Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Katniss leather jacket desired

Harper

New in Town
I would like to get a jacket sort of like a male version of the Katniss jacket from Hunger games. Something that is good for the woods or the or the office. Designed for easy movement whether shooting a bow or a gun; cracking a whip or throwing a knife. Does anyone have a jacket that I could use as a basis for design? Or does such a thing exist as "ready-made"? I was thinking that Johnson Leather might be able to do it. Suggestions of any type would be welcome.

I've been thinking along a similar line.
Something around 27" long...
I believe they were called Sportswear jackets in the 30s.
I've seen some good ones on eBay UK.
Like the cycle jackets but 2-3" longer.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Katniss-the-hunger-games-28920846-1250-1599.jpg

jennifer-lawrence-katniss-leather-jacket.jpg

Zipper pull is on the men's side. Surcoat length, bi-swing, belted back, elasticized sides. Has a definite '50s look to it. As to the leather, if it were a vintage piece, I would want to say deer/buckskin. It was probably made specifically for the movie, and looks like it drapes like sheepskin/lamb. The collar looks more modern than the overall cut of the jacket.
While not technically incorrect, this style was not specifically called a "sportswear jacket" at any point.

Last edited:

Harper

New in Town
HandyMike, actually, if you took the "dr. who" jacket, shortened it a bit, made it single-breasted, and used a zipper instead of the buttons, the look would be about right, I think. Then we could worry about the ability to move in it. What do you think?

Harper

New in Town
Dinerman, what would the style be called? It was referred to as a hunting jacket, but we all know about movies and their sometimes iffy technical accuracy. It doesn't really seem to resemble too closely any of the styles I have seen here on the lounge or at the various purveyors' web sites that I have searched. That is why I was looking at Johnson and a custom/semi-custom, and asking for advice and suggestions here.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
At the time, it probably would have been referred to as a leather surcoat. These days, most people would use the term, "long half belt".

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

On a sort of related research on Indian and Civil War uniforms, I noted that Officer's wore Frock Coats that are near knee length. Officers quit wearing them because the longer length tangled them up in the brush and on horseback. By Mid-Civil War many (most?) officers wore a sack coat (shorter length) or cavalry style jackets. I'm guessing that the length you want for a hunting jacket is just long enough so that you can put an ammo belt around your waist without it slipping down over the bottom of the jacket.

Just m $0.02

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The elasticated bit made me think of european jackets...Not sure if I can find pictures but it was common on wool as well as leather sportswear.

Harper

New in Town
1961MJS, good point about the length. The picture that Dinerman posted shows that your idea/observation is spot-on. The most workable length seems to be about the same as what is being sold as a "car coat" in that it is long enough to protect but short enough to not cause a problem for sitting or getting in the way of your legs when walking. The half-belts, from what I have seen/read seem to have been more designed for the laborer/working man than the woodsman.

HandyMike, actually, if you took the "dr. who" jacket, shortened it a bit, made it single-breasted, and used a zipper instead of the buttons, the look would be about right, I think. Then we could worry about the ability to move in it. What do you think?

I have one that I love the style of, but it's too big for me and I haven't worn it in years:

I agree that you don't see many jackets being made nowadays in this length. I'd love to find one, as I work on locations outside a lot and want a longer vintage inspired leather jacket. It will be interesting to see the fit of the French CanCan "Hunter", but I fear it's just another waist length style.

So here's a shot of the front of the jacket:

and here are a couple from the Himel Bros. Vintage section:

and here's one on ebay if you're a SMALL:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-RARE-L...pt=Vintage_Men_s_Clothing&hash=item53f91d2331

The thing is that a lot of these jackets (27-29" length) had belts and not side adjusters on them.
Lots have lost the belts over the years, and so you end up with 2 buttons on the back.
There are 2 sellers on eBay UK that have these up once in a while, at least in Winter months.

Last edited:

Graemsay

Practically Family
The Aero Leathers Northeaster is a similar style, albeit with different details. If you stripped off the belt, requested plain cuffs, added a bi-swing back, and re-arranged the pockets then you'd be pretty close. Or request elasticated sides on a long half-belt.

719516506aba54f6_Northeaster%20Cinch%20Undone-500.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24