Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Late 1940s Gillette Aristocrat Double Edge Safety Razor

mattface

Practically Family
https://www.etsy.com/listing/107079047/late-1940s-gillette-aristocrat-double

il_570xN.366456373_biwn.jpg

This and many more safety razors in my shaving section

mattface

Practically Family
Any drug store will sell them for $2 a pack or less. I buy them by the 100 on amazon for $8 with free shipping and always include a pack of 5 with every razor i sell.

mattface

Practically Family
This makes it easy. Now.. which one which one.....

I've only got a couple of double edge razors currently, but this one is a lovely choice. Pretty, and not a bad razor for a beginner. Most of the other safety razors I have right now are single edge. Single edge blades are only slightly harder to come by. Most drug stores still carry them. If you go with single edge I would say any of the 1912 models would ba a good choice to start with. The Micromatic models I have are quite agressive and unforgiving, a better choice once you get your technique down pat.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
How about the 1924 Ever-Ready? Is that a good choice for a beginner?

I'm using a brush and soap for the first time and enjoying that, but I've stuck so far with my Sensor blades. I'm not sure I want to make the move to a double- or single-edge, but I'm tempted by the idea.

What is the benefit of using these types of blades, and would the Ever-Ready be a good starter razor?

BR Gordon

One Too Many
What is the benefit of using these types of blades, and would the Ever-Ready be a good starter razor?

The thing that I like about the DE shaving is that it allows me to escape one more modern day appliance that is outrageously priced. It's not that double edged shaving is really cheaper; by the time that I've collected five razors, four badger hair brushes, half a dozen different soaps, and ten or twelve sample packs of blades. The money that I'm spending is not to just shave but to accommodate a hobby.

mattface

Practically Family
How about the 1924 Ever-Ready? Is that a good choice for a beginner?

I'm using a brush and soap for the first time and enjoying that, but I've stuck so far with my Sensor blades. I'm not sure I want to make the move to a double- or single-edge, but I'm tempted by the idea.

THe 1924 is not a bad choice for a single Edge. the price is the benefit that tends to attract people to try it. I find they shave better for me than most multiblade cartridges. One big advantage is that they don't tend to clog like the carts, but I think once you develop your technique, you can actually get a better shave with them as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24