Keeping your collar up?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Samcurr, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Samcurr

Samcurr New in Town

Anyone know of a good way to keep a leather jackets collar up?
    I have a horsehide biker jacket and every-time I put up the collar it just falls back down. Leather is too soft I guess.
    Attached some pics that best describes what I'm looking to achieve.

Attached Files:

2. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Get the collar wet (soaked) with HOT water. Then set it in the shape you want. Leave it that way to dry. Presto.
    Or if you want it done quickly, use a steamer on the underside of the collar until the leather gets “floppy.” While the collar is still hot, shape it. Hold it until it cools- done.
    Depending on the HH it might be stiffer afterwards, but it should do the trick. You can always condition it later.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    Samcurr, Jin431 and navetsea like this.
  3. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

isnt it usually your own head that pushes it down usually when you look up, or when you sit and lean forward like on a desk or bar ? I'm in the middle of tweaking collar shape to make enough clearance that my own head won't push it down. basically making a human lamp-shade collar.

but in your case if your jacket has collar snap like Johnny depp's just snapping the collar tip down while the back is propped up probably helps to keep it propped up longer since they are stuck in that position

4. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

If you look at the photos, the collar is only 1/2 up. Before the “flip” it is folded down.
    0321EEBB-C459-4A54-9473-3831F6B7D657.jpeg

navetsea and HoosierDaddy like this.
  5. Samcurr

Samcurr New in Town

Pretty much what I was thinking. Thanks.

6. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

isn't that the result of the popped collar naturally fall on itself. I popped my denim jacket collar and looked like that when I take off the jacket, so I keep it that way on the hanger since it looked nice.

7. Superfluous

Superfluous My Mail is Forwarded Here

8. Yep..you gotta be snap your fingers COOL to tame that collar and make it stand at attention out of respect !!

Samcurr, nickv and El Marro like this.