Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Langlitz Cascade

HighandDry

A-List Customer
Remember that the jacket was only a week old in the pics, so the leather was still pretty stiff. Also the sleeves are pretty form fitting (for riding), so that they hug the arms. If I pull the sleeves down, they come to my knuckles. I'll post some pics later.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
Here you can see the true sleeve length, which is to the knuckles.

sleeve1.jpg

When you order a zipless sleeve from Langlitz, they ask for your hand width, with and without the thumb. They make the jacket opening snug enough that when you slide your hand through the opening, the jacket sleeve will not protrude past the hand, but will remain at the wrist. However, the sleeve is long enough so that when you reach out it doesn't ride up, but remains at the wrist.

sleeve2.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
Now that is a clever way to build the sleeves. With long arms I have never found a jacket with the sleeves "too" long. I like the idea of having them to my knuckles when not riding.

Tony No-Toes

One of the Regulars
Nice score

High and Dry, looks like you got yourself another one... the last one was black if I recall and very similar. I also put down a deposit back in December also and have yet to pull the trigger. I like the brown for my order too. Probably about time to post some of the black one now that it's got some wear on it too? Langlitz knows their business and makes some class custom goods. Thanks for the post.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
Tony, you're killing me!

LOL, in order to justify my purchase, I had to point out the differences to my wife!

I really like the brown leather. With time, it seems to have gotten darker and really builds a lot of character. One thing to take into account, Langlitz's brown leather will lose the brown color at points of wear. The brown color kind of peels off in these areas and shows black underneath. Initially, it looks like spots and lines of black, but over time, the black blends in with the brown.

My other jacket was a heavier and stiffer leather (much harder to break in), but with time the leather has become buttery soft.

Tony No-Toes

One of the Regulars
Yeah, I'll eventually have to play the old different color card to convince my wife not to divorce me for buying multiple jackets that are by no means cheap.

Here's my plan for the first two jackets. I'll probably use the Langlitz/Aero combination to further remove the jackets from one another stylistically thus justifying the the purchases. For the third jacket acquisition, I'll use the argument I need a longer coat.

High and Dry, you have two similar jackets now so you can also use this last argument and get yourself a Stockman or something from Aero. She might go for it? Give it a try and let me know how it works...

BTW, I've got some brown samples from Langlitz and it is amazingly dark stuff, nearer to black than brown. Good stuff.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
Tony,

Great minds think alike! I have a Cheyenne on order, precisely (so I told my wife) because I need a longer coat!

You're right, the Langlitz brown is really dark and breaks in very nicely.

Tony No-Toes

One of the Regulars
Awesome! Glad to know someone's testing the waters out there. I'm going to start playing the ol' "everyone needs a good sturdy HH long coat from Europe" card and see what shakes loose.

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
Real nice Cascade HighandDry, I just received Langlitz's medium weight cowhide samples. What stands out for me is how extremely flat and smooth the leather is in terms of graining/follicles, seemingly very little of either, ..absolutely no raised texture. Did you find that to be the case too?
When you bend the leather though it leaves a kind of slightly grainy creasing behind. I suspect it will look really good once broken in.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
When you first get the jacket, it really is underwhelming. The leather,as you said, is quite flat without much graining. It looks really plastic like!

However with time, the leather graining really comes out and develops a lot of character. The leather really is first rate.

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
HighandDry said:
When you first get the jacket, it really is underwhelming. The leather,as you said, is quite flat without much graining. It looks really plastic like!

However with time, the leather graining really comes out and develops a lot of character. The leather really is first rate.

I have never seen or handled an Aero horsehide but from the pictures the leather also looks plastic like (am I mistaken?) in so far as it appears to have a very heavy top coat of something on it. I wonder why you never seem to see "naked" horse hide?
I also wonder what is the difference between an aniline dyed jacket and the typical Aero finish. Anyone know? (I find leather processes, terms and final product pretty confusing actually despite having boned up on it fromm multiple sources.)

Ted.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
It's a Lanlitz, not an aero and it's cowhide, not HH.

Your'e right, there does seem to be a heavy coating on it. These pictures are when the jacket is pretty new. As the jacket ages, the coating seems to wear off and the brown color seems to peel off showing black underneath. These areas then smooth out and blend in with the coat.

I have no idea about the different tanning methods or the advantages/disadvantages of the different methods.

mtds

New in Town
A similar Langlitz

This is a Langlitz Crescent made for me in the mid-80's. If I remember correctly, the only modifications from a standard Crescent were the dress collar (as opposed to Cossack collar), non-zip slash pockets, and an additional zippered pocket on the inside right.

Crefnrtunzip.jpg
Creback.jpg

Last edited:

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
HighandDry said:
It's a Lanlitz, not an aero and it's cowhide, not HH.

Your'e right, there does seem to be a heavy coating on it. These pictures are when the jacket is pretty new. As the jacket ages, the coating seems to wear off and the brown color seems to peel off showing black underneath. These areas then smooth out and blend in with the coat.

I have no idea about the different tanning methods or the advantages/disadvantages of the different methods.

Yes, I got that it was a cowhide Langlitz, I was just musing on leather finishes etc. :)

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
mtds said:
This is a Langlitz Crescent made for me in the mid-80's. If I remember correctly, the only modifications from a standard Crescent were the dress collar (as opposed to Cossack collar), non-zip slash pockets, and an additional zippered pocket on the inside right.

orig.jpg

Looks great. Nice to see how they look after an extended period.
Thanks.

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
Highanddry's Cascade kinda has a real flyer's jacket look to it (IMHO) with the American cuffs, collar and non-zip slash pockets. Nice take on the Cafe.

mattp

One of the Regulars
G'day HighandDry,
I know this is well and truly resurrecting a dead thread, but any chance of some photos of this jacket to see how the Langlitz dark brown cowhide has broken in? It would be much appreciated, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd be interested.
Thanks, Matt

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I really like the exposed zipper. I just had a Johnson Leather jacket made and it's great. The one minor problem is I tried to convey that I wanted a zipper exactly like that but it isn't as exposed as I wanted. It's not a major issue like too short sleeves, but I wish mine had come out just like that.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
The Langlitz never fully developed as I expected. It's funny, I really thought that the leather would continue developing character, but it kind of just stopped in terms of graining and loss of shine. I ended up selling it.

On the other hand my Goodwear A2 was a jacket that I never wore that much. The high armholes and the stiffness of the leather just made it uncomfortable. However, over time it kind of hit a sweet spot. The leather got much softer and the graining really started to develop. I wear it all the time now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy