Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather vs. Gore-Tex - Style vs. Function?

Creeping Past

One Too Many
"A compromise is some water resistant shell with microfiber fleece, which insulates better than traditional sweaters, and dries faster when wet. These also fit better under a leather jacket than do bulky sweaters."

Shetland wool, or merino, are light and warm. These days I wear a Shetland sweater in preference to a fleece. It's not at all bulky (Shetland wool is very light) and, best of all, it doesn't accumulate fleece-stink. You can wear wool a lot longer without feeling like you have to avoid human company.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
One thing I learned early is in cold weather, an un-insulated leather jacket is one of the worst things I could wear. Leather gets cold and then becomes a very efficient heat sink, pulling warmth out of the body.

Now, leather with good insulation - or a heavy sweater under it - is another matter. In that situation, the leather is a good windbreaker and you depend on whatever you have under it as insulation. Results can range from barely acceptable to very darn good.

However - if you're out in rain, then leather is a liability. You don't want to get it completely soaked, which is likely to damage it - and it gets heavy as it retains moisture. Also, leather is still a potential heat sink for your body once it gets cold.

For the really cold or rainy weather, my experience has been that modern coats incorporating Gore-Tex and modern types of insulation such as fleece are effective, more comfortable, and I worry less about damaging them. I don't care whether they're made out of unobtanium, plastic, old milk bottles or whatever - I care about results. If the coat or jacket is ugly, I simply don't buy it in the first place.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
My most challenging weather days involve a motorcycle.

I have a couple of fabric jackets and a few leathers. They all keep me warm, but the fabrics (Dainese and Fieldsheer) do it better while being lighter, as well.

The difference is more apparent when there's windblast. Cordura nylon is pretty much windproof. Leather is more variable, mostly dependent on thickness and how well the jacket is made. Also, the cordura, no matter how cold the temperature is, never gets cold to the touch. Leather gets very cold. Someone mentioned leather being a heat sink (sp?).

As for water resistance/proofness, when theres a chance of rain, I carry a rubberized rainsuit. That beats pretty much anything - leather or any type of nylon. I like being dry when I get to where Im going.

However, if its above freezing and little to no chance of rain, I don my Pro-Rider or Icon leather. The corduras are usually only for more extreme weather.

1911 Man

A-List Customer
Bringing up motorcycles brings us back to abrasion resistance. I've ridden motorcycles for over 20 years, and the first thing my old man (also an avid rider) told me about riding motor bikes as a youngster was, "It's not if you go down, it's when. Wear protective clothing." Leather is very protective against road rash. I understand new bike jackets are being manufactured out of kevlar, but I haven't looked into those much, I prefer the leather. I just don't ride when it's extremely cold or wet.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I've been riding my own bikes for 27 years, and 35 total. I ride all year in the NY metro area, except when theres actually snow on the ground. Yes, nothing beats leather for abrasion resistance.

Today's cordura jackets, as well as leathers, come with various types of armour. Nothing like like a little hard plastic on yer elbows, shoulders and back to thwart banged up bones. And it works. I, unfortunately, speak from experience. :eusa_doh:

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I certainly won't argue the aesthetics of leather vs. cordura or any of the synthetics - it's no contest! Leather is a level above the other options.

When it comes to motorcycles, that's a special circumstance. You have the wind blast and heat transfer, but you also have the need to avoid outerwear that will balloon and create wind drag, plus you have the superior abrasion resistant qualities of leather if you should happen to lay it down.

Fenton

Familiar Face
Pilgrim said:
I certainly won't argue the aesthetics of leather vs. cordura or any of the synthetics - it's no contest! Leather is a level above the other options.

When it comes to motorcycles, that's a special circumstance. You have the wind blast and heat transfer, but you also have the need to avoid outerwear that will balloon and create wind drag, plus you have the superior abrasion resistant qualities of leather if you should happen to lay it down.

I totally agree! IMO leather garments are more stylish than any of the above mentioned synthetics. I also value leather for its durability ... probably one reason why leather jacktes are the first choice of police forces around the world.

Okay, if it comes to hiking and spending extended periods of time in harsher conditions I'd also opt for modern synthetics ... though, as mentioned, I haven't been convinced by the so called top-quality jackets I've bought - which btw were quite expensive.

matei

One Too Many
When I was in the Army, I had one of those Gore-Tex jackets that replaced the M65 field jacket. I didn't like it at all, it didn't keep me particularly warm - even with the detachable liner.

GHQ1

One of the Regulars
Yeah . . .that . .!

Tomasso said:
He was referring to military surplus goods, which can be shoddily made.

What I really meant was the European attention to detail . . . .and when I say Europe I also mean the UK . . . . Most of the US stuff may/may not be shoddy . . .but it's certainly not innovative . . . . I only have one US made article of mil clothing -- the M65 OG 107 cargo over-trousers . . . Part of it is that I see it everywhere so it's boring . .part of it is that it's not well made . . .and part of it is that I like the extra details of 1960's-90's Commonwealth and Euro stuff:

Stuff like pen pockets, triple stitching, elbow reinforcements, poacher's pocket, arm pockets, slotted buttons, liners, inner pocket dividers for mags, better fabrics, better camo . . .

so British Denison smocks, Soldier 95 ripstop smocks, & SASS multi pocket versions, Swedish M69 M90, Danish OD, Canadian flight gear (Type 3 and 4 flight jackets are sweet!), German/Austrian, Belgian etc . . . all great . . mais bien sur . .even the French M47 is a great bush jacket . . .

The 1970's vintage Danish OD jacket is interesting --- triple stitching on all seams, elbow reinforcements, inner poacher's pocket . .and inside the layers on the upper torso (front and back) is a cotton netting mesh for padding, heat retention and if wetted then fast drying . . .really ingenious . . .

The Swedish and German/Austrian wool cargo trousers are beautifully made . . . and for the money rival Filson's stuff . . . For lighter wool the CDN tactical helicopter set (shirt and pants) is 65 wool/35 poly and wears like iron . . . (in durability - not weight)

I was never of fan of the Swiss cotton alpenflage stuff . . . esp in the Seattle climate . .because the twill they use soaks water like a sponge . . . But you can't beat the grey/green Swiss denim shirts . .unissued for $5-10 . . .TSG has a 6 pack for $25 . . . .but the L is too small for me . . .and if that helps anyone out . . .I'm a large 42-44 in most items and the TSG "large" surplus items always seem too small for me . . .

So that's it . . .Wasn't trying to disparage any country's military goods . . .and if faced with a choice between US military clothing and the Commonwealth/European anologue . . .then I'd always go non-US . . .

Pilgrim said:
One thing I learned early is in cold weather, an un-insulated leather jacket is one of the worst things I could wear. Leather gets cold and then becomes a very efficient heat sink, pulling warmth out of the body.

Tell that to Kurt Russell as RJ MacReady in The Thing -- he rocked a leather jacket and cotton hoodie in sub-zero weather . . .while everyone else had long parkas . . . . . Yet he was the chopper pilot after all . . . :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn