in the middle of moving right now with lots of work on my plate as well, so there is very little time for this particular hobby but I did snap a few quick pictures when I got home from the bicycle run to the bakery this morning.

View attachment 518654 View attachment 518655 View attachment 518656

Thank you @Alan@JohnsonLeather , very happy with how it turned out and how it fits.
That is a fantastic fit.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up

Awesome fit! Congrats.

I love USN jackets, G-1 is one of my favourite designs. Was waiting to see your jacket before I pulled the trigger. They did a great job. What kind of lining did you go with?

I've always thought that the G-1 is the nicest looking in the flight jacket genre. It has what is essentially a false halfbelt back so it's structured and yours doesn't seem to have the muffin top that most knitted waistbands create. Really well done...fit looks great (I would say it is a trim fit) and the goat looks dense and supple.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
We

Well, G1/A2 styles get a lot of love from me personally.
Looks and fits well. Would like to see some more in natural light , once you get the chance.

I just moved house myself four weeks ago, so I feel you. It’s always worth it in the end.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up

This thick goat is something else. I love how it drapes, big rolls on sleeves. And the fit is perfect, for any jacket, and particularly for a G-1 which easily can be baggy. I bet it will become your go-to jacket - both practical and solid as hell.

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
nice looking jacket, you and JL nailed the fit. I wear a WW11 aer MA beautiful rich golden brown goatskin. Original except for the cuff nicks and male zip side, I did use the pocket buttons to secure my phone while sailing, and the wind flaps were appreciated when taking spray

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Thank you everyone. The goatskin is great btw, it has a very luxurish velvetish hand to it, is extremely supple and yet incredibly heavy. I didn‘t weigh it but it is noticably heavier than my Vansons which are all in the 6-6.5 lb range.
Awesome fit! Congrats.

I love USN jackets, G-1 is one of my favourite designs. Was waiting to see your jacket before I pulled the trigger. They did a great job. What kind of lining did you go with?
I went with their standard quilted lining, nothing fancy.
We

Well, G1/A2 styles get a lot of love from me personally.
Looks and fits well. Would like to see some more in natural light , once you get the chance.

I just moved house myself four weeks ago, so I feel you. It’s always worth it in the end.
Will try to do so tomorrow.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I think they brought back one of these a while back, the WWL-41 the cross zip version. I think the straight zip one can get a lot more wear on a regular basis.

Propertyguy1981

New in Town
Hey guys,

I picked up my custom jacket last week. I love the fit and the smell. Alan and Damon were great. Here are the specs:

Model: N-2002
Leather: Horween Vermont (Chocolate)
Size: 42
Customizations: left breast pocket, right arm pocket
Lining: Body lining is a green plaid Alan helped me pick out during the fitting 3 weeks ago. They probably still have it. Arm lining is brown satin.
Zippers: antique brass.

I’ve never had a leather jacket this well made before. It feels like it will outlast me!

-Evan

Attachments

• 9B099445-6C13-491D-B85C-B3BDB483A3DE.jpeg
    9B099445-6C13-491D-B85C-B3BDB483A3DE.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 83
  • A5C88710-47F2-478A-BF45-4E537827B73F.jpeg
    A5C88710-47F2-478A-BF45-4E537827B73F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 80
  • B2185F19-E7CC-4E5F-8E37-EEF65298CF31.jpeg
    B2185F19-E7CC-4E5F-8E37-EEF65298CF31.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 78
  • 2736E181-89EE-4100-9D6A-03242C9759B7.jpeg