Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leathers Custom Jacket - Lots of Pics

Infinitum

A-List Customer
Hey Fred... I'm pretty sure I answered most of your questions. Just re-read my post again - most of what you're asking is there. It's a size 44 but modified. I am not one to talk pricing so PM me and I'll let you know privately.

And I took a photo to show how I wear it, not how I want you to see if you think it fits. :D

Last edited:

FredS

One of the Regulars
Nevermind...don't bother...I don't have time for this. Leaving for Africa in 4 weeks. I ordered myself a Vanson Enfield today from the UK.
Johnson's Leather could have had a nice sale but your reluctance to divulge the details I asked for put an end to that.
Cheers.

Last edited:

theundeadkennedy

One of the Regulars
Nevermind...don't bother...I don't have time for this. Leaving for Africa in 4 weeks. I ordered myself a Vanson Enfield today from the UK.
Johnson's Leather could have had a nice sale but your reluctance to divulge the details I asked for put an end to that.
Cheers.

Your sense of entitlement is inspiring. I hope to one day achieve your advanced level of self importance.

theundeadkennedy

One of the Regulars
Thanks. I did however consult my wife, and she thinks that if I upped my narcissistic behaviors to that high of a level it will come off as extremely douchey and I would end up sad, divorced and lonely.

But if that happened I would be able to afford more jackets...always a silver lining I guess ;)

Infinitum

A-List Customer
Can you get me precise measurements and photos of the silver lining to which you are referring? How much extra was this lining? Can you provide photos of at least 12 angles of the lining? I need this information immediately.

theundeadkennedy

One of the Regulars
I'm sorry but I will not be able to provide the requested information at this exact moment, but I will do my best to get it to you when possible.

Please, please, please don't let my "reluctance" be the reason you do not have the patience to wait longer than a few hours before hastily moving onto a different maker. I would never forgive myself if it was the sole reason you bought another jacket.

Mark Ricketts

One of the Regulars
When I want to find out about a manufacturer's reputation, I come here. When I want to find out exact details I directly ask the people who make it. This is not a difficult concept.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
You have excellent taste. BTW I'm waiting on a jacket from JL in the same hide myself. I envy you because you could go in for a fitting. That's what I did with my first JL, an M200. This time I couldn't get to SF so I went the "test jacket" route. I'm a leetle worried that it won't be spot on but Allen said he can make it smaller but not bigger if needed and made it with that in mind. The UPS back and forth is costing a fortune. but what the hay.

I appreciate the comment above regarding "over-modding" a self-designed jacket, although Allen isn't shy about saying "whoa "when I go off the rails (mixed metaphor?). I went verrry minimalistic, myself. Will post pix so your brains can fall out.

Last edited:

Lando

Practically Family
JL vs. G&B? Any comments? As a huge Gibson & Barnes fan, got me curious.

Gibson & Barnes makes a very good jacket to wear day to day. I own a few and really like them, but I would not even compare them to Johnson's Leather based on levels of customization. Johnson's has such a wide array of leather and style options and Gibson & Barnes tries to keep the customization in their leather jackets pretty controlled last I checked. Gibson & Barnes also doesn't like to work with anything too heavy outside of the styles of jackets they specifically offer it in. Again, I like their work and own a couple jackets of theirs, but I would not go to them again unless I was trying to specifically buy one of their styles with little to no customization. Granted, it's been a couple years since I dealt with them heavily so maybe things are different there now. Construction wise though, G&B makes a very solid jacket and I would say Johnson's Leather and them are similar in their attention to detail and rock solid day to day hard use build.

Infinitum, the jacket came out great. How's breaking that overdye leather going? I have a modified N-200 in the Horween overdye that I wear every time I shovel the snow just to beat the hell out of it. Alan actually told me if it started to get too hard on me to go to a laundromat and stick the jacket in one of the dryers with a bunch of baseballs and no heat and let it go for an hour lol. Came out very cool though and now you've just got to wear it for a few decades to bring that brown tone out.

That's me working in the snow, trying to break that Horween Overdye in lol.
12503873163_3c5956fa84_c.jpg

Infinitum

A-List Customer
Haha - that's awesome. And thanks. The leather on mine is not super thick, but it is sturdy and feels great. The sleeves already feel almost broken in, but the jacket itself still hangs in that sort of "robo-pose" look when it's on a hanger, but it's getting better.

theundeadkennedy

One of the Regulars
Infinitum- Big thank you for posting your jacket. I finally got the chance to handle the 3.5 oz overdye CXL yesterday, between pictures of your jacket and holding the leather sample in my hand it was an easy choice to get my next jacket made of it.

Chi-Town Co

Familiar Face
Jacket looks really well made and great leather. I've seen several members with custom made jackets that warrant an additional look at Johnson Leathers..

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thats one REALLY nice jacket!

I've had a look on their site and can't find anything that looks like it. The closest I can see would be the M-200, is it based of that with mods or completely new pattern?

They really need to update their site with better pictures imo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner