Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jungle gear test

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I have just spent a couple of weeks working in Malaysia, researching the Malayan Emergency of 1948-1960 (or the 'Anti-British Liberation War' depending which side you were on) for a book a guy is writing on the subject.

As the work would involve several expeditions into the Malaysian primary rain forest to visit the sites of sigificant actions between the MNLA and Commonwealth forces, I thought it would be a good opportunity to try out some of the clothing and equipment that was used by the Commonwealth infantry. Basically, I wanted to see if the 1950 Pattern gear really was as unsuitable to jungle service as I have read in contemporary accounts.

I therefore organised a back-to-back test of three sets of clothing meeting the following criteria:
1. The clothing must be original and contemporary - no reproductions or modern equivalents;
2. The clothing should be accurate - as actually worn by serving units at the time and used in the operations I was researching;
3. The whole outfit (jacket, trousers and hat etc.) should cost less than 25 GBP;
4. The load-carrying equipment and footwear were the same in all three trials. The webbing, pouches and pack were contemporary 1944 pattern. As British canvas jungle boots from the period are rare, I used French jungle boots whch are close enough and cheap (<10 Euros) and common enough to wear out.

The pack load was authentic to the time (about 20 kilos) but obviously no weapons and ammunition were carried. I balance this by pointing out that I am more than forty years older than the average Commonwealth soldier* and so can't be expected to carry the same load.

* See Leslie Thomas's series of 'Virgin Soldiers' books.

So, the outfits to be tested were as follows:
1. A 1940s Indian-made British Army drill bush jacket and trousers with felt slouch hat, actually ex-Royal Engineers, but as worn by many infantry units;
2. A 1950 Pattern Aertex bush jacket and cross-over trousers with matching 1950 Pattern bush hat. The jacket was not modified in any way - removing the belt was common, as shown on the dummy in the Somerset Light Infantry Museum at Taunton;
3. A set of Ghurka jungle uniform in JG drill with 1950 Pattern bush hat. Note that the trousers are NOT the cross-over pattern.

The test was to wear the gear while following the type of forest trails* taken by the units being researched in actual actions, covering as much ground as the patrols would have covered. In all, three day long walks covering an average of ten miles each were made in each set of gear. This is reasonable for the jungle, and is probably more than the soldiers would have done in the actual actions, as a lot of time was spent lying in ambush.
* Some areas such as Kuala Langat, which were isolated and almost inaccessible in the 1950s are now developed into vacation resorts, palm oil plantations and even an international airport!

The results were that the 1950 Pattern gear performed very poorly, as was reported at the time. The Aertex soon became sodden and uncomfortable, the trouser buckles ground into my hips and the jacket belt caught up in the equipment belt. The cross-belt feature, which was intended to allow regular adjustment during a patrol as weight is lost through dehydration, did not work in practice. Everything that Mike Chappell says about the uniform (he served in the campaign) proved to be true. I would not recommend this outfit for use even in mild jungle exploration.

Both the 1940s Indian and the Ghurka Regiment uniforms were superior, with (perhaps predictably) little to choose between them, although I preferred the Ghurka shorts, which have no waist buckles to cause discomfort. Also, the Ghurka shirt was better in practice than the 1940s bush jacket. Unfortunately, the insects preferrred the shorts, too. I hope my Dengue fever injections work...The drill material of both did become sodden, but not to the same extent as the Aertex and dried out more quickly. The felt slouch hat looked the part but the leather sweat band became uncomfortable when soaked. I used the old trick of wetting the canvas bush hats to keep my head cool. It works.

The 1944 Pattern load carrying equipment and boots performed well. It would have been instructive to include the previous 1944 Pattern 'Lethbridge' jungle outfit in the test to go with the webbing, but the cost of an original example would rule this out.

So...what? Well, I think I found that British equipment specification, does not always 'move forward', that you should avoid Aertex in high humidity situations* and that the Ghurkas know best. I hope this information is useful to potential vintage explorers.

* Results in desert conditions may be different.

Edward

Bartender
Interesting results, HJ - thanks for posting! Don't suppose you have any photos of your outfits during the experiment?

number6

Familiar Face
testing

Thanks for an interesting read , good work on the testing method too.

Paul.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Thought you must have gone bush, A.

Brilliant first-hand, horses mouth information, as we have come to expect.
I hope it wasn't too uncumfortable.
Greatly appreciated.

Those palm plantations are pretty amazing from the air.
I look forward to returning to Malaysia.

Regards,
B
T

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Edward said:
Interesting results, HJ - thanks for posting! Don't suppose you have any photos of your outfits during the experiment?

Edward - thanks, I'm glad you find this sort of thing interesting. If you want to ask any specific questions I'm more than pleased to answer.

You're right - I don't have any photographs. The guy I was with took a lot (some of which will be in his book) but I don't have them and wouldn't have the copyright anyway. I'm sure you understand.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Thanks. I have an invitation to the Yemen to do a similar thing in a desert environment. I'm not sure when this will be but if anyone is interested I'll keep you posted.

number6 said:
Thanks for an interesting read , good work on the testing method too.

Paul.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Are the non-cellular fabrics you wore relatively dense/heavy or special lightweight ones for jungle use? I ask because in my non-tropical experience heavier cotton canvas works well in hot weather. It can only get so wet. And because it's heavy it hangs rather than clings.

I look forward to reading about your Yemen visit, if that comes off.

That old military Aertex does get wringing wet, especially if worn next to the skin. But it dries out very quickly. Given that it's aerated and has a lot of movement in it, I guess it would be at its best in dry heat -- if that makes sense.

number6

Familiar Face
gear

H.Johnson said:
Thanks. I have an invitation to the Yemen to do a similar thing in a desert environment. I'm not sure when this will be but if anyone is interested I'll keep you posted.

Sounds good , yes indeed do keep us posted.

Paul.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
CP,

The WW2 Indian-woven cotton drill is often somewhat lighter and more tightly woven than the British equivalent. The fabric from which the Ghurka gear is made is very like the 'Lethbridge' 1944 Pattern jungle gear but in a darker green - quite heavy and rather stiff. Both of the heavier fabrics retained less water than the Aertex and, as you say, it stays away from the body and doesn't cling so uncomfortably.

The 1944 pattern load carrying equipment (also produced on the recommendation of the Lethbridge Commission) was a revelation - lightweight and waterproof, it worked as well or better than an modern rucksack, IMO.

I agree that the Aertex fabric is at its best in desert (dry heat) conditions. Pressing it into jungle service was not a could idea IMO. Presumably the beautifully designed 1944 Pattern clothing was too expensive to produce post war.

Creeping Past said:
Are the non-cellular fabrics you wore relatively dense/heavy or special lightweight ones for jungle use? I ask because in my non-tropical experience heavier cotton canvas works well in hot weather. It can only get so wet. And because it's heavy it hangs rather than clings.

I look forward to reading about your Yemen visit, if that comes off.

That old military Aertex does get wringing wet, especially if worn next to the skin. But it dries out very quickly. Given that it's aerated and has a lot of movement in it, I guess it would be at its best in dry heat -- if that makes sense.

Edward

Bartender
H.Johnson said:
Edward - thanks, I'm glad you find this sort of thing interesting. If you want to ask any specific questions I'm more than pleased to answer.

You're right - I don't have any photographs. The guy I was with took a lot (some of which will be in his book) but I don't have them and wouldn't have the copyright anyway. I'm sure you understand.

Shame, but yes, I know exactly what you mean with respect to copyright! I find your experience interesting in large part as i have made several trips to China over the past few years. Primarily for work (doing some teaching in a partner university in Beijing), but I have tacked on several holidays to those trips also. The longest I've spent in such a hot climate, and increasingly I have found that older, vintage style clothing is most practical out there. I'm tempted, the next time I go back, to wear my WPG safari shirt-jacket, as the combination of light-weight, pockets etc would be very practical. I wish I'd managed to pick up a green one while Soldier of Fortune still stocked them, as that might stick out a bit less for town-wear... In general, my experience out there has been city-bound (with occasional out of town trips to, for instance, the Wall, or the Terracota Army in Xi'An). In Hong Kong I did encounter severe humidity, much beyond any damp heat I've experienced before. That said, as we hit HK in 2008 during the worst rain in 120-odd years, it wasn't anywhere near as bad as it could have been! So mostly, really, I was in dry heat, for which my stuff was ideal. I'd like to experience the sort of jungle climate of which you have told us, and it's interesting to hear how the equipment is appropriate or otherwise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner