Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lack of manners abound in our world

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
There have been numerous post on the lack of knowledge that some ebay sellers have about their items. While it may be annoying to some of us from time to time, civility MUST be maintained. While looking through the ebay auctions I came across this exchange from a would be bidder and seller. Granted the seller is not very well informed about the item they are selling. However the post made to them is atrocious.

" Q: Needs a little repair? Do you think you might mention what that repair would be? A size 8 1/4? There's no such size, moron...Way to do your homework before listing an item.
Feb-14-07
A: The inside of the hat only has 1/4 printed on a small piece of cardboard type paper shaped a bit like the head and shoulders of a baby. I'll put in a picture and perhaps you can tell me the size. Thank you for your wonderful comment. "

Sadly I think we all see much more of this type behavior every day. Freedom of speech is not freedom to do anything someone wants. Seems that most that enjoy retro/vintage items also appreciate the era in which the items are from. How nice it would be to live in a world where civility and manners were appreciated and not scoffed at. JMHO

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The feeling that you are anonymous and can say what you like freely without retribution brings out the worst in some people. That's a particularly nasty example!

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
I think the seller should post "it's" ebay handle for all to see. I do believe that you are correct Scott, anonymity does bring out the worst in some, there are far to many however that will show their shortcomings freely in the name of "it's their right".

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
But even if the poster's ebay handle, what good would it have done? A few users might go to the effort of sending the person messages saying he was out of line, but based on the post, it doesn't seem as if this is the type of person who cares what anyone thinks about, quite frankly, what a jerk he is. There's no way to block trolls of this sort from placing bids on auctions, and even being a jerk, if he's the high bidder and comes through with the cash, what difference does his personality, or lack thereof, matter?

J.S.Udontknowme

A-List Customer
Mike in Seattle said:
But even if the poster's ebay handle, what good would it have done? A few users might go to the effort of sending the person messages saying he was out of line, but based on the post, it doesn't seem as if this is the type of person who cares what anyone thinks about, quite frankly, what a jerk he is. There's no way to block trolls of this sort from placing bids on auctions, and even being a jerk, if he's the high bidder and comes through with the cash, what difference does his personality, or lack thereof, matter?
There is something you can do, put them on your blocked bidders list. I have 5 people on mine.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It is obvious the seller has manners...

At least the seller did not bow down to the rude customer's comment by answering in a civil manner: " A: The inside of the hat only has 1/4 printed on a small piece of cardboard type paper shaped a bit like the head and shoulders of a baby. I'll put in a picture and perhaps you can tell me the size. Thank you for your wonderful comment. "

Ya, thank you for your wonderful comment. I don't think it is just the "behind the computer screen" excuse, this happens in stores, restaurants, everywhere!

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Mike in Seattle said:

Mike, I hate to say it, but as long as we as a society tolerate and or allow such behavior, it will continue and it will get worse. Sometimes making a stand for what is right, while uncomfortable, is necessary. I submit to you, why not "out" this person? At least you and I would know who they are and could use our discretion about dealing with them. As it is, who knows who this person is, I do not and I dare say, nor do you. Shunning might be very good for someone who acts this way.

I kinda like Bud and Udontknowme's approach. The old mantra that "the customer is always right" sometimes fails us. Some customers are more trouble than they are worth. Perhaps if people refused to do business with them, they'd adopt a more civil manner.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Andykev said:
Ya, thank you for your wonderful comment. I don't think it is just the "behind the computer screen" excuse, this happens in stores, restaurants, everywhere!

You are correct Andy, our culture is suffering from dare I say, Moral Decay. There was a time, and I imagine most of us older than 30 can remember our parents teaching us, "If you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing at all". Obviously, this was supposed to be a guideline, not an absolute. Our society seems to not only allow, but to some extent condone or reward rude behavior. You do not have to look any further than the shock jocks that prevail on the airwaves daily.

rockyj

One of the Regulars
I think that it easier today to be rude over the internet because people do not interact face to face as much. your right about teaching the younger people how to talk well and show respect. There is always hope.:)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I guess I have always thought of this as a lead by example sort of thing.

'outing' someone for their bad manners......well...its bad manners...and just perpetuates the anger and other things.

People will not become more polite by having people behave in a rude manner, pointing out how unpolite they are. They will just assume that you too are another 'know it all' that wants to tell them how to act.

Whatever happened to 'not stooping to their level'.....

griffer

Practically Family
We really need our own internet phrase (meme?) that describes the "good ol' days" end game of so many of our posts.

Like Godwin's Law, "As a Fedora Lounge discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving the Good Old Days approaches one."

JDCrockett

New in Town
I saw the same listing and question and felt compelled to send the seller
a note of encouragement and recommend they block the questioner. I somehow was embarassed for all of us interested in hats by the rude question!:rage:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
That's appalling but unfortunately symptomatic of the age we live in.

The anonymity the internet gives means people think they can act as rudely as they wish.

The seller should list the questioner's ebay name and all those users who know about this should, if they choose to, block that person from their own auctions.

GoneSolo

One of the Regulars
I saw the listing also and I knew that the seller couldn't possibly be right, so I just asked them for more pictures so that I could figure the size out. That isn't too hard now is it?

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have seen this buyers questions before on other items. I think they just like hear themselves talk. There is no excuse for that behavior.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran