Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Jacket Pix; An Observation

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Throughout my years spent in the FL, I've seen pix of many beautiful leather jackets, all styles, all colors.
The one thing that has struck me, though, is that the vast majority of fit pix show the jacket unzipped/unbuttoned on the wearer.
Is that the way most of you like to wear your jackets?
I've always been one to zip or button my jackets about 1/3 the way up.
Just wondering.
Lenny

Jeigernaut

New in Town
I personally would only zip or button up if it were cold enough to warrant it. I do not ride so thats another factor.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Some jackets I feel comfortable wearing open (GoodWear A1) while most if not all others I wear closed, usually with a scarf in Fall and Winter.

Worf

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Unzipped 99.99% of the time.

It just doesn't get cold enough here to need to zip up and to be honest I prefer the unzipped look.

devilish

A-List Customer
Done up, zipped or buttoned.
Edit: As people are being specific about it. If it's my zippered flight jackets, up about halfway in most situations. If it's the A-1, then up until two buttons from the top.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
Zipped for me, unless it is the Goodwear A-2, then I leave it unzipped as the pockets are off center when the jacket is zipped. Unzipped, they appear to be centered.

Tarwater

Familiar Face
I zip to ride or when weather requires, otherwise it's a throwover and go. That said for fit pics I do appreciate seeing both...particularly with diagonal zip jackets.

Plumbline

One Too Many
For me it's weather or activity dependent ..

Only really zip or button if it's either too cold or I'm on the bike. If it's zipped or buttoned it's usually NEVER up to the throat .. that's what god made scarves for :D

HTH

Deacon211

One Too Many
That's actually a fascinating observation. I don't know if the convention still holds, but in the military there were only two acceptable ways to wear a jacket.

Zipped and off.

It's interesting that many civilians do wear it zipped as the mil still holds (theoretically at least) to old conventions like no hands in pockets, wearing covers outdoors, and fastening uniforms that can be fastened.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Very much dependent on the jacket and/or the conditions.

My Irvin - mostly 3/4 zipped, sometimes open, very, very rarely completely zipped.
My A-2 - zipped but either half or 3/4.
Barnstormer - pretty fair mix of buttoned and unbuttoned mostly down to what the weather is like.
Leather car coats/moleskin jackets - as with the Barnstomer
B-15s - zipped 3/4
30s/40s civilian flying jacket - either unzipped or 3/4 zipped dependent on weather

Edward

Bartender
Mine get zipped more or less right up (in practice, usually to about an inch or so from the very top - with the like of a thirties halfbelt, the zipper equivalent of a shirt being unbuttoned at the top button) if the cold or wet dictates that to be necessary. Otherwise, I wear them open. Usually prefer the look of any leather jacket open (much like a SB suit jacket). Still, closed is definitely a necessity when determining whether the fit is correct.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner