Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Karl Ort jackets-can anyone help here?

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In Full Gear there is a label from Karl Ort. I know the firm sold a range of aviation gear, but I suspect they did not make everything they sold in the 1930s/40s. I have found this on the internet.
Karl Ort - York, Penna
Any kid who was interested in aviation in
the late 30s will have a déjà vu when he
reads that headline! Karl Ort was the source
for all kinds of aviation items in those years.
His catalog was an encyclopedia of aviation
"stuff," His little catalog, priced at a dime -
"send a dime to Karl Ort" - was a door to
dreams for airplane kids. And a lot of
people bought stuff from Karl. Hisso
engines sold for $97 each. Karl had
clothing, and kids all wanted to buy helmets
and goggles, but money was tight. Today a
Karl Ort catalog sells for between $40 and
$75, depending on condition.
- - - - - -

I have also found this information about Karl Ort, who I presume is the same guy who ran the Karl Ort business.

One of the first local pilots, Karl Ort, became known nationwide as a seller of surplus aircraft parts and supplies. Mr. Ort was born December 19, 1896, the son of John C. and Martha Ort. He was a 1914 graduate of William Penn High School. He was well known by his friends and acquaintances for his long white beard. Known nationally as a pioneer of aviation, he was the 996th pilot registered in the United States and the 12th registered in Pennsylvania. He flew in the Air Corps in World War I. He later became a founding member of the Daedalians, a nationwide air corps club for World War I veteran pilots. He was called as a military advisor in World War II. Mr. Ort was the founder and president of the oldest aviation supply house in existence, Surplus Trader, Inc. He was a graduate of Franklin and Marshall College. He died on December 26,

My question is did they make the A2s which they sold or were they bought in from another maker and badged up with the Karl Ort label?

aswatland

Baron Kurtz said:
Did you buy that Karl Ort jacket, Andrew? It was an interesting one, certainly …

bk

Yes! And apparently Gordon and Fergusson made their A2s. The zipper box configuration is very similar to M422s, so it does make sense.

Andrew,

Were you as interested by the size tag as I was? Strange to find an apparent military spec size tag stitched in with an apparent civilian maker's label, no? Do I also see the remnants of stitch holes in the upper left of the picture in the lining, where another label may at some point have been attached?

IMG_0395_003.JPG

bk

aswatland

On p.155 of Full Gear I have just found an extract from the 1939 Karl Ort Catalogue. There is a picture of their A2. It retailed for $13.95. Times have certainly changed!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany