Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Jackets & Fine Whisky

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
What is your favorite leather jacket and whisky these days?

Mine is a dark brown Aero highwayman FQHH, and a glass of Aberlour A'bunadh. I find that good whisky and Aero jackets seem to go well together. Perhaps it's just a touch of nostalgia for the Scottish side of my family tree, who knows? (My grandfather was a Sinclair.)

I will say this: There's nothing like the scent of FQHH, especially that of Aero's jackets, in the house. The room in which I keep my finest jackets smells of horse hide and cedar, a very pleasant combination.

Lately, I have taken to sipping whisky while wearing FQHH on my porch during seasonably cool summer evenings. I then typically walk the dog in my jacket, before stepping back inside for the evening. Once in a while, I will light up a cigar to smoke while I have my customary one shot's worth of whisky (in a roomier whisky glass) with a touch of water and about ten minutes to settle into the glass before I drink it.

Last week, I lit up a Don Pepin Garcia Blue cigar to go with the Aberlour. I like my highwayman jacket because it is the best broken in jacket by Aero that I own.

[video=youtube;AfnTeOukYAs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfnTeOukYAs[/video]

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
For me my aero and scotch go together perfectly. The earth and oil smells blend seamlessly with my favorite balanced peety and smokey scotch, 16 year old Lagavulin.

Last edited:
Well..I rarely drink whiskey...but when I do..it's usually Irish..and most often Jameson. Just really enjoy it's taste more than most..whether an Aero is nearby or not...and summertime is my time...
HD

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I drink a lot of whiskey (our spelling). Nothing fancy as my tastes are not sophisticated and single malts don't grab me much (and I have tried them all repeatedly).

I go Johnnie Black, Jameson, and for an American spirit, Wild Turkey. Just add a finger of soda to assist with the delivery.

Wearing my Johnson Leathers car coat. It's cold around here right now.

Last edited:

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
I would have to say that my favorite leather jacket is my issued G-1 and my favorite whiskey is Gentleman Jack. It is a bit smoother than Jack Daniels Black Label in that it is charcoal mellowed before going into the barrel, like the Black label, but receives an additional mellowing again after reaching maturity. That process makes it a bit smoother than the Black Label. To make it perfect I would top it off with a good Romeo and Julieta cigar.

CodeRed

One of the Regulars
Thank you!!...my life (mindset) has been validated. Whiskey and leather just go together.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Well about 3 months ago I woke up with a big bump on my head on my bathroom floor.
A vintage Briar Club Car coat nearby Jacket has a cool label (Horse Hide, Made for Defense Workers).
I was indulging A New Bourbon Whiskey Makers 46 by Makers Mark well its 94 proof & very tasty.
I was drinking like i would Makers Mark Slowly but 3 fingers times 2 or more.......My poor wife could not budge me & the floor was comfy as i woke the next day i stayed there for a hour more or so.......:eusa_doh: Johnnie Black tonight Just sippin though.

JakeHolman

One of the Regulars
For sipping whisky I don't mind a simple Jim Beam bourbon but on special occasions - like when a new Aero arrives - a Caol Ila 12 year old (or 18 if I've got the means) is perfect. I've got a small 3oz hip flask that fits nicely in the outside zip pocket of a Highwayman.

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
I have several other Aeros, a US Wings G-1 in Goatskin for hotter weather, a few obscure brand biker jackets that are quite well made, a few Schotts, a few Vansons, and some mall leather that I can't bear to throw away even though I should because I will never wear any of those jackets again.

As for other favorite scotches, here they are:
--Aberlour 18 year (for special occasions only)
--Macallan 12 year (aged in sherry oak; a very good every day scotch)
--Highland Park 15 year
--Old Pulteney 17 year
--Old Pulteney 21 year (my favorite bottle for very special occasions only)

In terms of beer, I favor Boddingtons, McEwan's Scotch Ale, Bass Ale, Trumer Pils, and Weihenstaphaner Kristall Weissbeir.

As for wine, I'm a red wine drinker predominantly and have a fairly recent taste for Grenache grapes. Just drank a bottle of Moxy and it had a nice flavor. I was surprised how long the bottle lasted without going bad. I opened it on a Thursday and rediscovered it on the following Monday night and it was even better tasting. That has never happened before. Those Moxy grapes must be enchanted! It certainly has very high alcohol content for wine.

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
Old Crow: you have good taste. Lagavulin is fantastic. I shared a bottle of that with a good friend about fifteen years ago the summer the Northern Lights went all the way down to New Mexico in a freak sunspot flare event. That night, my friend and I thought we were gonners with a forest fire coming up over the mountain right towards our campsite. We didn't even bother packing up. There was only one road out, and it went right over the ridge with the glowing red haze. We just sat and drank the rest of the Lagavulin, smoking good cigars, seeing what would happen.

When the lights began to climb up over the ridge, we figured out what as happening. Aurora activity. This was down in Northern California, so to see the Northern Lights down there was freak weather, indeed.

Anyhow, great taste in scotch, Old Crow. I like your style. Brings back a once in a lifetime memory. Back then, Lagavulin was much cheaper and every bit as good. Then the distillery upped the price considerably. That's about the time I moved on from being such a loyal buyer of Lagavulin, although I am due to splurge and buy a bottle this year.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Maybe my recently acquired brown steerhide Highwayman (until my medium weight black Highwayman arrives) and 10-year Laphroaig (16-year Lagavulin is too expensive these days). Maybe my own Scottish genes could be generating my response. Having grown up in East Tennessee not too far from the Jack Daniels' distillery, I should appreciate that brand but do not, and taste buds perceive the aroma and taste of a mixture of kerosene and ethanol with that brand. In any case, I have an appreciation for aged Islay single malt, which my wife thinks tastes like cough syrup. All about perception and taste.

Coinneach

New in Town
The Dalmore 12y, now that my Cigar Malt is gone. The Jura Superstition or Tobermory 10y due well also, Highland Park 12y is always a good back up. Old Schott horsehide racer or US Authentic G1 for leather.
Just finished a doz. Glidden Pts. on the half shell with a glass of Jura. Now the NY strip on the grill and another glass of Jura....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner