Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Jackets on Ebay is Like Heroin

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Actually, I think it makes good sense to tag according to the garment's exact measurements. That way, if the buyer knows his own body measurements he can choose the garment size according to his own preference as to snug vs. roomy fit. However, it works only so long as it's understood by all what the tag size refers to.

I wonder, at what point in history did the garment industry shift from having tags that refer to the garment's measurements to having tags that refer to the person's measurements? Any garment industry historians out there?

That's the weird thing...suits were tagged for the wearer's size, so a size 42 would measure 22 pit to pit. However, leather jackets were tagged per the actual measurements. It Just seems like a confusing practice to me.

spike42

New in Town
Yeah, and all this size-vs-label gets even more interesting when you need an extra size. I note that some manufacturers will have "Long" and also
"Tall" designations, for the same model. What's up with that? Then when comparing specs for individual specimens, I find some talls are longer
than longs and vice versa. Argh. Personally, I need extra length in both overall length, and arms. Try and get *both* of those criteria in any particular jacket. I can sometimes get that in an XLT size, but then many times its a tent on me width-wise...I think I mentioned, I wear a 46L in some blazers and a 44L in others (6'3", 38" waist, 37" dress shirt sleeve). Sure wish I favored long coats, but alas I've always been a "jacket guy"....so unless I get just the right garment, I look like Ichabod Crane with plumbers butt :}

Anxiously waiting the day I have enough saved to order something from one of the many vendors discussed here. Also very happy to have found a
place where such things are discussed in such detail; this place is great!

Last edited:

AtlantaSpike

Familiar Face
Well, after missing out on two Aeros last week that I really was into, I finally hit on one. Now I have to sweat whether or not it's real horsehide as well as sizing, but it was too good a deal to pass up.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
Well, after missing out on two Aeros last week that I really was into, I finally hit on one. Now I have to sweat whether or not it's real horsehide as well as sizing, but it was too good a deal to pass up.

I don't blame you for worrying about the fit. Good Luck, (you'll need it). But I wouldn't sweat the hide issue one bit. The thing that kills me about this whole Aero mess is that people were totally happy and satisfied with what they had (and couldn't tell the difference). I expect people to feel ripped off a little and desire to be compensated a little. But it isn't like where some bad person was substituting phony vaccine or vital aircraft parts! I think that's a different category of wickedness (and injury).

Last edited:

dude

New in Town
i'm in hamburg waiting for some business to finish and i'm really enjoying the fun on german and UK ebay. i found my first aero (a vintage steeerhide highwayman) here in germany. i notice that certain products are priced better in certain markets. fascinating stuff...

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
i'm in hamburg waiting for some business to finish and i'm really enjoying the fun on german and UK ebay. i found my first aero (a vintage steeerhide highwayman) here in germany. i notice that certain products are priced better in certain markets. fascinating stuff...
Unless you are really bothered steer jackets often sell much much less than the FQHorse equivalent. I have bought a couple of steer highwayman jackets, both under £175 but i have not seen a properly listed FQ horse jacket go for under £200, unless it is damaged. Keep a look out on Aero's second hand page(Or pre-loved if you are that way inclined).

dude

New in Town
thanks rocketeer...i love the steerhide highwayman i found and feel pretty hooked on aero. i'm in the weeds waiting for a nice horsehide next. maybe a half-belt or a teamster.

strokes1251

Practically Family
I'm addicted to getting all my higher end branded jackets on ebay! I just pulled the trigger on a vanson I lost earlier in the year and yet another CHP jacket. Did anyone else see that aero on the US ebay for $250 buy it now? I'm so mad the guy who bought before I could has it listed at $450 now grrr >:eek:

BigHairyFinn

One of the Regulars
I wonder, at what point in history did the garment industry shift from having tags that refer to the garment's measurements to having tags that refer to the person's measurements?

Could it be the same phenomenon that people got fatter but selling them a bigger size was rude? I mean thats whats happening with the fits, they become more "ample".

Ebay has its charm, I go onto the "different country" ebays as theres sometimes stuff there you like but the locals apparently don't. Sizing is the challenge though. OK, if you're happy and "know your size" and then get into buying a "global" item you end up with either a tent or a dogwarmer. Like I know I am XXL and XXl is 50 which is 60. Or so you think, as in UK XXL is 46-48 and the Italian sells US 50 as 56-58 IT. Then you decide to find a size 11 1/2 shoe... which should be a 46 or then not, and if you buy a Spanish 46 or an Adidas its a size too tight...

Well, whats the slot machines got me. Scored a few "keepers". A 70's dark red brown "fight club" style original coat with square-ish buttons, a thick heavy reefer/peacoat by Eddie Bauer ... an Avirex and Cooper A2's. Alas, my favorite "stuka" jacket is lost in transit packed in a box somewhere, so I've been trying to score something similar... I usually won't go silly... (famous last words).

Scored a wicked punk motorbike jacket but something in the sizing is off... anyone interested in a 46-48-ish "Damen" with clowns in the lining and studs?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dashone