Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Late '50s-Early '60s Hart Schaffner Marx Jacket, 40R

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Picked up today this very well-made jacket that I think is from the late '50s or early '60s. It's a Hart, Schaffner, and Marx, which has always been a good brand and was outstanding in the Golden Era. This is from the Silver Trumpeter line. Construction was still very good when this was made--it has fully canvassed construction, well-finished seams, and a fair amount of handwork. Lapels are slim (2 1/4"), and it has an unusually shaped notch. Fabric is a brown-and-black glen plaid with a rust-colored overcheck running through it. Condition is good; no holes, rips, or tears that I could find. There is one dime-sized water spot on the lapel (see picture below); it's fainter than it appears in the picture and I think would come out with cleaning.

I estimate it's a 40R; see measurements to make sure it will fit you.

Chest: 44"
Waist: 42"
Sleeve: 24"
Length (from bottom of collar) 29.5"
Center back vent: 8"
Lapel width: 2 1/4"

Asking $35 shipped in the Continental US; I greatly prefer Paypal. PM me if interested.

DSC00316.jpg

DSC00317.jpg

DSC00318.jpg

Closer to the actual color

DSC00320.jpg

DSC00321.jpg

Half-lining

DSC00322.jpg

HSM label

DSC00325.jpg

Copyright 1949 union tag

DSC00326.jpg

Blank name/date/size/lot tag

hsitz

New in Town
I tried to pm but I've never posted before and the pm function seems disabled for me. Nevertheless I'd be interested in this jacket. I just bought a new Hart jacket yesterday at Nordstrom; it's a 40R and fit me pretty well. Is this one likely to fit me? I'm perfectly happy to take it to a tailor to get perfect fit, just want it to be close.

Thanks,

Herb

hsitz

New in Town
Orgetorix -- Thanks, I just noticed that you'd replied to my post. I'm going to have to find a tape measure to check what my good fitting jackets are. I just moved and I'm sure I have one in one of my boxes somewhere. . . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace