Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Khaki's with a vintage motorcycle jacket?

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date

too much coffee

Practically Family
uh as long as you are riding who the Hell cares. I road my Harley to work today and went back and forth to the different plants and dug every minute of it. Yeah I was in Khakis and if anybody doesn't like it well they can "Bite Me". Ultras Rule especially when you are riding down the road blasting Grateful Dead and Humble Pie next to the "Beemers"; you can wear any damn thing you want.

Right on Wilbur...........I hereby sentence you to "Thirty Days in the Hole."

Prof. Steampunk

New in Town
Khakis and double-breasted leather coat with sidecar

uh as long as you are riding who the Hell cares. I road my Harley to work today and went back and forth to the different plants and dug every minute of it. Yeah I was in Khakis and if anybody doesn't like it well they can "Bite Me". Ultras Rule especially when you are riding down the road blasting Grateful Dead and Humble Pie next to the "Beemers"; you can wear any damn thing you want.

:eusa_clap For the past 5 years, I've ridden my motorcycle and sidecar to work every day except for probably a couple weeks in middle of winter (Central Texas where we freeze for a few days in January). I usually wear khakis and a double-breasted "German submarine captain's coat". Don't have GD blasting (no magic music box on bike), but do get a few looks. Lots of thumbs up and smiles from other bikes on the road, too.

Prof. Steampunk

New in Town
BTW, I did just buy a pair of gold-colored khaki jodphurs from What Price Glory and wore them to a steampunk event in San Antonio with a pair of lace-up cavalry boots from WPG I'd bought a couple of years ago. Thought I'd hate 'em although they WERE what I'd wanted for a while to go with the boots. BUT I was the most comfortable I've been at an event in years! My understanding is that a bunch of motorcycle clubs in the late 40s/50s wore them, much like the motorcycle cops from then and before, which I think is where the "chauffeur" type cap became popular, too. Or am I just imagining I remember this stuff?

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wear my khakis with both my black and brown leather jackets; they're real khakis, which is to say I wear 'em for working in so they're always beaten about and dirty. When they get too dirty I throw 'em in the wash and wear my jeans until they get filthy and swap 'em over again. I think the khaki-black leather look is very period correct for a 40s-50s look, as per a Rin Tinaka book on Harley Fashions from 1900-1960s a buddy of mine has got.

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
Found this the other day in my Photo Bucket...Khakis and Leather on an earlier bike I owned....
ph2480955100099195045.jpg

John Lever

One Too Many
Here is a photo of Khakis with a vintage M/C my granddad 1916 The Somme
It's also on my phone and goes everywhere with me.
scan0031-2.jpg

We still had his gauntlets until the 1970's until my brother left then on the tube !

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
Here is a photo of Khakis with a vintage M/C my granddad 1916 The Somme
It's also on my phone and goes everywhere with me.
scan0031-2.jpg

We still had his gauntlets until the 1970's until my brother left then on the tube !

Great Photo! I am sure your family is very proud of your Grandfather and his bravery during WWI. I can only imagine trying to ride that Norton during the heat of battle. The loss of 58,000 British troops on the first day of the Battle of Somme is mind boggling.

Here's a photo of a 1916 Norton by the way. I thought everyone may like to see one in color.

Norton_16_H_490_cc_1921.jpg

D

Deleted member 16736

It's amazing how much it's basically a motorized bicycle.

John Lever

One Too Many
Hi John:

I found this on You Tube and let you decide..... These are all 1916 motorcycles. Good info on what your Grandfather endured just riding not to mention roads and the War!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07tduDhJhgg
Thanks for the link. The sound is more friendly than modern bikes with a hint of flatulence.
Grand dad delivered dispatches but also drove trucks as he was listed as 'Motor Pool '. He survived the war and returned to his business as a horse-drawn cab driver.

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
Hey Wilbur - that yours?@ John - great pic of your Grandfather! (and bike...)

Not that old Norton. I was curious about the bike in John's photo and remembered that Norton's were used in WWII so I thought that may have been true during WWI as well. So did some digging on the net for early Norton's and almost immediately the photo pop up of this 1916 Norton which was a "dead ringer" for the bike John's Grandfather rode during the "Battle of Somme". I thought everyone may like to see the bike in color.

The Harley Classic Springer was a bike I owned a few years ago but made a move up for the Ultra Classic I have now so my wife can ride comfortably.

150.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot