Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets see your Balloon Tire Bikes

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
next is an all aluminium 'mecadural' built just post war in an old aircraft factory;
121g3yf.jpg
rsrk37.jpg

2egfgix.jpg
awtkq1.jpg

1gj5at.jpg

munimula

New in Town
1937 silver king flo-cycle and 1936 silver king m1 deluxe bicycles

duralium(aluminum) frames and stainless steel fenders - a different design from the typical painted balloon tire bike of the 1930's.

Giftmacher

One Too Many
What's the english word for faltreifen? I presume it's not same as balloon tires. Balloon tires are made only with wire? Here's an example of the "faltreifen" of size 28x1½.
In Europe it was mostly manufactured in the prewar era and after the war came mentioned wire tires and their production has taken a back seat.

plast-28x1,5-falc-bily-02.jpg

ReverbDave

New in Town
IMG_2545_zpsd04bf615.jpg

I found this 1956 Columbia at a yard sale for $55.00 two weeks ago. I don't really know too much about vintage bikes, but I thought it was cool. I had to put new tires and a chain on it. Nice to see your great bikes.

Last edited:

ferryengr

One of the Regulars
Two modern interpretations of vintage balloon tire bikes

Both bikes are new, modern interpretations of vintage balloon tire bikes. Manufactured by Retrovelo in Germany. I consider myself a member of a small subset of cyclists in the US that have rejected lycra attire and racing style bikes for more civilized bicycle transportation. The "old fashion" balloon tired bike evolved over many decades and is still an excellent solution for those looking at healthy transportation or exercise options.

The khaki color bike is more traditional in geometry and appearance. Tires are modern Schwalbe "Fat Franks" (26" x 2.35"), very puncture proof and they roll great on bumpy, chuck hole infested, city streets.

The red bike is a little sportier and is a German interpretation of a late 1970's Marin County mountain bike (a la Mt. Tams). It too rolls on Fat Franks. Both bikes have steel frames and sport modern brakes and internal gear hubs.

Both bikes feature traditional Brooks B67, sprung, leather saddles - which are awesomely comfortable.

Attachments

• Alfons 11 LR.jpg
    Alfons 11 LR.jpg
    760.1 KB · Views: 1,252
  • DSCF2132.jpg
    DSCF2132.jpg
    791.4 KB · Views: 1,226

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
"Spirit of '37
vo7hnn.png

The bike came standard.
I added wider chrome fenders & bolted a brass eagle ornament
to the front fender.
Installed dual front springs for greater stability & the ride is
twice as comfortable.
Replaced standard black-wall tires with larger size balloon tires.
Heavy-duty black wheels.
E.A. pancake horn. (working)
Pending: Front head-light & rear tail-lights.

I would describe all this as “Columbia blinging” 30s style !

snz9n8.jpg

Last edited:

Spudman

One of the Regulars
ZIPP front wheel, now that's pretty wild.
Good eye! I've got one on the back now too. I got them both used since I don't think they make a 650c wheel anymore and I couldn't afford new ones anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Retromoto

One of the Regulars
Hi all, I hope I'm not duplicating a previous thread. Balloon tire bicycles represent the golden age of bicycles, and they were most prevalent between 1933 and the late 1950s. A number of balloon tire retro cruiser models are still made today. What's a balloon tire some may ask? One with a width of more than two inches, such as the 26" x 2.125" found on most adult size ballooners. I've posted some photos on another thread, but I'll post them here again so you don't have to search. Below are a few from my collection.

ColumbiaF9T41.jpg

This is a reissue of the 1941 Columbia F9T "Superb" Dashboard Bike.

jy18_022.jpg

This is a 1936 Elgin I restored last year.

my30004.jpg

This is a 1946 or '47 JC Higgins I restored and subsequently sold to a friend.

ap25_002.jpg

This is a Roadmaster of indeterminate year. It's a real "mutt" of a bike, with many non standard parts, many from other makes.
-Chris

Nice bike collection, I rode a mid-sized tire, Schwinn Tornado although my brother rode a "Cadillac" balloon tired bike. It was a tanker with the rear rack and horn button in the tank. Rode very smoothly although in a hi-speed challenge was usually surpassed by the slightly lighter Tornado. It's my guess GM might question the use of the "Cadillac" name in today's times. This was back in the early 1960's. Thanks for sharing. BTW, that 36 Elgin really speaks to me....
Retromoto

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Thank goodness for the 'front page' of this site or I would never have known this thread existed. I'm surprised but delighted and happy to see guys restoring old bicycles. Much more interesting than restoring yet another 60s Mustang...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider