Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

johnson leathers m-500

Al 916

One Too Many
Anyone have pics of these please?
(in particular a CHP mod with a mouton)

thanks in advance

best
Al

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
The M-500 is the current modern one and is not very vintage looking. The WWL-41 is the vintage looking one.

Here are the variants of the WWL-41:
archive pattern CHP WWL-41 variant 02.jpg

archive pattern CHP WWL-41 variant 01.jpg

archive pattern CHP WWL-41 variant 03.jpg

Most of these jackets were made with all the mouton bits like old Cal and old Columbia. With mouton throat patch and mouton cuff lining. But only Cal used the double lining I think. I am not sure if the other CHP jackets were made with the double lining or not. A lot of these jackets were made with very heavy leather, 4oz to 5oz, under many different brands/tags. If I see them I will post them. Usually very good deal because no one knows what they are, but they were made by JL.

I have the watered down straight zip version. This archive pattern fits very slim in the body but have huge shoulders and upper sleeve so very good mobility. Fits like the movie jacket, that tight, but works. Very good mobility.
IMG_9691.JPG

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm jealous of all of you with these Johnson experiences. They never replied to my email so I tried reaching out through Instagram and whoever runs that basically replied to my questions with "That's cool". Lol.

I'll have to phone them, maybe that will work.

I should have said that this^ is a fit I’m running from. I like a trim, well fitted jacket but the sausage casing fit, it’s just not me. I see a lot of this from Himel and the Japanese market. I’m not a fan. It’s not my cut.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I'm jealous of all of you with these Johnson experiences. They never replied to my email so I tried reaching out through Instagram and whoever runs that basically replied to my questions with "That's cool". Lol.

Johnson's is quite responsive when you call them. They are typically in the shop Saturday's as well.

This looks quite nice:
1693357401314.png

tuanhng614

Familiar Face

I just reached out to them recently. The initial email took awhile to get a response from Damon, in between 1-2 weeks. But after that, it was really responsive.

Just give them a call to get it moving.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I agree that jacket look too tight on you Ton. I don't know the history behind that build but I think it could have been a custom one.

FWIW, my stock one is 8" across at the bicep, and is the same as my Schott 618HH, and is somewhere between my premier and 50s Aero Highwayman, premier is skinnier and 50s is a wider. I use these jackets as benchmarks because most here seem to have at least one or multiples of these jackets.

IMG_1881.JPG

IMG_1882.JPG

Your Schott Perfectos size is the size for these JL archive CHPs. They're almost identical in fits at the same tag size, just different styles. I can wear the 42 for T shirt fit and 44 for regular fit. The Schott sizing calculator even suggest me a 46 for a relaxed fit.

The M500 in stock size 40, is like a size 45 Perfecto tapered down to 41, with Aero 50s Highwayman sized sleeves. They're quite comfortable, but the way the panels are put together are more 50s like. The archive ones are more 40s like.

I've seen size 38-46 of these jackets on the used market, under different brand labels. They're the best value imo. If I come across another one I will put it in the find thread.

Al 916

One Too Many
I agree that jacket look too tight on you Ton. I don't know the history behind that build but I think it could have been a custom one.

FWIW, my stock one is 8" across at the bicep, and is the same as my Schott 618HH, and is somewhere between my premier and 50s Aero Highwayman, premier is skinnier and 50s is a wider. I use these jackets as benchmarks because most here seem to have at least one or multiples of these jackets.

View attachment 543237
View attachment 543238

Your Schott Perfectos size is the size for these JL archive CHPs. They're almost identical in fits at the same tag size, just different styles. I can wear the 42 for T shirt fit and 44 for regular fit. The Schott sizing calculator even suggest me a 46 for a relaxed fit.

The M500 in stock size 40, is like a size 45 Perfecto tapered down to 41, with Aero 50s Highwayman sized sleeves. They're quite comfortable, but the way the panels are put together are more 50s like. The archive ones are more 40s like.

I've seen size 38-46 of these jackets on the used market, under different brand labels. They're the best value imo. If I come across another one I will put it in the find thread.
What hide is the Stock please? (looks very good)

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Just noticed this from their Instagram page. Very sorry that this is ~ 5 months late as he passed in March 2023.

Johnson Leathers

March 2 · Instagram ·
I’m writing to let all of you know that Johnson Tam, the founder of Johnson Leathers passed away in the early morning hours of March 1, 2023, after a six-year battle with cancer. Most of you probably have no idea who Johnson was, but it’s important that you do.
Johnson was an absolute master of the craft, and he would often work late into the evenings because he preferred working alone and undisturbed. He took so much pride in his work and always stressed the importance of quality craftsmanship. Johnson would often examine the work of other makers to see how they did things and find ways to improve. Johnson was a wizard with a pair of scissors, and he was fiercely loyal to his one pair of Shozaburos he'd been using for decades. He enjoyed a good meal, classical music and his favorite color was blue because it reminded him of the sky. He loved living in San Francisco. He spoke with a heavy accent that was often hard to understand. He could be temperamental, impatient, and stubborn, but he was also extremely generous, kind and caring. To some Johnson left an impression of being aloof and reserved, but if he knew you, if he trusted you, he would talk non-stop telling you stories of his life. When he smiled and laughed you knew it was genuine. He never faked it…he didn’t know how.
After Johnson retired in 2019, he would often tell me how he felt he lived a good life and accomplished the things he set out to. He built a successful business. He bought a home, cars, and motorcycles. He traveled the world. He’d come a long way from the 26-year-old that arrived in San Francisco and didn’t speak a word of English.
Periodically he would show up at the shop unannounced, shuffle his way to his worktable and ask if there’s anything he could help with. There always was. Being back at the shop was comforting to him and he enjoyed working without the pressures of running the business. I am thankful for the time we spent together over these past seven years I am thankful for the things he taught me and his mentorship. I am most thankful to have had him as a friend.
Rest in power, my dear friend. You will be missed.

1693433581913.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy