Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather hats?

fmw

One Too Many
I never see mention of leather hats on FL. I don't own one either. I have some interest in the Barmah or BC hats. Any feedback from the group?

Corky

Practically Family
I have owned a few over the years. They tend to be hot, heavy, and prone to shrinkage.

The fedora style leather hats don't breathe like a felt hat.

I currently own a dark brown pigskin driving cap.

Last edited:

fmw

One Too Many
The thread to which Lefty pointed me rechannelled my interest in it. Thanks.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Things like leather hats just make me angry - a product hyped to the newbie, and it will be such a horrible experience that they will never wear a hat again. Heavy, hot. Possibly the only choice that is even worse than a wool fedora.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Things like leather hats just make me angry - a product hyped to the newbie, and it will be such a horrible experience that they will never wear a hat again. Heavy, hot. Possibly the only choice that is even worse than a wool fedora.

Exactly. I've got one that I've had for thirty years or so, and probably wore it a few months when I first received it, and never since. One of these days I should dig it out and post photos of it.

Brad

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hi, the experience between the leather hat and a wool hat is the waxed cloth hat. Just a bit cooler than leather, doesn't shrink like wool, but always looks like crap after wearing for that first day.

later

Panda Moanium

New in Town
I wouldn't be so negative about them. I developed my interest in hats through a chance acquisition of a Kakadu leather hat I picked up at a country fair, and although I don't wear it that much now I couldn't really fault it. OK, its a bit heavier than fur felt, but I never found it to be a problem, indeed it's very comfortable and the weight means its not as likely to blow off in windy weather. As regards heat, I've worn it in the height of summer at temps up to 30C (86F) and as low as -15C (5F) and found it perfectly acceptable. In fact I'd sweat a lot more in a fur felt with lining.

I've also got a Baramah kangaroo leather hat which is one purchase I'm sorry I made - primarily because I find the crown much too low and it just doesn't look right in my opinion. But it's a tough baby - I wore it out hiking one day when it poured rain for hours and it did an excellent job of keeping me dry - even if it was soaked though in the end. And because it's squashable, it's great to throw into a bag for emergencies.

From following this forum I have become a convert to the fur felt world but sometimes there does seem to be a bit of snobbery here towards any hat that isn't fur felt or straw. At the end of the day it's good that people are wearing hats, and if a leather hat starts an interest that leads ultimately to them acquiring better quality hats surely that's a good thing.

Edward

Bartender
I have a Stetson eight panel / newsboy cap which I picked up last year. Wore it all Winter - far superior to wool in heavy rain, and I really like the look.

41h6YUU7w8L._SS500_.jpg

The Stetson Burney. Never had a problem with it being too hot - I would notice that quickly, as being shaven-headed sweat on the crown just rolls straight down my face. I wouldn't wear it in Summer, of course, but in cooler weather I find it in some ways better than wool. I think it is hogskin, though the label doesn't identify it beyond 'leather'. I would love to have one the same in either a black or grey tone, but the only thing I can find anywhere is shiny black leather. Although no doubt equal to my Stetson in utilitarian terms, the look of a shiny black newsboy is a touch too fetish for me at best, and at worst just looks cheap.

I can't much see me buying a leather fedora style these days. If, on the other hand, I was spending a big proportion of my time outside in all weathers I might consider it as a more pleasingly shaped item than most of the wax cotton equivalents.

Last edited:

Lastmohecken

Familiar Face
I don't like most leather hats, but I did purchase a real Australian water Buffalo leather hat about 8 years ago, after looking at one that an Australian friend always wore. It's been a great hat, but mine is a crushable and it's tough as nails, but one does have to get used to a little more droop of the brim, and it's not too good in the wind. I still prefer a good Beaver Felt if I have to choose. And now that I have a couple of Stetson Fedoras, I doubt my leather hat will see much use, but rain, snow, abuse, you can't hardy hurt it.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a Stetson eight panel / newsboy cap which I picked up last year. Wore it all Winter - far superior to wool in heavy rain, and I really like the look.

41h6YUU7w8L._SS500_.jpg

The Stetson Burney. Never had a problem with it being too hot - I would notice that quickly, as being shaven-headed sweat on the crown just rolls straight down my face. I wouldn't wear it in Summer, of course, but in cooler weather I find it in some ways better than wool. I think it is hogskin, though the label doesn't identify it beyond 'leather'. I would love to have one the same in either a black or grey tone, but the only thing I can find anywhere is shiny black leather. Although no doubt equal to my Stetson in utilitarian terms, the look of a shiny black newsboy is a touch too fetish for me at best, and at worst just looks cheap.

I can't much see me buying a leather fedora style these days. If, on the other hand, I was spending a big proportion of my time outside in all weathers I might consider it as a more pleasingly shaped item than most of the wax cotton equivalents.

I have one similar Edward, except it isn't a Stetson. I wear it to work during the winter months, (that lately are seemingly endless).

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I have a lamb skin cap I got a few years ago from Berkely Hats ... The Little Apple ... and I really enjoy it in fall and winter. It's great to wear under a parka hood in REALLY bad weather.

And I have a black leather Skully tophat that I bought in 1972 and wore that winter with a World War II Army overcoat whilst I drove my 1947 Ford Deluxe Sedan around town. Believe it or not, people noticed that sort of thing ... especially in the middle of Kansas and while Harry Nilson was blaring out of the 8-track I installed in the old Ford.

The leather tophat was really impractical, however, and got put into storage while I was still in college.

I haven't really seen much of a practical use for leather hats ever since.

Years ago, when I was writing a book review column dealing with regional histories of the Old West, a book came out from a national publisher that was supposedly about the old west and the writer claimed the "Mountain Men" would make serviceable leather hats by taking raw buffalo leather, wetting it and then forming the sheet of rawhide in a hole in the ground that was approximately the same size as their head

Right

And the first time they got caught in a Great Plains thunderstorm and then road into the sun, they'd have their skulls crushed by the shrinking rawhide.

So much for leather hats.

Sam

Jantjeuh

Familiar Face
Sorry for digging up a slightly older thread, but I can highly recommend the Barmah leather hats. My sson to be wife has a 'suede finish' one which looks truly nice on her, and I have a Cooper. W take them everywhere on vacation.. They are so easy, and I think pretty much indestructible. I oil mine and what not, and mine just looks exactly how I imagined it would look after some wear... excellent :) We definitely get at least one cowboy remark whenw earing them though, but that doesn't bother us at all.

I like the Suede because it looks very clean and nice, but I prefer mine because as I oil it and what not (well, that leather hat goo type of stuff) and I take it on/off often, it actually has taken the 'pinch' shape of how I pinch it when I take it on or off, it looks great :) Of course, this is not a hat to wear with a suit or to go to church, let that be clear. But if you want a trouble free travel companion that will keep the sun of your face/neck and look good too, this is the one.

Ps: I tried the other leather hat brands, I prefer Barmah.

Lastmohecken

Familiar Face
Yeah, mine is a Barmah, also. I wear it in the winter time, during rain and snow. I don't find it all that hot, but mine does have vent holes. Mine had never shrunk either, as a matter of fact I wish it would just a little bit.

And I have gotten a lot of favorable compliments on it over the years, with only one exception from a younger man who still lives with his mom, and has assburgers, who called me "heah cowboy" one day at church. I gave him sort of a mean look, and he has never done it since. He's one of those guys that just has to talk all of the time, and gets on my nerves, sometimes, but really he's a pretty friendly fellow, and always wants to shake my hand when he sees me. I think he was just being friendly, but that comment has always agrivated me from the time I was kid.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I never see mention of leather hats on FL. I don't own one either. I have some interest in the Barmah or BC hats. Any feedback from the group?

I bought one in the early 70's and wore it quite abit for about a year. After one Texas summer it took on an obnoxious odor and was really a sweat bucket almost year round. Would'nt wear one again.

Jantjeuh

Familiar Face
ShowImage.aspx

The thing about leather hats, in my opinion, is that they don't look good on pictures, you should check them out in real life. I have the above one and it looks 10 times better in reality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo