Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just got from JJ...

ObscureRefMan

New in Town
OK. I just picked up my new hat, and I love it! It's a bit of a story, so bear with me...

I went into NYC on the train. Yes, the fare was a bit much, but I was going to make a day of it; go to JJ Hat Shop (32nd), then up to Arnold Hats (36th), then to Worth&Worth (55th). Also planned to meet up with a friend & catch lunch somewhere interesting. Besides, I had to try on several hats – I'm not able to buy according to a picture online.

Well… As soon as I get on the train, I see someone I know; Joe from the store where I get pens & such (fountain pens – another "old style" penchant of mine). He seems a bit busy with the crossword puzzle, so I let him alone. After the first stop, I see a woman I work with, her husband and two their girls – they're going in to see "Wicked" on Broadway. Chris, the husband, asks me what I'm doing, and I reply, "Shopping". "For what?", he asks. I say, "Hats." He asks, "What kind?". "Fedora." This kind of hangs in the air, and he says, "Oh." Not surprising.

When we get into Penn Station, we say goodbye. And I say "hi" and "goodbye" to Joe (he was going to see Dame Edna). I get my bearings, and head off to JJ. I figure I should move briskly, because I have three shops to hit, and have to make the 3:30 train to be back in time to meet friends – and, I hope, show off my new hat. I walk into JJ, and am greeted by several friendly employees, all wearing hats (fedora, cap, etc.). The store is as it looks on the web site. Imagine the side cabinets running the length of the store – and jam packed with hats. Even more than they have on the site. I'm greeted by Adonis (his real name) who is a friendly, helpful guy. After chatting a bit (as it turns out, we're both big fans of "Guys & Dolls"), he kind of "sizes me up", and pulls out a Lagomarsino. I try it on, and I like it, but need to see more. I try on a LOT of hats – fedora style, but higher crown, wider brim, etc. And after a while, I finally settle on my favorite – the one he picked out in the first place! Either he got lucky, or just has a really good eye & sense for his customer. And it's just what I wanted – fedora, not too dressy, just casual. So… I was done! No need to even visit Worth&Worth or Arnold. So I have plenty of time to eat lunch (my friend Kevin was not available), and catch the 1:39 to be back with time to spare. As I'm walking around, trying to find a place for lunch, I keep catching myself looking at my reflection in every window & mirror! This is one sweet hat!

Once back on Long Island, when I got to the bar, the first thing my friend Suzanne says is, "Hey, it's Indiana Jones!" Which is fair – I was wearing my leather jacket. I was actually surprised; I was expecting some amount of derision – I am the "odd" one, after all. But the hat (and its owner) was accepted with no other commentary.

And now, I'm already thinking of my next hat – gray, higher crown, flat (not teardrop) crease. Something a little fancier to wear when going out, say, to dance.

Maybe in another thread, I'll post pics of a few other hats I already own. In the meantime, thanks for your kind indulgence.

-Dave (aka Obscure Reference Man)

P. S. I tried to post some pics, but was not able to. I'll try again. If no luck, look for my cries of help...

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Good evening Obscure,

I think you need to link your pics rather than upload them- I do. You can use Photobucket or whatever as a pic host and link the images from there.
There was a time, way back when- we could "attach" pics- but no more...
...I can't anyway- at the bottom of this page, as I write, I am told;

"Posting Rules:
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts"

... may post new threads... yeh!, right! but not a picture of my new threads...

Damn robots!

BT.

artboynyc

New in Town
Glad you had such a good experience. I may stop by JJ sometime next week just to see the range of their options. Enjoy the new hat.

Canadave

One Too Many
ObscureRefMan said:
...Check the links (I wasn't able to post a shot. I hope these work.)

I registered, then got this message;

"Album Not Found

The link you are using is no longer valid. If this link was sent to you in an email and you would like to view the photos, you will need to contact the album owner and have them share the album using Ofoto's share feature.

If the link was to your own album and you would like to link your album from a personal web site or create a custom email message, please follow these instructions:

1. Share the album with yourself, from the "Share Photos" tab, with your own email address in the "To" field.
2. After you receive the share email, copy the URL, or web address, included at the bottom of the email.
3. This web address can be sent to friends or family with a custom email message, or you can use it to add to your personal web site."

David

ObscureRefMan

New in Town
Thanks for the info, Dave. And sorry. I just registered, and thought all I had to was post the links. Oh well. I'll try to fix it up tonight.

There's a place on LI where I get pens - Huntington Business Products Center. They have a pen fair once a year. I've gotten a few bargains...

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I can't wait to see the pics. Great story.

You guys on the East coast are hoggin' all the hatshops. We have Baron hats and a few Boot Barns in California, along with the Village Hat Shop here and their, though outside of Baron hats there is no history in the hat shops out here. all the good ones went out of business decades ago.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Yep!

...sure can. Nice hat.
Next time maybe you could stand to get a higher crown and bit wider brim, as it would suit your face ;) -if it suits you to do so, of course.
I have a small, wide face- a caricature of my real me... hrumphh...

Well done-
BT.

ObscureRefMan

New in Town
Whew!!

I'm glad I got it to work. (I will definitely be playing with that web site tonight. I've got a bunch of photos to upload and share with friends and family.)

BT - That's what I was thinking for my next hat. Something "dressier"; higher crown, maybe wider brim, in gray. Thanks for the feedback!

artboynyc

New in Town
Just had a great experience at JJ's myself.

I walked over to the shop over my lunch hour to browse. The owner told me that selection was a little limited at the moment, because they were in the process of switching the bulk of their inventory from felt to straw for the spring. Neverthless, he showed me a Lagorismo in my size, which is a pretty nice hat at that. (I like the Cervo a lot better, though.)

In order to try on this hat, I took off the one I was wearing and laid it crown-down on the counter. The owner glanced at it, then picked it up, dumbfounded, and (after asking my permission) flipped open the sweatband.

"This is a nice hat you got here," he said. "From Levine in St. Louis?"

"Yeah, I picked it up there a couple of years ago for about $50," I told him.

"Really? That hat's got to be about 30 years old, at least," he said. He then handed it to one of his employees -- who used to work at Stetson -- who looked at the serial number and confirmed this. "It's at least 30 years old, probably older," he told me. The owner then insisted that the rest of his crew take a look at it.

I've read post after post on this message board about how lousy new Stetsons are, and I always felt kind of sheepish because I liked mine so much. It's a taupe fedora with a slight taper and a wide, slightly curved, bound brim. The felt feels smooth and dense and flexible. It looks brand new. I have no idea how or why Levine was selling it for such a price (or if they have any more like it) but the quality of the hat makes a lot more sense now. Have I mentioned what a great store Levine Hat Co. is?

Victor

One of the Regulars
I have the same hat. I really like the felt. Its not my everyday hat but i like to wear it with my black trenchcoat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR