Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leathers Custom for $480

ampgoesto11

New in Town
As one who appreciates, owns, and has owned and sold many of the best leather jackets (e.g., LW, Aero, Fox Creek, Schott, Vanson, etc.), I am always in search of jacket perfection, which includes an assessment of overall value. My new order is being made, even as I write, by Johnson Leathers. I visited his small shop last summer while working in Monterey, CA. I was impressed by a number of things, particularly the owner's willingness to allow me to spend over an hour donning every jacket in his showroom from size 40-44. Alan is also very bright and possesses very good interpersonal skills that others lack, or at least choose to supress. I took advantage of his annual sale and bought a naked cowhide jean jacket, which I love.

Last week, I decided I wanted something new, slightly custom, made from excellent materials, and at a value price.
I called Vanson. Ever called them? Business must be really good right now.
I called Schott. The 135 intrigued me, but the cut was a bit full for my taste.
I called LW. Beautiful, expensive jackets sold by a pathological grinch. "Who needs a hug?...come here little Stu-eee. Give us a huggy!"
Finally, after all others, I called Johnson Leathers. His web site does not do his products justice. He described his M-200L, which is his casual jacket based on the M200, but with a 27" solid, bi-swing back, a more casual fit, and made in naked cowhide, horsehide, or a leather he calls SFPD that he uses to make jackets for the SF Police. I ordered the M200L in the latter, in 3.5.

The SFPD has a bit more sheen, but is not as stiff as other thick, finished leathers. I look forward to receiving it. Next time you want a semi-custom jacket, give Alan a call. I am fairly certain that the quality and value price will make this one a keeper.

I attempted to attach photos from my files, but to no avail. I'll keep trying.

Peacoat

Bartender
Welcome to the forum. In order to attach photos, you will need to use a 3rd party server, such as Photobucket. Upload your photo to that server. Then go to the IMG code beneath your photo. Copy the code, and then paste to the place in your message where you want the photo(s) to go. Use the preview function to see if you did it right. No need to place inside the IMG brackets on this forum, as that is already done for you. Very simple, once you get the hang of it.

53Effie

A-List Customer
I couldn't agree more about the customer service and quality of product from Johnson. I bought a slightly customized M-200 last spring and it is a really nice jacket. I too very much enjoyed dealing with Alan. And I received the jacket within a month of placing the order...imagine that. I'm kind of thinking of something new from Johnson in horsehide at this point, but no firm decision yet.

jack miranda

A-List Customer
Hi, ampgoesto11:
A few years ago I took Alan a pretty trashed old Sears' Hercules and asked him to make me a new one in black HH. Photos only hint at the quality of workmanship.
2495160130104585873S425x425Q85.jpg

2682044490104585873S425x425Q85.jpg

2706668350104585873S425x425Q85.jpg

2199174950104585873S425x425Q85.jpg

The coat is as heavy as you'd expect HH to be, but, the leather is not stiff at all. It is soft and supple; very surprising. This is my going-out-on-Saturday-Night coat. Johnson does exceptional work, a true local treasure. We expect pics of yours when it arrives, of course.

jon z

One of the Regulars
Hi ampgoesto11. Thanks for starting this thread. I've been looking for a custom leather jacket maker for a little project I have in mind. Since reading this I've already been in contact with Alan & had a very favourable response.

Hi Jack. That's a fine looking repro. I've seen that particular model on eBay several times over the years & yours seems to be a faithful copy, albeit black rather than the brown the originals tend to be. Seeing yours has given me confidence Alan is not going to disappoint.

crimsonofsam

One of the Regulars
058.jpg

059.jpg

061.jpg

060.jpg

062.jpg

Ampgoesto11,my Johnson custom arrived today and it's a winner!I sent Alan a picture of an old Montgomery Ward jacket I found a few months back and he nailed it.Hope I'm not hijacking but it arrived today and thought you might like to see some pics.

Last edited:

crimsonofsam

One of the Regulars
Nice! It looks like you got the exact same chocolate brown HH that mine was made from 6 weeks ago. Wear it in good health!

Alan informed me that there was enough of this HH to make 3 or 4 jackets.Sounds like you and I ordered at the right time!Post some pics ASAP!

crimsonofsam

One of the Regulars
Hi, ampgoesto11:
A few years ago I took Alan a pretty trashed old Sears' Hercules and asked him to make me a new one in black HH. Photos only hint at the quality of workmanship.
2495160130104585873S425x425Q85.jpg

2682044490104585873S425x425Q85.jpg

2706668350104585873S425x425Q85.jpg

2199174950104585873S425x425Q85.jpg

The coat is as heavy as you'd expect HH to be, but, the leather is not stiff at all. It is soft and supple; very surprising. This is my going-out-on-Saturday-Night coat. Johnson does exceptional work, a true local treasure. We expect pics of yours when it arrives, of course.

Jack,your Hercules repro was the tipping point per going with Johnson.I've hardly touched on the over the top service Alan offers.Try on jacket,canvas mock up jacket to insure proper fit,not mention a custom made 4 oz HH for less than $700.It's a no brainer in my book.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn