Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just bought an old Aero Highwayman. Arrives friday

gmaki

New in Town
Thought I'd post here since during my research on the jacket I found the best info about Aero on this forum. So it seems like you guys know your jackets here.

As a matter of fact I am pretty sure that I bought the exact same jacket previously owned by a member here:

tmitchell59

**EDIT: It is NOT this jacket

And pictured in this thread:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/video-aero-highwayman-connely-steerhide.85759/

**EDIT: Turns out it was not the same. Just very similar.

Anyway I suppose I will know for sure when it arrives on Friday (it was an ebay purchase).

Not too long ago I acquired an 80's vintage Schott 141 that I love, and that has sort of led me to wanting another nice leather jacket with different styling. The Highwayman seemed like a nice next jacket. I am sure it won't be my last. As a matter of fact I have been thinking I should get a nice brown leather jacket. So the search goes on!

I'll be sure to show some more pics of the jacket in this thread later.

Last edited:

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Thought I'd post here since during my research on the jacket I found the best info about Aero on this forum. So it seems like you guys know your jackets here.

As a matter of fact I am pretty sure that I bought the exact same jacket previously owned by a member here:

tmitchell59

And pictured in this thread:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/video-aero-highwayman-connely-steerhide.85759/

Anyway I suppose I will know for sure when it arrives on Friday (it was an ebay purchase).

Not too long ago I acquired an 80's vintage Schott 141 that I love, and that has sort of led me to wanting another nice leather jacket with different styling. The Highwayman seemed like a nice next jacket. I am sure it won't be my last. As a matter of fact I have been thinking I should get a nice brown leather jacket. So the search goes on!

I'll be sure to show some more pics of the jacket in this thread later.
Welcome to the lounge Maki.
Great start with that jacket. I’d be remiss if i didn’t say “by all means you need a brown one”...and a...and a...
Again, welcome.
Bowen

gmaki

New in Town
Oh yeah, I need a brown one. I really like some of the brown jackets I have seen.

I find I gravitate toward used slightly weathered looking jackets as opposed to brand new (which has saved me a ton of money too).

I also have another interesting jacket I may pull out of the closet and show you guys to get some thoughts. It is something I have been meaning to have cleaned and/or restored for many years.

gmaki

New in Town
So somehow it came in today. And man... I tried it on and this thing is nice. It might be just the excitement of a new jacket but this things feels significantly better than the Schott. and I love the Schott.

Anyway, here are a few quick pictures I took. Also I think I was wrong I don't think this is the same jacket from those earlier posts because I am unable to find any of the holes in the sleeves that tmitchell59 mentioned with is jacket. Everything else is very much the same though. But this must be a different, albeit nearly identically spec'ed jacket. And it is sweet

1Y4jtPD.jpg

UtHjOca.jpg

BGRNkHW.jpg

Last edited:

gmaki

New in Town
And just real quick, this is a little something that maybe some here would find interesting. This is my fathers letterman jacket from Hollywood High, 1955. I have been holding on to this for several years, not quite sure what to do with it. I hope to clean it up or restore it (whatever that might mean) and return it to him.

But of course I do not want to ruin it or destroy it's originality in any way.

REioD2f.jpg

dannyk

One Too Many
Schott are great off the rack, widely available jackets. Once you start discovering the types of jackets we talk about here though, you will realize that Schott is great for what it is, but its nothing compared to these types. When you have a chance lets see some fit pics of you and the Highwayman. Also your dads old letterman is in amazing shape still.

gmaki

New in Town
Yeah I was kinda shocked at how much softer the leather feels on the Aero, even though it is seemingly just as heavy as the Schott. I still really like the Schott is a little stiffer, it is more like a motorcycle jacket, and the Aero is more stylish I guess.

I am quite happy with both and can see switching between them for different occasions (and different weather as the aero is warmer). But you're right the Aero is a couple steps up. It also just has a more finished construction if that makes sense.

Horseoak

Familiar Face
And just real quick, this is a little something that maybe some here would find interesting. This is my fathers letterman jacket from Hollywood High, 1955. I have been holding on to this for several years, not quite sure what to do with it. I hope to clean it up or restore it (whatever that might mean) and return it to him.

REioD2f.jpg
Awesome letterman jacket. For leather nicks and scratches I use a homemade conditioner made of beeswax, lanolin, almond oil, castor oil & coconut oil. It's a similar mixture that Horween would use to actually vegetable tan the leather, minus the beef tallows and bark extract (and other goodies). This has a really amazing cleaning effect as well, so just a thought. To be honest, LL Bean Boot Guard is really good stuff and made with similar ingredients and I also use this to repair scratches, condition and clean spots on leather. May be worth a try on an inconspicuous spot to see how the leather reacts.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

REioD2f.jpg
That would be a fine thing for a Son to do for his Father. It will mean more than you can imagine. Use Febreze if there is smell. I’m sure the leather parts would be fine with a very light scrub. Baby shampoo or Dawn is gentle. Just a touch. Pics when done??
Bowen

Peacoat

Bartender
Two different jackets from two separate posters should be two separate threads.

I think you are beginning to find there is a world of difference between Schott and Aero. Congratulations on a good jacket and a good fit.

gmaki

New in Town
Two different jackets from two separate posters should be two separate threads.

I think you are beginning to find there is a world of difference between Schott and Aero. Congratulations on a good jacket and a good fit.

Actually all the jackets are mine. And I didn't want to make a bunch of multiple threads since this is really just about the Aero.

I edited my original post to clarify that this is NOT the same jacket from the earlier thread. Remarkably similar though.

Peacoat

Bartender
Actually all the jackets are mine. And I didn't want to make a bunch of multiple threads since this is really just about the Aero.
Sorry my error. I thought the second jacket was from a different poster. Now I see it is also one of your jackets. Got in a hurry (as usual) and made a mistake. I have been a member of this forum since January, 2006. By now I shouldn't make mistakes like that.

gmaki

New in Town
Sorry my error. I thought the second jacket was from a different poster. Now I see it is also one of your jackets. Got in a hurry (as usual) and made a mistake. I have been a member of this forum since January, 2006. By now I shouldn't make mistakes like that.

LOL, no worries. Not sure of the rules and this is actually kind of a messy thread. Maybe if I clean that Letterman's jacket up I will give it it's own thread. Assuming I do a decent job and don't end up ruining it.

Gamma68

One Too Many
Awesome letterman jacket. For leather nicks and scratches I use a homemade conditioner made of beeswax, lanolin, almond oil, castor oil & coconut oil. It's a similar mixture that Horween would use to actually vegetable tan the leather, minus the beef tallows and bark extract (and other goodies). This has a really amazing cleaning effect as well, so just a thought. To be honest, LL Bean Boot Guard is really good stuff and made with similar ingredients and I also use this to repair scratches, condition and clean spots on leather. May be worth a try on an inconspicuous spot to see how the leather reacts.

I have some Bean Boot Guard and wondered how it effective it would be as a conditioner for a leather jacket.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Nice work on the Aero, yes, they really do spoil you for others indeed.

Great of you to keep onto your father's letterman jacket. As others have said, careful the the restoration, and hope it's a real treat for him when you give it back. All my dad's old High School and college wears are long gone.

gmaki

New in Town
I just ordered some LL Bean Boot Guard so I will try that on an inconspicuous spot when it arrives. I'll update here once I know how it went.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy