Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Late 50’s Horsehide Langlitz Cascade M/L

Gypsymoth82

A-List Customer
Late 1950’s Langlitz Cascade, confirmed by Scott at Langlitz as Horsehide after handling it when replacing the main zipper.

This is my best jacket. Heavy, solid, and functional as a riding jacket, but with amazing vintage details. Beautiful and even graining, beautiful tea core, no flaking, gouges or blemishes. Liner is good, leather has an excellent hand.

Measurements:

P2P : 23”
Shoulders: 19”
Sleeve: 24”
Back: 24”
Hem: 19”

Asking $1000 USD + shipping.
IMG_4405.jpeg
IMG_4410.jpeg
IMG_4409.jpeg
IMG_4407.jpeg
IMG_4411.jpeg

Gypsymoth82

A-List Customer
Super quick fit pic before work.

Had some questions about the 23 “ P2P…..it’s really closer to 22/22.5, but you get 23” when you stretch the tape at the corner of the footballs. I would say this jacket fits a 42 all day.

IMG_4432.jpeg
IMG_4433.jpeg

Gypsymoth82

A-List Customer
So this is what I know:

Langlitz made Jackets with Green labels until 1956. Many if not most of them were in Horse. They switched to the white label in 1956, but continued to make them in horse, until moving mainly to cow and goat in the later 60s and beyond.
I've never seen a Langlitz jacket with the 5th label and a green label for horse. They put green labels on all their horse now, and I've seen lots of examples of jackets with the 6th label (USA under Portland Oregon) but I think that's in the last 15 years maybe?

When I got this jacket the main zipper was toast, so I sent it to Langlitz. Scott, who has been there for a number of years told me that he was sure it was horse based on the weight, look and feel. I know some guys say that you can't tell the difference, but I think one can.

I don't buy that they decided to change labels from Green to White, and then suddenly never made another jacket in Horse until the 2000's.

Just my opinion obvs.

Backchannel

New in Town
Im with you. I don’t doubt the jacket is horse hide. I was just doubting the age as it’s been my experience that 50s
Langlitz horsehide jackets have green labels But I am not the friggan oracle of Langlitz labelin though. I’m sure people went in in the 60s and 70s and specialty ordered horsehide all the time. It would be easier to date if it had the original zipper.

whatever. Either way it’s a beautiful jacket and well worth a grand.

Gypsymoth82

A-List Customer
Cheers man.

I have to admit that I have geeked out pretty hard on this company. I've owned 3, bought one for my wife, and have one on the way. All the ones I've had were vintage, and the only vintage leather jacket that I feel good about wearing on my motorcycle. The fact that they have survived as such a small PNW company for this long speaks to how good they are.

In terms of the jacket, it has the diamond pulls in the pockets, which were the same as the ones I had on the fur lined Columbia that I had, which was stamped '62. So that sort of ballpark date wise.

Backchannel

New in Town
62? I’d buy that. Speaking of buying let me check the funds and I’ll circle back tomorrow. i gotta get some sleep.

Talk soon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner