Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leather Jacket

X83

One of the Regulars
Yup that’s shrunken grain horsehide. JL sourced this custom tannage from Horween, can’t wait to get it!

Theyve also posted a shrunken grain bison in cherry red this morning, I have a feeling it belongs to @red devil here,

View attachment 601340

Really nice stuff
I called them about this jacket and your shrunken horshide obviously I was not aware it was for you at the time what a beautiful jacket both are

Last edited:

Psant25

One Too Many
How long did it take you to get that teacore effect on that Brown CXL HH? Looks beautiful.

I'm considering starting an A2 flight jacket project with JL, specifically with that leather.
Couple of months maybe longer some rain and sun helped out

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Spent my Saturday wearing these two JL beauties. Barneveld Remix in Petrol Teacore Steerhide and M-200 in 5 oz dark brown steerhide. Both of these jackets rank among my heaviest but at least the Barneveld Remix is starting to give up and break in. I treated it with Lexol a short while ago, it darkened somewhat but feels softer since too.

4B1F86AF-1286-4F03-B228-0EEB5F9B0B59.jpeg
891C01E1-C927-453E-8E85-9603DDF19DC8.jpeg

Furrowson

One of the Regulars
HUGE Thank You to JL for making this dream jacket come true, words cannot describe my feelings...

View attachment 602635 View attachment 602636 View attachment 602637 View attachment 602638 View attachment 602639 View attachment 602640
View attachment 602641 View attachment 602642

This leather is amazing. Shrunken grain horsehide from Horween. JL sourced this leather. I've seen this leather before used on TM jackets but never knew its source. Thanks to JL for this amazing leather. It's maybe 3.5oz give or take, surprisingly pliable. The shrunken grain is wild, it's got it all, big grains small grains butt grains and all very pronounced.

This jacket pattern is based off the Barneveld Remix, which to me, is really a civilian CHP type jacket. Very good pattern, they know what they're doing. I have two different sizes of this pattern and both are pretty good. There is action pleats hidden behind the mouton panel, great mobility.

Exit jacket, chapter one.
This is nuts, congratulations! I saw some of this leather, maybe your jacket even, on their instagram and was like, "... wut?"

Looks amazing and even better in your pics. Very curious how it will age. I guess some of that shine will go and it will settle on you a lot.

When I do go the custom route again I'm looking at JL. Ticking all the boxes as far as I can tell.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Did anyone ever find out how the Vermont hide copes in the rain? Lovely jackets here guys
Vermont can handle the rain well due to its pigment topcoat. But it is a soft horsehide, like A2 jacket type of leather, and it's teacore/base, at least the brown one is like that. I've seen black dyed through ones too, have to ask.

If you are looking for something black dyed through, and with a top coating, then it's the Phantom Black horsehide. It's also just a bit more rigid than the Vermont, very similar to the teacore Shinki but black core. Although black core tends to wear/fade grey and not actually black. Phantom Black also has a nice shine, can blow up the pic to see the grains.
IMG_4605.JPG

Furrowson

One of the Regulars
Vermont can handle the rain well due to its pigment topcoat. But it is a soft horsehide, like A2 jacket type of leather, and it's teacore/base, at least the brown one is like that. I've seen black dyed through ones too, have to ask.

If you are looking for something black dyed through, and with a top coating, then it's the Phantom Black horsehide. It's also just a bit more rigid than the Vermont, very similar to the teacore Shinki but black core. Although black core tends to wear/fade grey and not actually black. Phantom Black also has a nice shine, can blow up the pic to see the grains.
View attachment 605322
Oof that Phantom Black does look nice. Thanks for the helpful info, as always.

I'm waiting on @Mrfrown 's recently sold seal Vermont crosszip atm and impatiently obssessing to pass the time. Glad to hear it will stand up to some rain and teacore a bit over time.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As black leathers go, I really liked their 'standard' hides. If not for the shrunken grain, I would have gone with the glossy cowhide option.

Furrowson

One of the Regulars
Do they have a site where you can look at the hides and jacket models they offer? The one I've found has basically nothing on it, which is why I overlooked them in the past.

Aero makes it so easy to browse and dream up your custom jacket(s). I think their site design is a big part of their success, relative to other at least as good makers.

EDIT: Thanks for the tip @Aloysius. I do like me some cowhide.

Furrowson

One of the Regulars
Incined to agree. Craftsmanship and salesmanship don't seem to coexist in the same person.

Just look at the Lost Worlds site. It is batsh!t for a serious business in 2024 to use a site like a 2001 myspace page. It makes me love LW so much more than if they had a slick sales site which simply gave you the info you sought.

X83

One of the Regulars
Do they have a site where you can look at the hides and jacket models they offer? The one I've found has basically nothing on it, which is why I overlooked them in the past.

Aero makes it so easy to browse and dream up your custom jacket(s). I think their site design is a big part of their success, relative to other at least as good makers.

EDIT: Thanks for the tip @Aloysius. I do like me some cowhide.
You can see a lot of the mind blowing work on instagram and fb

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The elbows are the first place a jacket breaks in. From the looks of things this is as stiff as it'll be, so that's likely what you're feeling.

The big area that stops arm mobility is the upper arm, when there's insufficient space. Johnson always makes sure that's catered for, and from the looks of things you have an action back. I wouldn't worry.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
This steerhide jacket arrived today.
I have never had a steerhide jacket before.
The jacket was built to my specs based on my other jackets and the elbow area has very little room making it very hard to bend my arms past 90º. Will the leather stretch out eventually?
I love the color.

View attachment 606203

Woah! Simply stunning! Fit picture please...

(Don´t worry about the elbow. Will stretch in no time.)

X83

One of the Regulars
This steerhide jacket arrived today.
I have never had a steerhide jacket before.
The jacket was built to my specs based on my other jackets and the elbow area has very little room making it very hard to bend my arms past 90º. Will the leather stretch out eventually?
I love the color.

View attachment 606203
It will settle in relatively fast

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
This post is a comparison review. There are some questions I had that I wanted to find out for myself for a while.

M-500 xzip vs WWL-41 xzip.

M-500 is the current Bay area police department contract jacket, mine is in stock size 40.

WWL-41 is their other police jacket, and mine is in stock size 42.

M-500 on the left, WWL-41 on the right
IMG_5886.JPG

IMG_5839.JPG

IMG_5760.JPG

IMG_5809.JPG

IMG_5817.JPG

IMG_5770.JPG

IMG_5779.JPG

IMG_5789.JPG

IMG_5885.JPG

JL's M-500 pattern has been one of my favorite ever since I got it. Mostly because it's very comfortable and I can wear it all day. Practical and no nonsense.

The WWL-41 pattern is quite a bit flashier than the understated M-500 imo. But still has great range of motion. Quite amazing for a tight fitting jacket pattern.

If the M-500 is an modified unmarked cruiser putting down 500+hp at the wheels, then the WWL-41 is a Lambo police car.

That's all I got. Thanks for reading.

Edit, adding a fun photo,
IMG_5911.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner