Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Know nothing Retailers!

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here

...so first I get the above Biltmore from "Peter-boy" and, as you can see it is said to have a dimensional brim, 2 3/4" front & back, 2 3/8" sides, That would be a hella swoop, eh?

When it comes -not even close, it's a Biltmore "Chicago"- w/a 2 1/8" brim all 'round! :mad: Why they cannot reveal this fact, I dunno. They also come numerically sized & yet Peterboy does not trust you to know scat from shinola & askes you to choose S,M,L,XL!

Today I see THIS:

FOUR HUNDRED FOR A WOOL HAT??? Thinks I... so I click on the item to be confronted with this piece of ridiculous idiocy-

:twitch:...Jesus wept & Moses crept! (...closest Aunt Flo would get to cursing)

They have an "ask a question" feature with customer queries with each item. I feel compelled to compose the following:

Is it possible that B.B. doesn't know the difference between wool & fur felt?
by
Mr. Blaine
Tennessee, USA
Because the quality difference (thus the price point) of a hat made from each respective material is vast.

The reason being the physical qualities, as seen here in the micro texture, of both wool (#1) and fur (#2). Under such magnification differences are quite notable. As the photos make abundantly clear, the fur has many more "barbs" on the shaft, thus will create felts that are tighter & finer, stronger & lighter & able to be more finely pounced (finished) than will wool. Apples & oranges.

You will be doing well to get someone to pay 400 clams for a nice (NICE) fur felt. If you tout it as being made of WOOL? ...people won't even look at the item. I can get bespoke for $250 & up, fer cryin' out loud!

You are a clothier just five years shy of your' two hundredth year in business. Tighten up. Such lack of very basic information might make one doubt the firm's competence in other areas as well. (i.e.- if you want to charge $400 for a $120-$150 hat, at the very least, get the basic facts straight, n'k?)

In gratitude for my attention in highlighting this egregiously ignorant, self-sabotaging item description, you may send me one, gratis, if you like.
I take a size 7 1/2

Yours truly,

Rick Blaine

P.S. That is a mighty warm gray (on my two apple monitors, anyway) it looks more like a light brown or tan...I think your' color balance needs tweaking.

Well, I hope I got my facts straight. It's a doggone nice looking Stetson. More of a Whippet than the recent effort w/ that name, IMO.

Jeepers Criminy, as Aunt Flo might've said.

But, at least they're selling hats. Not great hats, not reasonably priced hats, and certainly not accurately described hats, but they ARE hats. I suspect they sell enough of 'em to make it worth their while. And those hats, at those prices, make the rest of us look all the better in comparison.

Last edited:

Rick Blaine

Jeepers Criminy, as Aunt Flo might've said.

Everyone needs a hobby. I'm thinking "crank". :loco:

But, at least they're selling hats. Not great hats, not reasonably priced hats, and certainly not accurately described hats, but they ARE hats. I suspect they sell enough of 'em to make it worth their while. And those hats, at those prices, make the rest of us look all the better in comparison.

True enough.

Last edited:

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I think the hat shown is made from rabbit felt. You have to realize that the person describing the hat for the catalog has no idea what they are talking about. They are professional writers hired to make up a good story to sell the product. They will sell these hats to people who have no idea of the difference between a good hat and a piece of junk.

I think the hat shown is made from rabbit felt. You have to realize that the person describing the hat for the catalog has no idea what they are talking about. They are professional writers hired to make up a good story to sell the product. They will sell these hats to people who have no idea of the difference between a good hat and a piece of junk.

Yes, of course. Truer words were never spoken, et cetera.

And, in very few circles outside of this one here, will anyone give a rodent's patootie (as Aunt Flo might say) about it. And that's because, as you say, it's written by and for people who wouldn't know the difference between a good hat and a piece of junk.

Last edited:

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I was always keen on how Banana Republic portrayed their headwear.

BRFall1985022.jpg

tumblr_mtd2dnQ2qG1r91qw7o1_1280.jpg

Last edited:

Rick Blaine

I think the hat shown is made from rabbit felt...

Yeah, it says as much in the first line of the description's body copy.

You have to realize that the person describing the hat for the catalog has no idea what they are talking about.

Oh, I realized that in an instant!

That's why doing business with independent hat dealers just makes sense.
I mean that looks like a nice hat. Add an inch to the crown & give it to me in 100% beaver & $400 draws within sight of becoming 'reasonable' (tho' still high).
I wonder; does the outlet store have any yet?

And naturally, I trust it goes without saying, my intent was not to tar generous, knowledgeable & reasonable specialty retailers such as yourself with the same brush.

But is a crime that a two hundred year old firm, one that pretends to the status of a legendary purveyor of fine clothing to American men, needs to be corrected by the likes of me. :p

-30-

A-List Customer
"But is a crime that a two hundred year old firm, one that pretends to the status of a legendary purveyor of fine clothing to American men, needs to be corrected by the likes of me."
QUOTE: Rick Blaine.

Could/should/would it not be that we need more "the likes of" you in this world?

Regards,
J T

Rick Blaine

Could/should/would it not be that we need more "the likes of" you in this world?

Regards,
J T

I would not so presume, sir.
But if someone who lives in the greatest country :canada: on earth opines such, it's good enough for me, eh?

Unless it's more of that dry Canadian wit I often find myself victim of when we visit the wife's family.

(...but, for the record, my gut says "ohhellno!) :eusa_doh:

-30-

A-List Customer
"But if someone who lives in the greatest country on earth opines such, it's good enough for me, eh?"
QUOTE: Rick Blaine.

The United States of America is the Greatest Country on Earth, only when

The Constitution is followed, for if not, there is no where else to go.

I write this a Canadian and a neighbour.

............................................................................................................

Re The above "hat description problem", when you, I, and others, make no mention,

the written word is taken by many as the be-all, end-all, with "I saw it on the confuser, so it must be true!"

Kind regards,
J T

Rick Blaine

The United States of America is the Greatest Country on Earth, only when

The Constitution is followed, for if not, there is no where else to go.

I write this a Canadian and a neighbour.

Well hell, that ship has long since sailed.

Uh, say... :whistling

cm'ere ....... .................... .......................... ....................... .......................... ........we tread on verboten ground. No politix allowed. shhhhhhhh but just once I wanna vote NDP :flypig:

............................................................................................................
Re The above "hat description problem", when you, I, and others, make no mention,

the written word is taken by many as the be-all, end-all, with "I saw it on the confuser, so it must be true!"

Kind regards,
J T

Quite right.
Must've been a rude shock to any consumer paying attention.
I look very forward to monitoring BB to see if they will be stubborn & persist in their description of the "wool" Stetson.

They have, by the by, notified me that they DO regretfully decline posting &/or replying to my (admittedly provocative & condescending) question. HMmmmm.
I am g'wine have to call Garland to see if this is showing up in the outlet(s) now. Unless one of ya'll who live nearby wanna stop in...?
As I said, I do like the hat. But right now it's a $150 dollah' hat with a $250 picture of a sheep in a sling on the liner, IMO.
(yeah, I know, it's Jasons' [of Argonauts fame] Golden Fleece- not a lamb in a hammock).

Walt

One of the Regulars
Or in other words all these ads from the "high-end" retailers probably prove is that many (most?) consumers who can afford to pay these "high-end" prices are much more ignorant of what they are buying and how to judge quality than most of us here or for that matter their forefathers were.

As long as they move their merchandise why should they care...or certainly that is most likely their line of thinking!

As the quality of factory made hats continues to slide downward with fewer makers out there fewer will be the numbers of those who know what we are talking about.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy