Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(KNIVES) Let's see some sharp pointy objects

Silver-Wolf

One of the Regulars
One of my favorite EDC's, a custom Kershaw folder with KAI blade that I made eucalyptus burl scales for.

ZVBQeKQ.jpg

Last edited:

Silver-Wolf

One of the Regulars
Couple more of my everyday knives, first the custom knife is my everyday knife for most everything. I use it for eating dinner with most days even. The 2nd is my fav flipper, a Kizer Velox2 ceramic BB.

YsLIg5m.jpg

How many knives does a stockman (cowboy) carry I think it goes lol...

Everday set....

SFslaik.jpg

Feeling fancy set for special occasions, rosewood handles with rose nickel etching....

2zHoY5J.jpg

Silver-Wolf

One of the Regulars
Well here's a different kinda handy knife / gadget and it's USB rechargeable. I hate it when my knives run out of Power o_O

KcvhlGM.jpg

tNpIIBN.jpg

Well least when it's dark you can see what your cutting one handed...Oh it also doubles as a powerbank so you can charge your cell phone.

FrNEOVP.jpg

2Eud3oD.jpg

Silver-Wolf

One of the Regulars
Ok then here's something interesting for you folks that like vintage gear maybe. A old Australian knife, back from when swagmen went around the country looking for work shearing sheep or odd jobs and wharf work so they could send money back home.
Here's a old swaggie's knife, they made them with an old broken sheep shear's blade. They hold an edge quite well, btw this is not a small knife.

Iw2lBy3.jpg

htnyIHy.jpg

Last edited:

mrgrumpy

New in Town
Here is my full set, all Zwilling J A Henckels with the exception of an inexpensive stamped Wenger for slicing.

MichaelRhB

One of the Regulars
Böker Turbine. The name comes from the type of steel that is used in the blade in that it is also the same type of steel that was used in the high pressure fuel boost pump impellers on the Aerojet Rocketdyne RS-25, better known as the space shuttle main engine.

Wood insert is by Nill Griffshaft maker of factory and aftermarket grips for Europe's finest handgun brands.

Made in Germany. Carried daily.

qODYjC2.jpg

jpoklEq.jpg

KFCYzTq.jpg

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars
Here are some of mine.
Darksword Armouries hand forged blade. A bit OOP, i know, but thought I’d put it in anyway.
upload_2021-1-7_18-52-35.jpeg

19th century Nepalese kukhri from the IMA cache. One of their Long-leaf models. It’s only been cleaned up a little bit. I need to put some more effort into this one of these days.
upload_2021-1-7_18-55-18.jpeg

Grohman DH Russell #3 boat knife in carbon steel. The stainless version of this is issued to Canadian Army airborne troops and field engineers. I dislike stainless steel knives so have the carbon version. This knife looks strange, and the handle is a weird shape, but it actually works really well, is very comfortable, and eminently practical. The leather thong is tied in a sailor’s knife lanyard knot.
upload_2021-1-7_19-2-47.jpeg

upload_2021-1-7_19-3-12.jpeg

upload_2021-1-7_19-5-4.jpeg

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars
Some of my kitchen knives next. The first is a repro of a 19th century longhunter’s knife, made in India in carbon steel. It took a bit of work to get it right, but it was cheap, easily sharpenable, and holds an edge for a long time. I have a sheath for it but it’s not in the kitchen where I usually use this knife.
upload_2021-1-7_19-11-2.jpeg

Next is my german hunting knife (carbon steel) that I bought to wear with my lederhosen (yes I do actually own and wear lederhosen because they help me drink more beer at Oktoberfest). When not wearing lederhosen, it functions nicely as a paring knife in the kitchen.

upload_2021-1-7_19-14-22.jpeg

Next is an antique meat axe. It could be as old as the late 19th century, but is probably early 20th. It was retained from my father in law’s grandfather’s butcher shop in Kerrobert, Saskatchewan when he went bankrupt and had to close in 1929 due to so many of his customers being unable to pay their accounts. It’s extremely heavy and is just the ticket for lopping the bottoms of stems off of a bouquet of flowers. . The match is for scale, and it’s about 3/8” thick.
upload_2021-1-7_19-23-49.jpeg

I got tired of taking individual pictures, so here are the rest. Most are carbon steel. So much easier to sharpen, and it gets much sharper than stainless. More interesting to look at once it gets stained, too.
upload_2021-1-7_19-29-36.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2021-1-7_19-10-30.jpeg
    upload_2021-1-7_19-10-30.jpeg
    923.5 KB · Views: 520

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars
Next we have my Laguiole pocket knife. I had it made in Laguiole, France in carbon steel and Briarwood burl. The handle is almost black due to 15 years of daily use, but it doesn’t matter at all to me as I love this knofe so much. I carry it all the time, every day. I call it my French army knife, as it’s been my experience that if you can’t fix it with a blade or a corkscrew, then the French are not interested! The blade is just a hair under 4” long so it’s legal to carry in a pocket in Canada (concealed), but big enough to be useful. One never knows when one will be accosted by a salami, a loaf of bread, and a bottle of wine!
upload_2021-1-7_19-37-23.jpeg

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars
Finally, something really “golden age”. My reproduction 1930s Shanghai Fighting Knife that I had made for me 10 years or so ago. These were the first predecessors of the famous Fairbairn-Sykes commando knives used in WWII and beyond. Only a few of them were made in the Shanghai Municipal Police armouries in the 1930s, all by hand, and all a little bit different from each other. Mine is hand forged carbon steel with an aluminum cross guard, just like the originals. The handle is black Gaboon Ebony and the pommel cap is solid brass. I made the shoulder sheath but never got around to punching the holes for the suspension rig, which I also never got around to making. I also made a small-of-the-back sheathe for it too, but have never actually carried it outside of the house. Carrying concealed blades over 4” in Canada is a criminal offence and I’ve never had a need for a concealed blade, so haven’t bothered. It lives under my pillow at night, and I sleep better for it.
upload_2021-1-7_19-49-15.jpeg

upload_2021-1-7_19-49-35.jpeg

upload_2021-1-7_19-50-0.jpeg

upload_2021-1-7_19-50-32.jpeg

upload_2021-1-7_19-50-54.jpeg

Next we have my Laguiole pocket knife. I had it made in Laguiole, France in carbon steel and Briarwood burl. The handle is almost black due to 15 years of daily use, but it doesn’t matter at all to me as I love this knofe so much. I carry it all the time, every day. I call it my French army knife, as it’s been my experience that if you can’t fix it with a blade or a corkscrew, then the French are not interested! The blade is just a hair under 4” long so it’s legal to carry in a pocket in Canada (concealed), but big enough to be useful. One never knows when one will be accosted by a salami, a loaf of bread, and a bottle of wine!
View attachment 298972
Yes, I love my Laguiole knives and I am never without one of them in my pocket.

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars
For such a long skinny handle that looks a bit clumsy, they fit the hand very well and are so comfortable to hold. It's nice they actually have a long enough blade to be useful too. Ever try to slice a loaf of bread with a Swiss Army knife?

For such a long skinny handle that looks a bit clumsy, they fit the hand very well and are so comfortable to hold. It's nice they actually have a long enough blade to be useful too. Ever try to slice a loaf of bread with a Swiss Army knife?
I do also like my Case Kickstarter spring assist. Not nearly as eye pleasing on the aesthetics but the one hand easy opening is a nice to have.

Kennyz

Familiar Face
This knife is massively cool, de Stokesay - it's a fine reproduction to the originals!

Ken

Finally, something really “golden age”. My reproduction 1930s Shanghai Fighting Knife that I had made for me 10 years or so ago. These were the first predecessors of the famous Fairbairn-Sykes commando knives used in WWII and beyond. Only a few of them were made in the Shanghai Municipal Police armouries in the 1930s, all by hand, and all a little bit different from each other. Mine is hand forged carbon steel with an aluminum cross guard, just like the originals. The handle is black Gaboon Ebony and the pommel cap is solid brass. I made the shoulder sheath but never got around to punching the holes for the suspension rig, which I also never got around to making. I also made a small-of-the-back sheathe for it too, but have never actually carried it outside of the house. Carrying concealed blades over 4” in Canada is a criminal offence and I’ve never had a need for a concealed blade, so haven’t bothered. It lives under my pillow at night, and I sleep better for it.
View attachment 298973

View attachment 298974

View attachment 298975

View attachment 298976

View attachment 298977

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars
I do also like my Case Kickstarter spring assist. Not nearly as eye pleasing on the aesthetics but the one hand easy opening is a nice to have.

I’ve never had a spring assist knife before, but I hear good things about them. Just because something has new technology is certainly no reason to reject it, but I have a very full house so I now tend to only buy things that I need, and that’s after very extensive research to determine just what is the best fit for my needs and wants. This way, I never have to buy another one! Sacrilege to many loungers, I know, but that’s the way I am. Same thing with leather jackets. I adore my custom Aero premium 1930’s half-belt, so I have no desire to have more.

On the other hand, motorcycles are a completely different story. You can never have enough bikes!

I’ve never had a spring assist knife before, but I hear good things about them. Just because something has new technology is certainly no reason to reject it, but I have a very full house so I now tend to only buy things that I need, and that’s after very extensive research to determine just what is the best fit for my needs and wants. This way, I never have to buy another one! Sacrilege to many loungers, I know, but that’s the way I am. Same thing with leather jackets. I adore my custom Aero premium 1930’s half-belt, so I have no desire to have more.

On the other hand, motorcycles are a completely different story. You can never have enough bikes!
I stick to mountain bikes as they can be hung on a wall and I can get a few dozen in my garage....plus they are quieter but can't go as fast.....which is probably a good thing for me. My Case Kickstarter is a great little knife for EDC. Has a pocket clip, doesn't take up much room, good quality, easy access and the one hand opening comes in very handy....all for under $100

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot