Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather jacket newbie questions re. Vanson jacket

chemprofjspencer

New in Town
Hello all! Please allow me to introduce myself. I'm a leather jacket newbie, and I just received my first "vintage" jacket. I normally spend months researching and trying to understand a new subject before I dive in and purchase something, but I took a chance on what I thought was a good deal for a Vanson leather jacket. It was listed as a 60s vintage, but I don't have any way of verifying that. Here are some pics:

I was hoping that the fine folks here at TFL would be able to provide their insight into this jacket. Any resources or help with narrowing down age and leather, model name/number, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Also, pointing me in the direction of preferred resources regarding cleaning/condition and what you think may be needed for the jacket would be kindly appreciated. There are some loose threads on the jacket and in the lining—my inclination is to cut them a bit short then burn the ends with a lighter, but I am open to best suggestions for addressing these as well.

Finally, I paid ~$180 for the jacket; good deal or no? If I decide its not for me, what would be a fair market value to ask for the jacket in classifieds?

Finally-finally, any comments on the fit?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Vanson was founded in the 1970’s, 1974 to be exact so it’s not from the 60’s. The white label in your jacket is Vansons first, so it is most def an early model, though I can’t say which number/letter as it’s discontinued... Fit looks great! Perfect!

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Nice jacket, congratulations. Although I'm not a Vanson expert (there are some more knowledgabe members in this forum) I would actually date the jacket in their early days because of the label. Unless the jacket feels dry or stiff, I personally wouldn't do anything to the jacket, maybe rub it with a damp cloth (nice patina, that should preserved). However, the most important thing is how you feel in the jacket, everything is perfect. Because of the loose stitching, if they bother you your suggestion would be ok, otherwise leave it as is (original remains original even with loose threads). I can't say much about the price as I don't really know the market value of Vansons, but I don't think you paid too much for the Jacket.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I owned one of these, I think it was a late 70s or early 80s jacket. The leather on mine was the worst leather I ever had in a jacket. It was extremely spongy, I wasn't even sure it was real leather. It felt like a sponge with a topcoat.

It looks better in the pics than in real life

IMG_6314.jpeg
IMG_6315.jpeg
IMG_6316.jpeg
IMG_6320.jpeg
IMG_6323.jpeg
IMG_6322.jpeg
IMG_6326.jpeg
IMG_6324.jpeg

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Looks like a nice entry jacket, good fit. Keep it if you like it. I would say around $200 is a fair asking price. On ebay you may see people asking crazy prices, but these don't sell, they just sit.

Yeah the white label leathers are generally less desirable. It pre dates the comp weight era of the 80’s through about 2010-15 when even that went downhill. But there is promise it’s returning to its former glory. That said I did like my white label jacket.
IMG_3964.jpeg
IMG_3965.jpeg
IMG_3966.jpeg

chemprofjspencer

New in Town
That's a nice looking jacket.

I'm pretty happy with it. I don't know about spongy leather or not, as I have never had the opportunity to handle a nice leather jacket—just a bunch of imported jackets being sold in the local antique store, and this is better than those.

I plan on keeping it for now. Thanks everyone for your help! Any other comments also appreciated and welcomed.

—JS

chemprofjspencer

New in Town
If your nick is indicative of your profession, I would like to welcome another chemist to TFL. We talk a lot about leather conditioners and topcoats, and science-based/chemistry perspective is always welcome in this snake oil - infested area, lol.

Thanks! Yes, I'm a physical chemist, and snake oil seems to be everywhere. Over the years I've been involved in forums from audiophile enthusiasts to cast iron collecting to cooking knives and culinary devotees to archery fanatics—there is always something magic happening in every enthusiast circle, so I'm unsurprised to find it in leather goods as well.

But the real crazies are the audiophiles—they've turned the snake oil business into a snake-oil empire.

(No offense intended to any audiophiles out there... listening to my headphone OTL tube amp through my Audeze LCD-2s right now...)

Peacoat

Bartender
It looks like a good fit, but hard to tell as there isn't a picture of the jacket zipped up.

While I normally am an advocate of not putting conditioner on jackets, I think the time has come for this jacket. You don't want it to start cracking. Once the cracks start, there is no going back.

While I have numerous conditioners, most of which were recommended by board members here, my favorite is the tried and true Pecard. I would start off with one coat and see if the jacket soaks it up. If so, I would do another coat and wipe off any excess the leather didn't absorb.

I might add that in 17+ years on this board and seeing many discussions about conditioning leather jackets, this is the first and only time I have recommended that a member put conditioner on his jacket. In my opinion, your jacket has reached that stage.

Yes, you will temporarily lose the patina, but that is a trade off for not having cracks. As the jacket dries out after conditioning, as it invariably will, another application of conditioner will be required. Also, loss of patina is not permanent. As the leather dries out, the patina will return.

Good luck whichever route you choose.

chemprofjspencer

New in Town
It looks like a good fit, but hard to tell as there isn't a picture of the jacket zipped up.

While I normally am an advocate of not putting conditioner on jackets, I think the time has come for this jacket. You don't want it to start cracking. Once the cracks start, there is no going back.

While I have numerous conditioners, most of which were recommended by board members here, my favorite is the tried and true Pecard. I would start off with one coat and see if the jacket soaks it up. If so, I would do another coat and wipe off any excess the leather didn't absorb.

I might add that in 17+ years on this board and seeing many discussions about conditioning leather jackets, this is the first and only time I have recommended that a member put conditioner on his jacket. In my opinion, your jacket has reached that stage.

Yes, you will temporarily lose the patina, but that is a trade off for not having cracks. As the jacket dries out after conditioning, as it invariably will, another application of conditioner will be required. Also, loss of patina is not permanent. As the leather dries out, the patina will return.

Good luck whichever route you choose.

That's quite the recommendation, and I will heed it. I have multiple leather conditioners for boots, including products by Saphir, Bickmore, and others. Would you recommend against Bick 4? That's the only conditioner that I have seen that hasn't actually darkened leather boots, and was my first inclination for this jacket when I received it today.

Peacoat

Bartender
That's quite the recommendation, and I will heed it. I have multiple leather conditioners for boots, including products by Saphir, Bickmore, and others. Would you recommend against Bick 4? That's the only conditioner that I have seen that hasn't actually darkened leather boots, and was my first inclination for this jacket when I received it today.

Bick 4 is one conditioner I don't have.

If Pecard isn't available locally, it is available on Amazon.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Thanks! Yes, I'm a physical chemist, and snake oil seems to be everywhere. Over the years I've been involved in forums from audiophile enthusiasts to cast iron collecting to cooking knives and culinary devotees to archery fanatics—there is always something magic happening in every enthusiast circle, so I'm unsurprised to find it in leather goods as well.

But the real crazies are the audiophiles—they've turned the snake oil business into a snake-oil empire.

(No offense intended to any audiophiles out there... listening to my headphone OTL tube amp through my Audeze LCD-2s right now...)

I know exactly what you mean. However, I did learn excellent tips to improve the walls in my listening room.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner