Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just had my first Professional Shave...

farnham54

A-List Customer
Hey guys and gals,

I just had my first pro shave at a barber shop here in Dublin about an hour ago, and I must say I HATED it!! Never have I had such bad razor burn before in my life.

The big Turkish chap doing the job first brought out a hot towel and manhandled my face about with the towel searing my eyes. My head felt a bit like a basketball by the time he was done. Then, out came the soap, brush, and straight edge, and away he went. He WAS very good with the razor, he got every square millimeter of my face very efficiently. It was like watching a painter (when I had the guts to open my eyes--Large, intimidating men with sharp objects near critical veins and arteries tend to make me a bit nervous). Then, it was back on with the Hot Towel, manhandling toned down a bit for this second application.

This is where things got weird though; when he was done this second towel application, he pulled out what I can only describe as a paperless Orbital sander and he went to work on my head and shoulders. I guess it was part of the package for some sort of shave AND massage deal...That must have been in the fine print. After a few minutes, I was mighty relaxed, I must say...But still, it struck me as unorthodox.

So I left the barber shop not feeling any different then if I had shaved myself with my Mach 3 and some Barbasol...and within a few minutes my face was BURNING! I rushed to the nearest pharmacie and bought some aftershave balm (non-alcoholic, so it would sooth a bit better) and ran back to my hostel and full kilter. Razor burn abound all over my face, I sloshed the aftershave about for instant relief. Now, the redness has died down and I DID get a close shave, but I must say I was not impressed overall.

So tell me, gents-who-are-in-the-know, Was my experience standard for a Barber Shop shave? If so, I think I'll stick to my good buddy Gillette.

Cheers,

Craig

farnham54

A-List Customer
Old hat: I don't think this was typical of a shave from a barber--it sure didn't seem professional. The razor burn has subsided now, and it WAS a crazy close shave...but still, not worth the money. I think the skill, along with a lot of others, has skipped a generation and these young guys are still learning the ins and outs of the trade. So maybe that's why they aren't too good at it.

Ken: you are most likeley correct--I know I must have been either drunk or mad to pay $15 for something like that! :cheers1: :beer: :eek: [huh]

Cheers,

craig

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I have worked in barber shops,and while I' m not liscenced to do a razor shave, I have witnessed many. I sounds like the massage was a bit much. In school, we were taught to do a facial massage during a shave, usually after the shave with some kind of healing balm. The burning is unusual. I agree with Old_Hat that it might have been an allergic reaction to a product. If you're interested in trying again, look for an old barber shop that has lots of older clients and barbers. Another option would be to look for a multi-racial barber shop. Black men tend to have very sensative skin and black barbers are great at getting a close shave without irratating the skin.
kamikat

Slicksuit

One of the Regulars
I wouldn't write-off barbershop shaves just yet. Wait a little while and try a different barber.

Maybe your skin is sensitive. Have you recently exfoliated? What other types of products, ointments, medications have you recently used on your face? Do you have a fair complexion, one that shows redness easily?

Personally, my barbershop shave experience didn't leave me feeling that it was any closer than one done at home. I follow a regimen - always shave after the shower (hair is most moist at this point), use quality product (no disposable razors, none of that cheapo aerosolized foam), and never shave against the grain. Frequently I may have to do a second shave on the neck/chin area, and I'll do a sideways shave at that point. And as nostalgic as the scent of old spice or other old aftershaves are, I never use them, as they almost always contain alchohol.

Most importanly, don't hurry a shave -- it's a ritual. Take your time, and you should have no nicks. In the rare instance that you do, use an alum block to stop the bleeding (not toiletpaper). Alum blocks have natural antiseptic qualities.

If this is more information than seems necessary, then my apologies. Just my 2 cents.

Brad A. Cox

Familiar Face
Not to make a joke out of this but I have a real problem with somebody that I do not know holding a razor to my throat. I used to watch it being done when I was a kid by a guy who had a bad case of the shakes and it didn't look very safe to me. Chaps would sit there and let old Mr. Barber Shaker Hands run a razor around their throat. That was after having a steaming hot towl laid across the five o'clock shadow. :rage: After the face was toasted lobster red the guy would start that painful looking razor shave. Ouch!!!

farnham54

A-List Customer
I know what you mean, Brad! I guess I was feeling either very adventurous or very trusting that day :)

I¨ve gone back to my old reliable: Barbasol and a Trac II ¨(I used to use one of those Mach 3 Turbos, which work rather well but are a bit gimmicky, but i switched to the trac II when travelling because blades are cheaper (in case airport security decides thez want em, then its no big loss) and much easier to find.

Cheers,

Craig

matei

One Too Many
I'm coming into this thread a bit late, but... was the barber shop on O'Connell Street, just after the bridge? There are a number of barbers here in Dublin that are starting to offer hot towel shaves.

I was quite surprised to see this service offered on the "northside" of town, in a rather dodgy area. Cut-throat razor indeed...

If it is the place on O'Connell Street, I had actually heard that those guys are quite good... I am due to go in for a shave in about a weeks time.

farnham54

A-List Customer
Ah a Dubliner eh!

No, this wasn't on O'Connel street--this one was just behind the Quey's Bar right near that Square in the Temple area.

I loved the city, by the way!

Cheers,
Craig

farnham54

A-List Customer
Daryl,

Currently I'm calling Sydney Australia home (though on my last post I was in Alice Springs) I quite like it here and may stay a while! Trip has been amazing so far, and I really can't complain about the plus 30 weather :D

Cheers,
Craig

matei

One Too Many
Kinda - we lived in city centre for about 2 years and then moved out to the "suburbs", to the extreme north of Co. Dublin... :cry:

It is a fun town. I'm glad you liked it.

I think I know which barber you mean.
farnham54 said:
Ah a Dubliner eh!

No, this wasn't on O'Connel street--this one was just behind the Quey's Bar right near that Square in the Temple area.

I loved the city, by the way!

Cheers,
Craig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy