Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies tailored clothing

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I've seen them done for the movies and in old movies and read about the tailors that do them and been to the tailors that do them. Here is the question for you ladies... Have you ever had any clothes tailor made, and what was made?

Men get suits made to this day. It is much easier as men's clothing stays in fashion longer.

Suits, dresses... something wool, silk or cotton or other. Have you ever gone to a professional tailor to have clothing made? Tell us the story.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Interesting. I just bought some of Vogue's Vintage line of patterns for $2 each this last week and want to have some outfits made but am assuming it may be very expensive, but love the idea of it. Hmmmm, we shall see what the future holds after the first of the year.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Matt Deckard said:
Here is the question for you ladies... Have you ever had any clothes tailor made, and what was made?
Suits, dresses... something wool, silk or cotton or other. Have you ever gone to a professional tailor to have clothing made? Tell us the story.
Do you mean tailors as in craftsmen who normally make men's clothing? Or dressmakers?
I know some tailors will make clothes for women as well as men, I once had a couple of shirts made long ago, and I also have had a number of clothes...suits and dresses made by dressmakers. I have also made my own clothes as well.

Kimonos are made to order to this day. Most are sewn by hand, and I mean hand, not sewing machines. There are some merchants who have started to use what they call "high tech" sewing machines, but what that means, I have no idea. Personally, I prefer to have my kimonos sewn by a good seamstress, so I go to kimono stores that guarantee good handiwork.

Rosie

One Too Many
I had two dresses made by a dress maker, for my prom and for my cousin's wedding. I couldn't find what I wanted for my prom, and the dresses that I did find for fat girls were blah, I'm not blah so, I found a dress maker who made me a lovely dress. It was made of silk, was kind of off the shoulder, fitted through the waist and then flared out a bit. It fit well and was pretty.

For my cousin's wedding, I was allowed, as the maid of honor to choose the style of my dress as long as I had the same color and material as the other girls so, I did so. That dress was great I think it was made of a silk linen blend. I gave the prom dress away years ago, I more than likely would never wear it since my style has changed so much since high school. My maid of honor dress was retailored so that I could wear it for evening and then I gave it to a friend last year.

I also had a white pants suit made because I couldn't find one in the style that I wanted. I wanted high waisted sailor like pants and two jackets, one fitted in case of day time wear, one lower and cut more like a tuxedo jacket. I'm thinking of having a short vest made for the evening jacket. Though I have the evening jacket and the slacks, this is still a work in progress as my body and thyroid decide what size I'm actually going to be. :eek:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy