Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kinda Free Natural Chromexcel Belt

Maxwell Von Chesapeake

A-List Customer
Hello Everyone,

I'll start off by saying that I think the current price of belts is absolutely absurd. I watched a video on YouTube during the pandemic by a popular guy/channel whose name I shall not mention, where he went through what he considered to be some of the best belts to come out that year. It was one of those cringe-inducing AH HAH! moments for me that you sometimes have in life, where I thought to myself, "Well shit, I can make one of those for a fraction of the cost." Long story short, I bought a bunch of belt blanks in varying leathers from BuckleGuy.com, and proceeded to make pretty much everyone in my life belts. I have one blank left, though, and it's 1.5 inch-wide, 9oz-thick natural Chromexcel (see pics). Whoever messages me first saying that they want a belt made out of it will get it (as long as you live in the Continental United States, that is). I have a solid brass center-bar buckle that is slightly larger than 1.5 inches even though that's what it's supposed to be (I'm guessing it's 1.6 or so) that I had originally planned on using for it (also in the pictures).

All I ask is that whoever wants me to make them a belt out of it pays for the cost of materials + shipping (I keep terrible records, but let's just say $35). If you want rivets, Chicago screws, stitching, your name or something stamped into it, whatever...just let me know. I have a small apartment and will just be happy to clear up some space on my shelf.

All the best,

Max

PS - the darker leather in the middle pic is from the same hide, just left in my window for a week to see how the color would change when exposed to sunlight.

IMG_0555.jpg
IMG_0556.jpg
IMG_0557.jpg

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Very cool! I also make my own belts and I’m constantly amazed that people would spend more than 40-50 dollars on a belt when they don’t take more than 20 minutes to make.
Of course there are exceptions like hand tooled belts, I’m talking about the standard stuff.

Leather_nube

New in Town
Hi Max,

looks like I missed the boat. Have you perhaps made a thread on tools required and process? Do you have any video/tutorial recommendations? Where does one find nice buckles (I've a couple of belts I'd like to repair but can't find nice buckles)?

The price of a nice belt is ridiculous, I'll be ducked before I pay that kinda cash for a straight piece of leather with a piece of metal on the end. I intend doing the same as you. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Liam

Maxwell Von Chesapeake

A-List Customer
Hi Max,

looks like I missed the boat. Have you perhaps made a thread on tools required and process? Do you have any video/tutorial recommendations? Where does one find nice buckles (I've a couple of belts I'd like to repair but can't find nice buckles)?

The price of a nice belt is ridiculous, I'll be ducked before I pay that kinda cash for a straight piece of leather with a piece of metal on the end. I intend doing the same as you. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Liam
Hello Liam,

I haven't made a thread on that, but it really isn't more difficult than looking at a picture of a belt you like and then trying to duplicate it. In fact, if anyone wanted to get into making stuff out of leather, the first thing I would recommend making is a belt. I'm starting to sound like a commercial for BuckleGuy.com lately, but it really is the only site I use to buy leather stuff (beyond Amazon). They have belt blanks in a ton of a different leathers and thicknesses, plus buckles galore. I personally prefer to wear an old-fashioned belt buckle with a quirky design on it, and eBay is an amazing place to find these for super cheap. Just type in "vintage brass belt buckles" (or something like that) and you'll be amazed at the treasures you'll find. Beyond that, you'll just need some Chicago screws and/or rivets (I prefer Chicago screws because it allows me to change out buckles depending on my mood), plus something to punch the belt holes with. I'm sure there are video tuturials on YouTube if you get stuck, but I really think the hardest part is just knowing what kind of belt you want to make. After that, it's pretty easy to look at it and figure out how the thing was constructed.

Anyway, I wrote this super fast, but I hope it helps. If you have any other questions, just let me know.

All the best,

Max

Big Steve

A-List Customer
You also need to take into consideration how you treat the edges....leave raw, burnish, edge kote etc. What if its a non center bar style buckle, than you've got to make a keeper.
Not sure what prices the talking head on youtube was saying but if you get into a belt with copious amounts of design stitching, or utilzing top grade hardware it can and does add up.
Making a belt in itself is not hard - making a really nice one does take resources and the skill of the craftsperson.

Maxwell Von Chesapeake

A-List Customer
You also need to take into consideration how you treat the edges....leave raw, burnish, edge kote etc. What if its a non center bar style buckle, than you've got to make a keeper.
Not sure what prices the talking head on youtube was saying but if you get into a belt with copious amounts of design stitching, or utilzing top grade hardware it can and does add up.
The talking head on YouTube was in the $150 to $200 range back in 2021. I've made roughly ten belts in that time, and in my limited experience, burnishing and adding a keeper doesn't tack on too much time. If there was a ton of decorative hand stitching, then that would be a different story.

Big Steve

A-List Customer
That's certainly a premium price point for a belt, however dependent on the type of leather used, the buckle utilized and overall fit/finish I could certainly see it. There's a smith shop up in Detroit that hand-makes buckles - they're pricey, but locating US handmade things are A. limited and B. expensive. I own/operate a Leather business so I deal with this rather regularly.
And burnishing/making a keeper does add production steps and labor in the process, which is why center bar buckles are kind of nice :)
Factor in too that good Leather isn't an inexpensive commodity either - hyde of Herman Oak skirting costs you over 300 a roll.
So if a company can market/brand and get 150-200 a belt I'd say bravo on their marketing team....now whether the product utilizes the best of materials - would have to know more. Been a fun topic this Friday evening.

Maxwell Von Chesapeake

A-List Customer
That's certainly a premium price point for a belt, however dependent on the type of leather used, the buckle utilized and overall fit/finish I could certainly see it. There's a smith shop up in Detroit that hand-makes buckles - they're pricey, but locating US handmade things are A. limited and B. expensive. I own/operate a Leather business so I deal with this rather regularly.
And burnishing/making a keeper does add production steps and labor in the process, which is why center bar buckles are kind of nice :)
Factor in too that good Leather isn't an inexpensive commodity either - hyde of Herman Oak skirting costs you over 300 a roll.
So if a company can market/brand and get 150-200 a belt I'd say bravo on their marketing team....now whether the product utilizes the best of materials - would have to know more. Been a fun topic this Friday evening.
Handmaking a buckle is territory that I know nothing about, but speciality metalworking definitely seems like a labor-intensive process that would be worth charging for. Not to say that I think a belt should be dirt cheap, because obviously skilled makers like yourself need to earn a living...but like you said, I have to give massive amounts of respect to anyone who can convince another person to spend $200 on a heritage-style belt.

Do you have a link to the Detroit smith shop? I'm curious to see what something like that looks like and goes for.

Thanks for your input. It's started a pretty interesting discussion.

Big Steve

A-List Customer
Ohh I agree with you 100% there - it does take a whole other skill to convince a consumer they need a 200 belt (one with no carving, excessive design, features etc.). Who knew....master manipulators turning a belt into a Veblen good, still working on mastering that one lol.
And as to your question regarding the Blacksmith shop in Detroit - here's a link to the buckle.
Its not fancy or overly flashy - and by all accounts looks like a buckle you'd pay considerably less for. But its one of those 'not for everybody' but those that know, know sort of thing.

Maxwell Von Chesapeake

A-List Customer
Ohh I agree with you 100% there - it does take a whole other skill to convince a consumer they need a 200 belt (one with no carving, excessive design, features etc.). Who knew....master manipulators turning a belt into a Veblen good, still working on mastering that one lol.
And as to your question regarding the Blacksmith shop in Detroit - here's a link to the buckle.
Its not fancy or overly flashy - and by all accounts looks like a buckle you'd pay considerably less for. But its one of those 'not for everybody' but those that know, know sort of thing.

[/URL]
Wow...I was expecting them to look like they'd be hammered into shape by hand or something, with all of the slight imperfections and uniqueness that comes along with that, but yeah...that looks like a buckle from a mall belt. No offense, of course, but jeez. My girlfriend actually does metal casting as a hobby, but it's never occurred to either of us to have her try buckles. That's all going to change this weekend, lol.

Leather_nube

New in Town
Wow...I was expecting them to look like they'd be hammered into shape by hand or something, with all of the slight imperfections and uniqueness that comes along with that, but yeah...that looks like a buckle from a mall belt. No offense, of course, but jeez. My girlfriend actually does metal casting as a hobby, but it's never occurred to either of us to have her try buckles. That's all going to change this weekend, lol.
Pictures or it didn’t happen . Interesting info and discussion gents. I’m going to have to have a go myself.

Big Steve

A-List Customer
What's interesting is that they're not actually casted or stamped - so the labor going into them is more. Different approach to things I suppose.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Hello Liam,

I haven't made a thread on that, but it really isn't more difficult than looking at a picture of a belt you like and then trying to duplicate it. In fact, if anyone wanted to get into making stuff out of leather, the first thing I would recommend making is a belt. I'm starting to sound like a commercial for BuckleGuy.com lately, but it really is the only site I use to buy leather stuff (beyond Amazon). They have belt blanks in a ton of a different leathers and thicknesses, plus buckles galore. I personally prefer to wear an old-fashioned belt buckle with a quirky design on it, and eBay is an amazing place to find these for super cheap. Just type in "vintage brass belt buckles" (or something like that) and you'll be amazed at the treasures you'll find. Beyond that, you'll just need some Chicago screws and/or rivets (I prefer Chicago screws because it allows me to change out buckles depending on my mood), plus something to punch the belt holes with. I'm sure there are video tuturials on YouTube if you get stuck, but I really think the hardest part is just knowing what kind of belt you want to make. After that, it's pretty easy to look at it and figure out how the thing was constructed.

Anyway, I wrote this super fast, but I hope it helps. If you have any other questions, just let me know.

All the best,

Max

You should give saddle stitching a go, it's really satisfying...

I used this video to learn the technique a few years ago and have been wearing home made belt since.

KfMpZvi.jpg

gcKW973.jpg

YbOnpBm.jpg

These guys make some great buckles:

https://www.rainbowmetals.com/

Also, try googling "tech either guild buckles", they are from the 70s and have a few really cool designs.

Big Steve

A-List Customer
I did some hand stitching a while back - but the time isn't feasible for me. On my current production belts, I need expediency, consistency and a uniform look. Not that you can't get that hand stitched but the time to get there and what you'd have to charge doesn't make it an avenue I'd extensively traverse. I wouldn't even attempt to hand stitch one my latest belts(see pics).

Attachments

• 20230405_212157_resized_1.jpg
    20230405_212157_resized_1.jpg
    835.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 20230405_212227_resized_1.jpg
    20230405_212227_resized_1.jpg
    739 KB · Views: 43
  • 20230405_212253_resized_1.jpg
    20230405_212253_resized_1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 46

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I did some hand stitching a while back - but the time isn't feasible for me. On my current production belts, I need expediency, consistency and a uniform look. Not that you can't get that hand stitched but the time to get there and what you'd have to charge doesn't make it an avenue I'd extensively traverse. I wouldn't even attempt to hand stitch one my latest belts(see pics).

Agreed, i would not want to try to make money selling hand stitched belts, but for personal items it's fun.

Maxwell Von Chesapeake

A-List Customer
You should give saddle stitching a go, it's really satisfying...

I used this video to learn the technique a few years ago and have been wearing home made belt since.

KfMpZvi.jpg

gcKW973.jpg

YbOnpBm.jpg

These guys make some great buckles:

https://www.rainbowmetals.com/

Also, try googling "tech either guild buckles", they are from the 70s and have a few really cool designs.
Yes, everything I do stitching-wise is with this method. It's honestly the only proper stitch that I know. That said, it's super strong and looks great when things line up correctly, so I think it works for pretty much any kind of man gear beyond maybe shoes and jackets.

Maxwell Von Chesapeake

A-List Customer
Hey guys, here's the belt I made for @Guppy (pic below text). In regards to the cost breakdown, it is as follows:

1) 9oz "natural" Chromexcel strap - $17.24 + tax and shipping

2) Solid brass Japanese square belt buckle - $14.99 + tax and shipping

3) Two brass Chicago screws - Maybe a dollar, but probably less

4) Cosmetic grade beeswax for burnishing - maybe a dime's worth

So let's just say $40. All told, from start to finish the belt took me a little less than one hour to make. Considering that the average online price for an incredibly basic 9oz Chromexcel belt is $115 or so (I did a quick search to determine that number, but in that quick search I found an extremely basic "natural" Chromexcel belt going for $190 + $6.78 shipping that I didn't include in my average). Long story short, I didn't do $75 worth of labor to make @Guppy his belt, so I guess my point is that the market for heritage leather products is very similar to that of wrist watches or vintage cars, which is to say absolutely batshit insane. To say the least, money is time-consuming to earn (unless you sell belts), so hopefully this gives us all pause before we pay someone lawyer-level fees to punch several holes in a strip of leather.

IMG_2251.jpg

Anyway, enjoy the rest of your weekend and have a great Easter!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana