Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Latest Acquisition

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
How was it to work with, Art?

Myron, this is the best, tightest felt I have ever worked with, bar none!!! In pouncing the hat instead of felt "balls" coming up, it was felt dust. After the crown iron finishing and pouncing I equate it to the Stetson 100s and Dobbs 100s that i have seen and owned. The bad news it that i only had 8 to start with and now it looks like I might only have two left, both smaller sizes. Oh well, I just have to re-start the search.:)

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
What a gorgeous hat, Art! On my monitor the hat looks creamy and the ribbon looks to be a peach color.

I will have to keep watch and see what colors you get in, vintage or no, in the near future.

karol

The hat is more of a cream color than anything else so it seems you two have better monitors. :D
Art is always great to work with because he already knows what I want and how I want it to look so I have no problems. :cool2: He will also be honest and tell you if the style you want looks good or bad on you. Some are out to just sell hats but Art is out to sell the right hat to the right person.
I have a vintage felt bias so it is not likely you are going to hear me brag about anything new. LOL Like Art said, the only thing new about my hat is the sweatband and the liner. I have many vintage hats that have had both of these things replaced and they are good for another lifetime of wear. The hat is really a vintage hat. I have a Cavanagh Fifty and the felt of my "new" hat is probably better. I have not been so lucky as to handle a Dobbs 100 to compare---unfortunately. Those are so rare that you will likely see only one in a few years.

Regards to all,

J

myronw

New in Town
Hi Art,

Don't ever give up the hunt! Those vintage bodies are just too nice... Why do you suppose someone would have put them back and left them for so long. Are the bodies surfacing now some that were around when hats lost their popularity, or were they just being hoarded for a rainy day, or...

Anyway, it's a gorgeous hat, and you deserve the praise being heaped on you.

Keep smiling,

Myron

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thanks Myron,
I really have no clue why the vintage are starting to show up. In my case I was at another hatters shop for different reasons discussing how difficult it was to find equipment etc and how you litterally have to buy out complete hat shops to get a few needed items. He explained how he had , over the years, bought three and had an attic full of stuff to show for it.:eek:
I of course suggested a "show & tell" and he had about 50 bodies of different era's amongst SO much odd tools & stuff. He wasn't willing to sell the tools but he didn't regard the bodies very highly so I was able to pick out the best of the lot that were'nt completely moth eaten. I ended up with 8.
This is also the gentleman that offered and sold his entire stock of vintage ribbons to me as they were of little use to him. He only works with Westerns and most were too wide. I was able to triple my ribbon supply in one stop!! Of course, I also went broke quickly.:)

myronw

New in Town
Hi Art,

Well, that makes sense. But, you've proven to be pretty inovative when it comes to hat styles... Maybe you could come up with some that "celebrate" the moth holes! Then you could buy up the rest of his stock and fulfill that may more dreams. Put you thinking cap on... I'm sure you'll be able to come up with something!

Keep smiling,

Myron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt