Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

leather type 3 options

joezam713

One of the Regulars
Gentlemen,
I've been considering a type 3 in badalassi from Aero Leathers; however, I am wondering, is the pattern slim in the arms and waist? Would you say Aero Leathers is an ideal choice for a type 3 in leather or what other options would you recommend?

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Aero’s leather Type III is excellent because it’s an exact reproduction of the original Levi’s model, developed in collaboration.

Vanson and Schott make great ones (the Maverick and 121, respectively) too. My Schott Type III would be my most worn jacket if not for the fact that I got it a size too big.

The Schott and Aero are pretty much exactly like the denim version, as design and buttons go, except the Aero lacks handwarmer pockets and the Schott has them (though you can’t see them in wear). The Schott is only available in black, whereas the Aero will be available in whichever color you pick.

The Vanson has snap buttons, which look plainer but are much easier to get on and off than the donut buttons.

Psant25

One Too Many
I had an aero type iii in seal (brown) vicenza with hand warmer pockets that was really nice. Great pattern imo and i was glad for that pattern i picked the vic HH

Blackadder

I think the Aero ones is based on a late 60s to 70s Levi's style with big pointy collar. The 70s style is also a longer and slimmer cut. I doubt it is a 50s cut/style as advertised by Aero.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
the bottom opening is 4” smaller than the chest circumference. Size 42 is 22“ P2P. The upper sleeves feels bigger because the way the pattern is cut but it tapers. A Badalassi Aero Type3 is a good choice. Theres a video on YouTube about one.

Attachments

• IMG_1517.jpeg
    IMG_1517.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1516.jpeg
    IMG_1516.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1515.jpeg
    IMG_1515.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1514.jpeg
    IMG_1514.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1513.jpeg
    IMG_1513.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 61
Last edited:

joezam713

One of the Regulars
the bottom opening is 4” smaller than the chest circumference. Size 42 is 22“ P2P. The upper sleeves feels bigger because the way the pattern is cut but it tapers. A Badalassi Aero Type3 is a good choice. Theres a video on YouTube about one.

Thanks. This video was helpful. The jacket in this particular video looks rather baggy, but I’ve also see some examples of slimmer ones by aero

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Thanks. This video was helpful. The jacket in this particular video looks rather baggy, but I’ve also see some examples of slimmer ones by aero
The shoulder are wide on the Aero type 3, so in theory you could downsize to get a slimmer fit in the sleeves. But remember to add length. The stock one isn’t long to begin with. But if it’s the square shoulder slim sleeves fit type 3 you’re looking for then the Aero isn’t it.

Aloysius

I would not consider a 22” pit-to-pit size 42 to be baggy by any means. It’s just the way the guy chose to size it.

Psant25

One Too Many
I think mine I sold was a size 40 had a quite trim body and waist ended up being too small. Normally wear a “42” whatever that means lol

Mandarin

Practically Family
I tried a few Type 3 leather truckers. Sold the Schott because it was way too long and wide in the hips. Of the ones I kept (Vanson, Lee, SB, Gap), the Aero is by far my favorite. It is slightly boxy, the arms are not slim, but to me, the fit is close to perfect.

Trucker Fit pics-1-22.jpg

Mickiemac

One of the Regulars
Another option would be Vicenza HH for an Aero T3 - I have two (Navy & Natural) - really nice hides that break in quickly. My navy one is a grain monster the natural one less so.

I've attached some images for reference - I got the Navy one on 9/22 and the natural one on 5/23. No fit pics as the jackets don't fit nearly as well as Mandarin up thread. I can't say enough about how much I like these Type 3 jackets and if you have one then you know - if you don't - why wait!

Attachments

• tan-t31.jpg
    tan-t31.jpg
    689.5 KB · Views: 68
  • tan-t3b.jpg
    tan-t3b.jpg
    824.8 KB · Views: 80
  • navy-t31.jpg
    navy-t31.jpg
    763.3 KB · Views: 73
  • navy-t3b.jpg
    navy-t3b.jpg
    842.1 KB · Views: 81

joezam713

One of the Regulars
Another option would be Vicenza HH for an Aero T3 - I have two (Navy & Natural) - really nice hides that break in quickly. My navy one is a grain monster the natural one less so.

I've attached some images for reference - I got the Navy one on 9/22 and the natural one on 5/23. No fit pics as the jackets don't fit nearly as well as Mandarin up thread. I can't say enough about how much I like these Type 3 jackets and if you have one then you know - if you don't - why wait!
Thank you. That natural vicenza is tempting for sure

Edward

Bartender
I tried a few Type 3 leather truckers. Sold the Schott because it was way too long and wide in the hips. Of the ones I kept (Vanson, Lee, SB, Gap), the Aero is by far my favorite. It is slightly boxy, the arms are not slim, but to me, the fit is close to perfect.

View attachment 577809

I've noticed that in other Schott models too. My 618 is neat on the shoulders, but works fine on the waist as there's no particular taper to it (c/f to an Aero MC jacket I bought used which never did up at the waist as it retains the original 1940s very marked chest to waist drop - in a size 42, it had a narrower waist than a size 42 30s Slim Halfbelt).

Fit on this looks great - I wouldn't want slimmer sleeves than that, myself.

I love the navy best of all in this design because of how it plays with what the mind expects when the eye first sees this design in blue, then subverts it by being leather and not textile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner