Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Jacket Alteration

JohnnyJazz

New in Town
I recently purchased a custom leather jacket from one of the well-known motorcycle jacket manufacturers. When I received it, the sleeves were about 1.5 inches too short. So I sent the jacket back and they said the were going to unfold the bottom of the sleeves to lengthen it and then add some lining to finish it. Does this seems like a reasonable thing to do on a $700 jacket? Also, is there anything I should look for in terms of the alteration when I get it back?

Depends on the sleeves, the details of the sale, and whether your numbers were correct.
Was it custom?
What kind of sleeve end? Does it have a cuff or straight sleeve to the end?
It could be OK and it could be a disaster. Need more details.

JohnnyJazz

New in Town
It was custom made to my measurments. It was 22 inches from my shoulder to wrist bone (the measurement they asked for) and that's how long the made the sleeves. It looked ridiculously short. The sleeves are folder underneath without being sewn. I'm not sure what that is called. How would they lower the zipper in a case like disaster?

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
who would want a leather jacket w/the sleeves ending at the wristbone??

Although something strange happened in the OP's circumstances, I can imagine an experienced jacket maker could adapt sleeve length from a wristbone measurement. GW asks for the following sleeve measurement:

Arm length, from what is essentially a t-shirt sleeve/shoulder seam to very end of arm bones.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Well sleeves for an average male are usually 25 inches or more - I take 26 inches. But is this a jacket with knit cuffs, leather cuffs or a barrel end? Details will help. But the repair sounds like a pretty poor technique.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21