Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just bought a 1963 Irvin Foster G-1 jacket

Raul

One of the Regulars
I just bought this G-1 jacket on ebay. It's an Irvin B. Foster, B series from 1963 so it should be real goat and mouton collar, from the pics it seems in good conditions, here it is (pics are from the auction as it is not in my hands yet):
nBYyDyP.jpg

yA8ZY6o.jpg

5l2ipGC.jpg

Last edited:

Raul

One of the Regulars
I can agree, but I suppose someone in the family (or the guy himself) at some point decided to sell the jacket. I was also considering to get a new repro name-tag with a different name on it, but I don't want to ruin the jacket's look

I always feel a bit sad when I see jackets like this with the name tag attacahed. I can't help feeling that this guy's grandkids would love to have his old jacket.

Peacoat

Bartender
I can agree, but I suppose someone in the family (or the guy himself) at some point decided to sell the jacket. I was also considering to get a new repro name-tag with a different name on it, but I don't want to ruin the jacket's look
Your jacket probably has a velcro name tag. Mine does, and I put my own name tag on it. Not exactly accurate as mine has the Army aviator wings with the "US Army" logo under my name. Some would cringe at this, but it is easily removed.

I wish the Army would go with a G-1 type flight jacket, but with he mindset that we are all infantrymen first, that ain't gonna happen. Wasn't that way when I was in. We were distinctively pilots first. Infantry generals didn't like that; they were determined to change our thinking.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
By the looks of it, the zip fitted was shorter than the jacket, so it was stretched to the length, then it shrank over time, causing the 'pull' on the right hand panel. Not much you can do, but it's proof of how-make-do-and-mend the construction of these things was.

Raul

One of the Regulars
By the looks of it, the zip fitted was shorter than the jacket, so it was stretched to the length, then it shrank over time, causing the 'pull' on the right hand panel. Not much you can do, but it's proof of how-make-do-and-mend the construction of these things was.

Do you think it can be worth to look for a vintage/nos replacement zip for it? The one on the jacket is a Talon, is it original to the jacket or a replacement?:
I3Egy7x.jpg

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
You could get the zip tape replaced and get the repairer to swap the zipper over. I had an original Cable Raincoat A-2 in a far worse condition than yours but with a similar zipper problem. Aero swapped out the original zip tape put back the original zipper. It doesn't solve the whole problem - that's 50 years of wear you have there - but it will give it a bit better fit. That said, it's lovely jacket as it is, so I wouldn't lose sleep on it.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Your jacket probably has a velcro name tag. Mine does, and I put my own name tag on it. Not exactly accurate as mine has the Army aviator wings with the "US Army" logo under my name. Some would cringe at this, but it is easily removed.

I wish the Army would go with a G-1 type flight jacket, but with he mindset that we are all infantrymen first, that ain't gonna happen. Wasn't that way when I was in. We were distinctively pilots first. Infantry generals didn't like that; they were determined to change our thinking.

Yeah, the Marines were like that too. Luckily, we got all our flight gear from the Navy!

I never quite understood why making Army pilots proud of being Army AND pilots was such a bad thing.

I knew a few Army pilots who did some crazy brave things....and their outerwear didn’t enter into it.

Raul

One of the Regulars
Just got the jacket, apart from the zip issue (it seems it should have been a blackened Conmar zipper so probably it was replaced at some point with the a bit-shorter Talon), there is an issue with cuffs, one is a replacement, it's shorter and also of a different brown. There is a few small hole in cuffs and waistband and these can be fixed, but I don't know what to do about that cuff, maybe to look for a replacement? I don't think one piece original of the same color is easily available, I know there are new replacement sets (waistband and cuffs) but I don't know which one would be the correct type and colour for my jacket [maybe rib-rack seal brown?] and I don't want ending to pay a lot to correct this defect. Advices? Thanks
2nC0FCu.jpg

Last edited:

Raul

One of the Regulars
Here is my jacket finally a bit restored, I took apart the zipper, painted the green zip tape in dark brown and had it mounted again in a better way (it was badly stretched and the leather didn't cover it when closed), then replaced waistband and cuffs with japan Mash repros, and completed with a treatment with Lexol

wNKV39p.jpg

a>

breezer

Practically Family
I always feel a bit sad when I see jackets like this with the name tag attacahed. I can't help feeling that this guy's grandkids would love to have his old jacket.

why? The next generation don't want our old stuff...........when Bowie died his kids sold off his modern art collection in hot second......thats just the way it goes.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here is my jacket finally a bit restored, I took apart the zipper, painted the green zip tape in dark brown and had it mounted again in a better way (it was badly stretched and the leather didn't cover it when closed), then replaced waistband and cuffs with japan Mash repros, and completed with a treatment with Lexol

wNKV39p.jpg

a>
Absolutely beautiful Raul! Hard to believe that this is the same jacket you posted back in February. It looks great!

Raul

One of the Regulars
Well, I forgot one thing, before replacing those parts I put it into the washer machine, cold water and a bit of mild detergent, so I have the confirmation that leather jackets can be washed without any big risk. Leather didn't suffer and the mouton collar came out great and clean.

TlRVdDd.jpg

Last edited:

draš katalenić

One of the Regulars
Just got the jacket, apart from the zip issue (it seems it should have been a blackened Conmar zipper so probably it was replaced at some point with the a bit-shorter Talon), there is an issue with cuffs, one is a replacement, it's shorter and also of a different brown. There is a few small hole in cuffs and waistband and these can be fixed, but I don't know what to do about that cuff, maybe to look for a replacement? I don't think one piece original of the same color is easily available, I know there are new replacement sets (waistband and cuffs) but I don't know which one would be the correct type and colour for my jacket [maybe rib-rack seal brown?] and I don't want ending to pay a lot to correct this defect. Advices? Thanks
2nC0FCu.jpg
If you want to replace cuffs, you can find it on ebay, seller is lb4041j. Bought cuffs from him for my jacket and i am satisfied with quality and colour.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB