Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Layering OVER a leather?

2wheelgrplr

A-List Customer
Why do some people wear a vest over a leather leather jacket? I can understand an overcoat or waxed cotton field jacket for warmth, but is denim thing is just about aesthetics, club colours...?

You got it - aesthetics & club colours, pretty much. My club patch is actually on a leather vest, my denim vest pretty much for that MC look & extra pockets! :)

Edward

Bartender
Whilst the denim cut-off over a leather is an iconic look, I'm not sure if it'll fit in with the aesthetic that a lot of people around here espouse. :cool:

Probably a bit later than the general thrust of interest here.... I think it dates to the early mid-sixties.

Why do some people wear a vest over a leather leather jacket? I can understand an overcoat or waxed cotton field jacket for warmth, but is denim thing is just about aesthetics, club colours...?

Yes, aesthetics. The story goes that when the outlaw motorcycle gangsw as we know them now evolved colours as we know them now in the early-mid sixties, they were originally on denim. Leather would have been laughed at. It was a point of pride to never wash them. At some point, to rile the bikers, police who had them in the drunk tank would wash their 'cuts'; after that, they started all using leather in order to thwart that. Wearing denim like that is derived from the outlaw mc look.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Interesting documentary on Netflix at present 'Rubble Kings' ...... lots of 'cuts' over other clothing :)

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I’ve been interested in vests over leather since i saw some pictures by Freewheelers. I’m definitely not in the market for a $1000 vest but I like the look and feel of this $70 Carhartt. I also like having handwarmer pockets on the D oocket when it’s cold out. I added snaps to secure the vest to the lapel snap receivers so it stays in place when I take it off. The V cut best definitely works best for jackets with lapels.
IMG_2910.jpeg
IMG_2912.jpeg
IMG_5315.jpeg
IMG_5321.jpeg

Last edited:

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
I used to wear a Lee dungaree jacket with the sleeves cut off over a leather jacket. I liked the way that looked.
I don't care for ANY (
not singling you out bfd70 ) of this though.......IMO it looks ridiculous....maybe even worse. What in the hell is the world coming too.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart