Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather jackets at the mall, lol

Repairman Joe

New in Town
Man,I've been looking for a good leather jacket off and on for the last 3 years. I'm a big and tall guy so that makes it twice as difficult. Has anybody bought one from JC PENNYS lately? I got a REALLY good 3/4 length leather jacket from them back in the early 90's that lasted me up until about 3 years ago....I wore that jacket all over the world and it held up like a champ through the roughest of weather. Would love to have another one just like it but apparently the company that made it is no longer in business.

Edward

Bartender
I just got a near new 1950's style leather jacket by GAP form a charity store for $20. It is really well made and heavy. Yep, it's made in China but it is as well constructed as some of my custom bike jackets from here. I am surprised. I have never owned anything by GAP before and know nothing about them. Are they not a mall store?

They are indeed. The cut isn't always to my choice, but the quality certainly can be very acceptable. Much like the used Wested Raiders I recently bought - it's not on a par with my Aero's, but it is just grand for a kick around jacket I can take on holiday and not worry about.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
They are indeed. The cut isn't always to my choice, but the quality certainly can be very acceptable. Much like the used Wested Raiders I recently bought - it's not on a par with my Aero's, but it is just grand for a kick around jacket I can take on holiday and not worry about.

Yes, I imagine they're nothing as good as Aero, but actually this Gap is better made than my goat wested. Really good stitching, good finish. Even the quilted lining is of a high standard with no loose threads.

Edward

Bartender
Yes, I imagine they're nothing as good as Aero, but actually this Gap is better made than my goat wested. Really good stitching, good finish. Even the quilted lining is of a high standard with no loose threads.

I can believe that. I'm not up on their current production, but I bought a couple of polo shirts in there for my Dad back about fifteen years ago; I think he still wears them. Their basics back then were markedly more expensive than most of the high street, but the quality was a significant jump up.

Last edited:

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
Man,I've been looking for a good leather jacket off and on for the last 3 years. I'm a big and tall guy so that makes it twice as difficult. Has anybody bought one from JC PENNYS lately? I got a REALLY good 3/4 length leather jacket from them back in the early 90's that lasted me up until about 3 years ago....I wore that jacket all over the world and it held up like a champ through the roughest of weather. Would love to have another one just like it but apparently the company that made it is no longer in business.

I'm a 44L or large-tall and yes, it's makes things difficult. Quality really seems to have nosedived in the past 15 years, regardless of the country of origin.

For instance, Wilson's in the mid 90's was making things in India and Pakistan. The adoption of the M. Julian logo coincided with a switch to China and a loss in quality. The current day offerings with the Pelle Studio label are just crap, plain and simple.

It can be argued that clothing has never been cheaper than it is today. Of course the quality suffers as a result.
clothing.jpg

Philalethes

A-List Customer

I haven't noticed any 3/4 length leather jackets at J.C. Penney's the last few years.

J.C. Penney's is my default department store for many items. I even recently purchased a three piece suit I am happy with - I think it is nicer than the suit I bought from them five years ago.

On the other hand, I think there have been some degradations in quality the last few years. Buttons seem to be a problem. Some of their items appear to use very cheap cotton. I have a nice vintage Stafford quarter-lined "tweed" sportscoat, and the quality is much higher than their current offerings, which are still sometimes nice, but not as good.

One thing I hate in any hobby is snobbery. Yes, mall jackets lack compared to the big brands we discuss here, but I feel blessed that I can afford those and realize not everyone can.
I think it best not to talk badly about items that may be all some members can afford. I'd rather encourage and welcome people to a fun and highly interesting hobby.

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
One thing I hate in any hobby is snobbery. Yes, mall jackets lack compared to the big brands we discuss here, but I feel blessed that I can afford those and realize not everyone can.
I think it best not to talk badly about items that may be all some members can afford. I'd rather encourage and welcome people to a fun and highly interesting hobby.

I think you misinterpreted the point of this thread.

The point was quality means nothing today but large quantities of disposable consumer goods does. It's pervaded almost every product out there. I feel things will change as the economy grows worse and people realize that a $20 used jacket on ebay will outlast anything in the mall. As it stands now though, American consumers don't buy things, they lease them because most everything breaks in a couple years as it was designed to. I blame a good part of our economic problems on that mentality and it's one that I refuse to adopt. Buying smart and snobbery are two different things.

FWIW, I actually buy very little clothing which is why when I buy something, I expect it to last. I do not consider dressing myself as a "hobby" anymore than I'd consider eating as a hobby. I come on this board for the information and how it's supplied, by good-natured folks.

40 years from now, my jacket, record player and 1911s will still be usable while anything from my satanic mall will have long since turned to dust:)

I get the thread. And yes, this place to me is about hobbies.
I don't post online about what I eat or how I exercise or my choice of lawn mower.
As I said, there's probably been lurkers who want to post but feel their items aren't "nice enough". I'm just sayin' be nice. Be happy you can afford things that will last. Some folks are relegated to "satanic malls".
This is a hobby to me. My underwear isn't. ;)

I think you misinterpreted the point of this thread.

The point was quality means nothing today but large quantities of disposable consumer goods does. It's pervaded almost every product out there. I feel things will change as the economy grows worse and people realize that a $20 used jacket on ebay will outlast anything in the mall. As it stands now though, American consumers don't buy things, they lease them because most everything breaks in a couple years as it was designed to. I blame a good part of our economic problems on that mentality and it's one that I refuse to adopt. Buying smart and snobbery are two different things.

FWIW, I actually buy very little clothing which is why when I buy something, I expect it to last. I do not consider dressing myself as a "hobby" anymore than I'd consider eating as a hobby. I come on this board for the information and how it's supplied, by good-natured folks.

40 years from now, my jacket, record player and 1911s will still be usable while anything from my satanic mall will have long since turned to dust:)

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
I get the thread. And yes, this place to me is about hobbies.
I don't post online about what I eat or how I exercise or my choice of lawn mower.
As I said, there's probably been lurkers who want to post but feel their items aren't "nice enough". I'm just sayin' be nice. Be happy you can afford things that will last. Some folks are relegated to "satanic malls".
This is a hobby to me. My underwear isn't. ;)

Everyone has been nice. The only one who has passed any sort of judgment on others here is you. You have revived an old thread without contributing anything positive such as where one can obtain good stuff at a “mall store”.

I’ve posted a couple threads on here about jackets that I have gotten at bargain basement prices and the threads received no responses. That’s more or less because they did not fit in the era this forum caters to which is clearly spelled out in the forum FAQ. The FAQ mentions nothing about the era of cheap Chinese crap. I suppose someone could post about a Chevy Aveo in a Corvette forum but I doubt they’d get any responses either.

No one in this day and age is relegated to just the mall. Good deals can be found on Ebay and in thrift shops. In fact, on my last trip to the mall, I couldn't even find any jacket styles that fit the eras this forum is geared towards. Not even an A-2 which I thought to be ever-present. There are other forums on the web such as styleforums.net where they welcome talk about modern mall garb, including plastic jackets, and sensitive types can post without the fear of perceived ridicule;)

Everyone has been nice. The only one who has passed any sort of judgment on others here is you. You have revived an old thread without contributing anything positive such as where one can obtain good stuff at a “mall store”.

I’ve posted a couple threads on here about jackets that I have gotten at bargain basement prices and the threads received no responses. That’s more or less because they did not fit in the era this forum caters to which is clearly spelled out in the forum FAQ. The FAQ mentions nothing about the era of cheap Chinese crap. I suppose someone could post about a Chevy Aveo in a Corvette forum but I doubt they’d get any responses either.

No one in this day and age is relegated to just the mall. Good deals can be found on Ebay and in thrift shops. In fact, on my last trip to the mall, I couldn't even find any jacket styles that fit the eras this forum is geared towards. Not even an A-2 which I thought to be ever-present. There are other forums on the web such as styleforums.net where they welcome talk about modern mall garb, including plastic jackets, and sensitive types can post without the fear of perceived ridicule;)

Have a nice day...I did NOT revive the thread. But whatever.

3onaMatch

One of the Regulars
Ralph Lauren, and their RRL line in particular, carry some very nice looking and well-made leather jackets. They are a bit pricey, but if you can find one online or at an outlet at a reduced price, it'd be worth your while looking into it. Even cheaper, and still very nice, are jackets made by J Crew. And then what about American Eagle? I'm sure there are plenty more places to look; these are just companies I've personally had experience with. Prices I've paid have ranged from $100 to $400.

Hope this helps.

Ralph Lauren, and their RRL line in particular, carry some very nice looking and well-made leather jackets. They are a bit pricey, but if you can find one online or at an outlet at a reduced price, it'd be worth your while looking into it. Even cheaper, and still very nice, are jackets made by J Crew. And then what about American Eagle? I'm sure there are plenty more places to look; these are just companies I've personally had experience with. Prices I've paid have ranged from $100 to $400.

Hope this helps.

For more than a wonderfully new, custom Aero, you can get these deal!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...58407&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_4862wt_1050
Not a snowball's chance in...

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
I think it depends on which stores you go to. I went into a Wilsons Leather about a month ago and purchased a nice quality leather jacket for about $200. Not all of the jackets they had in the store were quality, but some were. A very limited number of good jackets, but they were there. Some were very cheap and you could tell that they would last only one season of wear. I also think it depends on what your intent for the jacket is. IF you are going to work in the jacket and perhaps have a high probability of getting dirty and maybe damaged, I would go with an inexpensive jacket from one of the "Mall stores".

I think it depends on which stores you go to. I went into a Wilsons Leather about a month ago and purchased a nice quality leather jacket for about $200. Not all of the jackets they had in the store were quality, but some were. A very limited number of good jackets, but they were there. Some were very cheap and you could tell that they would last only one season of wear. I also think it depends on what your intent for the jacket is. IF you are going to work in the jacket and perhaps have a high probability of getting dirty and maybe damaged, I would go with an inexpensive jacket from one of the "Mall stores".

Sure, Nordstrom's is in malls too. As are Saks Fifth Ave. Of course they offer nice, of overpriced jackets. None of them "my" style, but hey, I'm happy to not look like the average contemporary guy. Plus, these styles we tend to like have stood up to decades and still look great. No trends for me. Gave that up in the 80's when I was a kid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80