Khakis - which ones?

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Matt Deckard, Feb 5, 2005.

1. bburtner@moran

bburtner@moran Banned

Khakis

That`s alot of money for khaki`s,are they made is the US?Probably not.I buy my plain front khakis at Target(don`t laugh)they are 24.00,they are heavy weight 100% cotton.I have had 3pr that have lasted for 2yrs NO BS.They have flaps on rear pockets and watch pocket.Brian.

2. Burnsie

Burnsie Registered User

Bills are made in Reading PA - not to agree with everyone but I have Khaki's from Bills, Buzz Ricksons and Target. Target I wear to work day to day and they start fraying and falling apart within 6 months, but they're cheap. Bills take longer to wear out, but they DO fall apart after about 2 years of wear. The Buzz's seem just about indestructible bordering on bullet proof after many wears and washes. They too run about $135 and are superior to Bills (but not made in the USA, Buzz is a Japanese military repro brand).
    Last but not least as previously discussed in the WWII section of the FL, "Original Khaki's are better"! Vintage original military khaki's are top quality and almost always cheaper than repro's when you can find them.

3. Mr_Misanthropy

Mr_Misanthropy Practically Family

I went ahead and ordered two pairs of the poplin M1s on sale from Sierra Trading Post. They were 53something a pair I think. I got them in British Khaki. I've got pretty high hopes for these pants judging from what I've read on Fedora Lounge. if they pass they test I want a pair in the heavier cotton.

4. Levallois

Levallois Practically Family

Ordered a pair of the Orvis ultimate khakis - I'll report back once they arrive.

John

5. Kostya

Kostya Familiar Face

Bill's Khakis - Original vs. Vintage Twills

OK, so I got the Vintage twill pants in the mail the other day. I noticed that the fabric is a bit lighter than the Original Twills. I now realize that the "Vintage" twill is 7.8 oz instead of the 8.5 in the original. Which is more period correct? The vintage twill feels a little thin--not so good for a pant that costs $40 more ($135 vs. $97.50). What do ya'll think? The downside is that the original khakis don't come in the "bark" (brown) color which I like.

By the way, the vintage twills are not really washed that much. My 5-year-old original Bill's khakis look a bit more washed.

6. mike

mike Call Me a Cab

I have a pair of these in tobacco herringbone and love them! Although they definitely came oversized AND shrunk slightly after a few washings.

7. John K Stetson

John K Stetson One of the Regulars

Bill's - A Real Factory Store

Not sure if all of Bill's are made in Reading, PA - I think they also have a factory in nearby Boyertown. However, there is a real factory store in
    Reading, co-located with the HQ office. This is not in the same "outlet" center you'll see in other parts of Reading, but on Canal Street. By quite happy coincidence, there's a very good micro-brew pub in the same building...

I was there a couple years ago. It's rather small, everything is stacked on shelves marked by size, and most of the goods are IRRegular. They were also all one price - $20 IIRC. The reason for the IRR is well marked, there's a closet with a curtain that serves as a changing room. I think it was also open only
    10-3 on weekdays? I'd say it's about 15 mins from the Reading Airport, where many FL'ers gather in June.

Certainly not worth a special trip but if you're in the area, it might be worth trying. I'd also suggest calling to double check the above info - 1 800 43 khaki.

8. Mr_Misanthropy

Mr_Misanthropy Practically Family

I got two pairs of the vintage twill as well. I think they are light, yes, but still seem durable and quality items. I may just have to put them away until Spring. They will work great in warmer weather.

9. Egerland

Egerland New in Town

I picked up some "Selvage Khakis" by Lincs at a local Marshalls earlier this month. Well made, nice color, and not too wrinkly out of the wash. About $20.

No info on the net about the company, alas...

10. Guttersnipe

Guttersnipe One Too Many

Instead of starting a new thread I'll post this herr...

Of all these companies, whos khakis have the highest rise?

11. kschurch

kschurch Vendor

Mike,

Thanks for the nice post. I'm glad that you're happy with your trousers!

Best Regards,

Kevin

12. H.Johnson

H.Johnson One Too Many

I have some trousers by a US company called WWII Khakis. I recommend them. In terms of fabric and cut they are very similar to original M1942 chinos (except that they have a zip fly) at a fraction of the cost of Buzz Rickson's equivalent. The colour is a but darker, but not objectionably so. I bought them in a charity shop in the UK so I don't know if they are still made.

13. Creeping Past

Creeping Past One Too Many

14. kschurch

kschurch Vendor

PIR Rise

Hey Loungers!

FYI...our front rise from the top of the waist is 12.25 inches on a size 34 and the back rise from the top of the waist is 18.5 inches on a size 34. Our trousers are modeled after the M1943 uniform trousers and I think you'll find the rise is higher than many of the contemporary brands you've all listed in this thread.

Keep in mind that our trousers are graded throughout the size run. That means a size 30 will have different dimensions than a size 34 or 36 so they will fit correctly on the wearer.

The sizes in the photos are a 34 and a 32.

Hope you guys will give us a look! www.pircargos.com

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. mike

mike Call Me a Cab

You bet! I wear them all the time, can you tell me though, I ordered a 34" and they were quite oversized so I had them taken in, should I have ordered a 32"? What sort of responses have you gotten from your customers about this? Regardless, I love 'em!

16. kschurch

kschurch Vendor

Hey Mike,

We produced our first trial run with dead-on waist measurements. We seemed to have a solid number of returns from that. Like most trousers and pants produced these days we decided to add an extra inch to the waist. (many producers add two or more!) This takes into effect any shrinkage from washing and drying (hot) and the fact that many men are larger than they think. They put on our trousers and they feel more comfortable becuase of that little extra. Consequently our returns and exhanges have dropped significantly.

If you are a loose 34, then you may want to go with a 32 in the future. Keep in mind that we are happy to exchange any sizes promptly so you may get the size that is right for you. As you know, all our styles feature "full trouser construction" so they may be tailored in the waist and seat...just like suit trousers.

We are a very small company and any "buzz" generated by our customers is greatly appreciated. Thanks again for your business!

Kevin

17. rumblefish

rumblefish One Too Many

^Hey Kevin, nice website. Gives a good look at your trousers. Checking now to see if everyone asking me what I want for Christmas has been answered yet. :D

18. kschurch

kschurch Vendor

Thanks Rumble!

Tell them to enter code: PIRFL for a 15% "Fedora Lounge member" discount.

Cheers,

Kevin

19. Ryan

Ryan Familiar Face

Eddie Bauer can be ordered with a long rise. I got mine on sale and really happy with them.

20. Guttersnipe

Guttersnipe One Too Many

Thanks for the tip

how does the long rise on Eddie Bauers compare to that on originals WW2 M1 khakis? I like a REALLY long rise - like past the navel - but also like pleated pants, which M1's don't have.