Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather conditioner

dnjan

One Too Many
My husband is one of those "leather people" lol so I asked him. He suggested Kiwi brand mink oil, because it also contains lanolin and silicone for better water repellancy. It will darken the boots some, and if used properly - NO, it does not harm the leather or stitching. Once you apply the oil, if you can let the boots sit in the sun to warm up - warm leather will absorb the product better.

Non-locally, I highly recommend a product called "Blackrock." That stuff is amazing. You can usually find it on ebay for around $10-$20 for a container that will last forever. It is also excellent for use on antique items like flight helmets and old A2s.
Thanks for the Blackrock recommendation. I ordered some, and have started weekly treatment of my "everyday" boots.

I had been using Kiwi mink oil. It definitely darkened the boots. I probably would have stayed with Kiwi, but it seemed to attract and hold dirt. Every so often I would need to do a significant saddle-soaping, and that still didn't get all the worked-in dirt out.

After I got the Blackrock, I again saddle-soaped and let the boots dry overnight. Then applied the Blackrock as directed. Wiping down with a paper towel (as directed) took off a significant amount of dirt, and more comes out each week when I repeat the Blackrock treatment.

Definitely a satisfied customer. Thanks again, fortworthgal!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21