Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather scent restoration

Desert Fox

New in Town
:confused: I recently purchased a cool vintage Sears Hercules horsehide civilian A-2. I love this jacket but the leather has an unpleasant chemical smell. I've tried a good quality saddle soap and I've tried Picard's antique leather restoration but the smell continues. Has anyone had a similar problem, and if so, how did you resolve it? I will be greatful for any suggestions.

Thanks,
Desert Fox

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
First things first

Welcome to The Fedora Lounge, Desert Fox.

You've already done the two things I would have suggested; cleaning and gooping with Picard's. Your best bet may be to hang it, uncovered, in the garage for a few weeks and see if the odor gasses off in time. You might try bagging it up with some activated charcoal as well.

Does it seem to be in the leather itself or the lining?

Baggers

Practically Family
If the weather's good (central coast? When is it not good?), how about hanging it outdoors for a while? A little sunlight and fresh air circulating around it might help the process even more than hanging it up in the garage.

Just make sure you hang it someplace where it won't get bird-bombed or small critters can't get at it.

Cheers!

IndyBlues

New in Town
Contact Rick5150. He makes a homemade leather rub, that restores the leather smell. I have a bottle and it is amazing.
'Blues

Desert Fox

New in Town
Thanks for all the warm welcome and all the good suggestions. I'll try airing it out first, than the charcoal ( that worked once to remove moth ball scent from a shirt). If those don't work I'll try Rick. The smell is definitely in the leather. I hand cleaned the lining myself.

Thanks,
Desert Fox

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the Lounge DF, from a fellow Central Coaster. I think we would love to see some pic of the jacket as well. Hope the airing out helps. Along with the airing out you may try spritzing the inside with a little Fabreeze to get things started down the fresh smelling path.

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24