Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Less-than-Informal Dress: How Do You Put it Together?

Dick Ireland

Familiar Face
Gents,

I have reached a good stopping point in my informal wardrobe, where I have enough suits (vintage inspired) for the workweek, plus a few extra for variety, a few nice felt fedoras, a straw fedora, and a good trenchcoat. I'm all set for work, church, or a nice outing with my wife. I always feel good and at ease dressed like that.

But it's not always appropriate and when I'm in between workwear (also a favorite of mine, if not much worn in these desk job days) and informal wear, I feel out of my element. It's an odd middle place.

I've got a couple of sportcoats (brown and middle blue) and a collection of grey, brown, and khaki trousers that I have accumulated over the years, plus some bolder button-down shirts and conservative sweaters, and two 8-part caps, one wool, one linen.

How do you put together casual looks that are still neat and sort of vintage-looking? I have no eye for colors or patterns, so I just learn the rules and imitate the well-dressed of yesteryear. Advice needed. Thanks.

-Dick

Pinesiw

A-List Customer
Depending on the weather i'd wear anything from a henley shirt, button down, and trousers, to an old work type suit and or wool coat. Any type of hat is suited to all outfits.
6ce39fe0c2b4c0fdebbbb398ad40f1a5.jpg

8b32a93a02bf37c20fbc143e211fad51.jpg

67171af15bd9d02757bc4426c47b5fa6.jpg

A couple examples of wat I throw together for everyday wear

I prefer something from the 1950's TV dad category, myself.

douglas_steve7d.jpg

Open collar shirt, cardigan, slacks or jeans, and typically my pipe and slippers are all my non-work/non-formal attire.

Chores, I wear old flannel shirts, jeans, and work boots, usually.

I'm not sure if that's what you're after. I had a bit of a struggle with the question at hand.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like pinesiws look but it's already in the "workwear" category. I think the opening post meant something else?
I was thinking more in the lines of: Grey flannels, a knit vest (or cardigan), a soft cotton shirt and a tweed sportscoat. (for fall and winter)
Everything a bit softer and more textures and pattern thrown together. It looks like you might have most of the items. I am afraid we can't tell how to mix and match them without pictures.
Read the putting it all together thread.

Dick Ireland

Familiar Face
Pinesiws, I often dress like your first pic when I'm doing chores or running errands in the summer. It's a good look but I consider it "workwear" and I trying to figure out what's a little more elegant but not informal.

Dick Ireland

Familiar Face
Haha, Tom I think you've hit upon it exactly. 50s Dad, huh? I think that's how I come off when I try this level of casualness, but I hadn't thought about it that way.

I know we didn't have television to give us a stereotype then, but any idea what a "30s Dad" would look like?

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
You mean formal, not informal, don't you? You're looking for a casual look in between formal and work wear, right? I think Flo's suggestions fit the bill. Or pair grey flannels or tweed trousers with tie/neckerchief and shirt and a nice leather jacket or 30s/40s style blouson.

I don't imagine that the looks were all that different. Fashions didn't change so quickly and drastically. Perhaps the cut of the clothes was different, and a tie would be more commonplace than an open-collar shirt.

The 'Old Man' from 'A Christmas Story' comes to mind (I believe that movie was intended to take place in 1940?)

Old-Man-Admiring-Major-Award.jpg

Haha, Tom I think you've hit upon it exactly. 50s Dad, huh? I think that's how I come off when I try this level of casualness, but I hadn't thought about it that way.

I know we didn't have television to give us a stereotype then, but any idea what a "30s Dad" would look like?

Dick Ireland

Familiar Face
You mean formal, not informal, don't you? You're looking for a casual look in between formal and work wear, right?

I don't own any formalwear. I mean between your 2- or 3-piece suit with fedora, and workwear.

I think Flo's suggestions fit the bill. Or pair grey flannels or tweed trousers with tie/neckerchief and shirt and a nice leather jacket or 30s/40s style blouson.

I think that's where I'm going.

Question for ya'll: in the spring and fall when you can't wear a sportcoat over your sweater, would you opt for the sweater always, the sportcoat always, or one or the other depending on the day?

DavidBowie

Banned
I also was very worried about my informal wears.. Then I got an idea of winter wear formal as well as informal.. Then I search to shop online for woolen overcoats which gives both formal and casual look at the same time. :eusa_clap

filfoster

One Too Many
I don't own any formalwear. I mean between your 2- or 3-piece suit with fedora, and workwear.

I think that's where I'm going.

Question for ya'll: in the spring and fall when you can't wear a sportcoat over your sweater, would you opt for the sweater always, the sportcoat always, or one or the other depending on the day?[/QUOTE]

Yes; You can also wear a bow tie occasionally for a 'go to hell' look. Please wear a narrow profile one or a batwing, instead of those monstrous 'butterfly' things popular now.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Question for ya'll: in the spring and fall when you can't wear a sportcoat over your sweater, would you opt for the sweater always, the sportcoat always, or one or the other depending on the day?[/QUOTE]

I think a sweater is definitely more casual than a sports coat. But the type of sweater also affects the level of casualness. My preference these days is shawl neck cardigans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk