Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keeping the Faith

Feraud

Bartender
Bebop said:
You should flee the road for the same reason pedestrians should flee the road. Self preservation. Especially when you have faith that most drivers are idiots.

You also have the right to walk down a dark alley in a bad neighborhood but if you have common sense, you won't.

It is not a matter of blaming the victim or what any law states. It's a matter of common sense.
I think it comes down to risky behaviour. Some people think skydiving is worth the risk and some people don't.

Do you think reckless drivers bear any responsibility for their actions or is this a case of everyone needing to make way for the less responsible of us in society?

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Midnight Palace said:
<snip>"People don't just decide to STOP on a highway when other cars are behind them traveling at high speed".

I have thoughts like this too.

And yes, I used to have this faith, until I hit a guy who was parked in the middle of a freeway. The cop asked why I wasn't dead.

VB

Black Prince

Familiar Face
Vintage Betty said:
And yes, I used to have this faith, until I hit a guy who was parked in the middle of a freeway. The cop asked why I wasn't dead.

I think I know what you mean. I was never one of life's natural drivers but, after I hit a patch of black ice one winter, skidded off the road, through some trees and wrote the car off (it was a Volkswagen - great in a crash), I was never again able to rid myself of the awareness that death is just a wheelspin away...

I did drive again, but never really enjoyed it. I eventually moved to London and haven't had to drive for seven, eight years. Which is nice.

Vintage Betty

Black Prince said:
I think I know what you mean. I was never one of life's natural drivers but, after I hit a patch of black ice one winter, skidded off the road, through some trees and wrote the car off (it was a Volkswagen - great in a crash), I was never again able to rid myself of the awareness that death is just a wheelspin away...

I did drive again, but never really enjoyed it. I eventually moved to London and haven't had to drive for seven, eight years. Which is nice.

I'm not scared of death. Just other drivers. lol

VB

Bebop

Practically Family
Feraud said:
Do you think reckless drivers bear any responsibility for their actions or is this a case of everyone needing to make way for the less responsible of us in society?

Reckless drivers should bear all responsibility for driving recklessly. That would not make you any safer as a motorcyclist. So the car driver is at fault. He gets a fine and maybe jail time. You are in the hospital or dead. What difference will the driver taking responsibility make to you then? We know drivers are not as responsible as they should be when it comes to dealing with motorcyclists. Ask yourself who is safer commuting? People in cars or people on motorcycles? I'm just saying that common sense would lead me to not use a motorcycle. The same common sense that would keep me from purposely putting myself in any dangerous situation.

My question is, if you have no faith in the drivers around you, why would you ride a vulnerable vehicle like a motorcycle? [huh]

Bebop

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
The same reason people smoke, drink, sky dive and just about everything else that doesn't involve holing yourself inside your house and hiding under a table.

The difference is that smoking, drinking and skydiving does not involve others on a daily basis making sure the participant is safe. I would rather get my death defying thrills in other ways. Everyone has their "it's worth it" passion. I just think motorcyclists should grin and bare it when it comes to stupid drivers. It's a risk they are willing to take.

Bebop said:
The difference is that smoking, drinking and skydiving does not involve others on a daily basis making sure the participant is safe. I would rather get my death defying thrills in other ways. Everyone has their "it's worth it" passion. I just think motorcyclists should grin and bare it when it comes to stupid drivers. It's a risk they are willing to take.

Gee thanks. I don't think I want to ride my motorcycle bare.
All those activities you mentioned actually do involve other if you listen to some sources. Smoking---obvious, drinking---driving and drinking etc, skydiving---the chute doesn't work and you fall on someone. [huh]

Bebop

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
Gee thanks. I don't think I want to ride my motorcycle bare.
All those activities you mentioned actually do involve other if you listen to some sources. Smoking---obvious, drinking---driving and drinking etc, skydiving---the chute doesn't work and you fall on someone. [huh]

I don't like thinking of you riding bare while grining. :eek:

I didn't say they don't involve others.
Those things do not involve others making sure you are safe. If you smoke after knowing it will kill you, you should not blame the tobacco co., if you drink and drive and have an accident after knowing it's not safe, you should not blame Bacardi or Seagrams, if your chute does not open, it's because you did not pack it properly but if you ride your bike and have an accident because of an idiotic driver, it's all the drivers fault? Even though you knew there were idiots driving? Seems like all you can do is keep the faith and enjoy the bike.

I

Ian Dundrillon

I'm with RondoHatton, I don't think it is a matter of faith or trust, except perhaps in a negative way. It's more a matter of luck and odds. I buried both a wife and a Harley. Being right made no difference. Dead is dead.

Ian

"Faith may be defined briefly as an illogical belief in the occurrence of the improbable."

H.L. Mencken

deanglen

I walk to my job and home again 2.4 miles either way almost everyday. Drivers hate pedestrians. I make sure I don't present the slightest impediment to a car waiting to enter or exit a drive way or sidestreet. Defer and live. Some are patient. Not many.

dean

Bebop

Practically Family
deanglen said:
I make sure I don't present the slightest impediment to a car waiting to enter or exit a drive way or sidestreet. Defer and live. Some are patient. Not many.

dean

A fine example of what I was rambling about and failed to express. :eusa_clap

I try to work with drivers, as a pedestrian, on getting our objectives met, even though I live in a state where the law clearly says that if I'm in a marked crosswalk and I have a "walk" signal, I have right of way.

In spite of this, some joker tries to run me over at least twice a week... GRRRR!

The "it's okay to turn right on red" rule makes it very dangerous for pedestrians. Most of the youthful american drivers I know don't even stop. If it's red and they want to go right, they just keep on going.

I can understand why the rule is in place (and to some extent i agree with it); it just doesn't work very well with impatient/badly trained drivers.

bk

Disagree Vehemently

Miss Neecerie said:
heheh true...granted...I will categorically state that the california law...allows cycles to 'lane split'....which is a freaking dangerous thing...period...and probably causes the vast majority of cycle accidents....
Feraud said:
Agreed that lane splitting is dangerous.

Glued in traffic 30 years ago and seeing motorcyclists maintain progress was The Reason I went to MSF and learned to ride. There I was taught that coffin drivers hold their little cars so precious (no matter how ratty) they instinctively keep a cushion on each side. Instructor Steve Bransky, R.I.P., passed away in an easy chair at home.

You may categorically state the earth is flat and that would not be true either - was you there, Charlie? How many hundred thousand miles experience have you? Please go to the research: http://www.soundrider.com/archive/safety-skills/harry_hurt_interview.htm
Lane Splitting

We’ve had some very interesting feedback from our Proficient Motorcycling article on lane splitting. And some readers had suggested that the “Hurt Report” proved that lane splitting was “safe”. Hurt pointed out that the research from the late 1970s only hinted that lane splitting didn’t show up as a significant factor in accidents. Hurt adds that there has been no research and therefore no factual data on lane splitting.

“Everybody has their own ideas and opinions about this issue, but there are no recent factual data of any kind. No benefactor has supported any further research to investigate this issue. Hopefully, the future will bring help and financial support for these and other questions.”

Allow me to categorically state that California law which allows "drivers" to operate cellphones, text devices, elaborate stereos (and now I've even seen knuckleheads watching the "game" on a video monitor hacked into the rear view mirror) genuinely, not probably, cause the vast majority of "accidents", properly perhaps called "incidents" due to distraction. Rondo eschewed automobiles 23 years ago and has only looked back from the rear view of a motorcycle rain or shine since. As much as I might like a Ford Business Coupe or something with fat fenders, I'd still be stuck in traffic. Let's do lunch, but you drive, OK?

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Frankly, I think people as a whole are idiots. Every time I see that "people are smart" commercial on TV I cringe.

I don't trust anyone when I drive. I'm sure we've all seen (or done) enough bad driving to make us be careful of other drives.

For me the rule is "don't trust others to fulfill your responsibilities, don't place your life in other people's hands". This way you only have yourself to blame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany