Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather biker jacket

Toggle

New in Town
I recently purchased a lovely leather jacket and I am trying to get the history behind it, its my belief it was made in China and probably sold there as there is only a care label in Chinese . Where it gets confusing is the zip fastener and press stud buttons have Acne Studios stamped on, and where you expect to find a label with the same name is a piece of leather sewn under the collar inside. I have asked them about this and they cant confirm if its one of their jackets but did say it could well be one of their older ones. They also state normally there is an English label as well as in Chinese.I have tracked the codes from the label and they just confirm its leather and come from China. I would love to know if this jacket was sold in China and its made its way over to the UK with its owner. Hope someone can help please

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
It could have just been shipped... I own a bunch of American made jackets that made it to Europe without traveling on someone's back.
What difference does it make?

Toggle

New in Town
It could have just been shipped... I own a bunch of American made jackets that made it to Europe without traveling on someone's back.
What difference does it make?
I doubt it very much I purchased it from my local charity shop. All Im trying to establish is why would the zip/button studs have Acne Studios on but no label and as they confirmed usually there is an English label not just Chinese. I would love to know the history thats all. Maybe someone out there that would know.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I doubt it very much I purchased it from my local charity shop. All Im trying to establish is why would the zip/button studs have Acne Studios on but no label and as they confirmed usually there is an English label not just Chinese. I would love to know the history thats all. Maybe someone out there that would know.

Could it be a fake? I have never heard of that brand but they look like expensive fashion clothing, that's the kind of stuff that gets counterfeit a lot.

Toggle

New in Town
Could it be a fake? I have never heard of that brand but they look like expensive fashion clothing, that's the kind of stuff that gets counterfeit a lot.
Possible but I have established its leather so Im happy. Acne Studios is based in Sweden and I know Selfridges stock their goods

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Wait, so you would be happy to have a fake leather jacket because it is leather and stocked by Selfridges?

I don't know what this thread is about anymore... Good luck with your jacket.

Jasonissm

Practically Family
It's possibility it's fake or generic or whatever and they just use the bootleg hardware because it's cheap/available vs unbranded hardware. You see these Frankenstein Chinese jackets sometimes where it's got a bunch of random brands hardware/tags because that's just what's available on the market at lowest cost.

barnabus

One Too Many
I remember years ago on filmjackets forum, a member there had a waxed cotton jacket custom made to his own spec by a foreign maker (I can't remember the country of origin, sadly). He ordered it to a Belstaff Trialmaster design, but to his own specs of waxed cotton, colour, lining, etc.

When it arrived it was a beautiful jacket and he was very pleased, but the maker had "accidentally" tagged it with fake Belstaff labels and the little pocket flag.

So I always assumed there was just a thriving and oblivious foreign counterfeit market and nobody out there really cared.

Tl;dr - I bet the OP's jacket is a straight up fake. But that doesn't mean it isn't a lovely jacket nonetheless.

Edward

Bartender
I remember years ago on filmjackets forum, a member there had a waxed cotton jacket custom made to his own spec by a foreign maker (I can't remember the country of origin, sadly). He ordered it to a Belstaff Trialmaster design, but to his own specs of waxed cotton, colour, lining, etc.

When it arrived it was a beautiful jacket and he was very pleased, but the maker had "accidentally" tagged it with fake Belstaff labels and the little pocket flag.

So I always assumed there was just a thriving and oblivious foreign counterfeit market and nobody out there really cared.

Tl;dr - I bet the OP's jacket is a straight up fake. But that doesn't mean it isn't a lovely jacket nonetheless.

Common practice. In Beijing, there are tailors where you can go in and order all sorts of garments where you pick out the one you want from the brand's own catalogues. The quality of what the customer receives is, of course, variable. In the downtown Pearl Market, last time I was in they had rows and rows of leather wallets, all of the same design, but with every designer logo you can think of stamped on them. Like this wallet design but don't like Gucci? Here it is with the D&G brand instead....

Of course, an awful lot of "the real thing" is made in China too; oftentimes, the counterfeits are made in the same factory, an order having been simply doubled up, and half the run the sold out the side door. It's playing fast and loose with intellectual property law, though the law of the market is also writ large here: ultimately, counterfeit goods exist because there are people willing to pay for them.

I imagine the maker you mention is well used to supplying "Belstaff" branded goods to people who want a "Belstaff" label - as distinct from your pal who obviously just wanted the jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112