Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Vintage Inspired Office!

This morning I made the road trip! There and back in 4 1/2 hours.... and now I have a more vintage style home office... lots of dings and marks... shabby chic and full of character... sadly no maker marks anywhere to be found :(

Those dings and whatnot are honest wear and only make your office all the more authentic.

I don’t object to my swag showing signs of having done what it was made to do. I actually prefer it, in some ways. I find it easier to live with things that aren’t too darned precious. And I know I won’t be the first one to put a ding in it.

Your money was well spent. The desk is in the right hands now.

Edward Reed

A-List Customer
Those dings and whatnot are honest wear and only make your office all the more authentic.

I don’t object to my swag showing signs of having done what it was made to do. I actually prefer it, in some ways. I find it easier to live with things that aren’t too darned precious. And I know I won’t be the first one to put a ding in it.

Your money was well spent. The desk is in the right hands now.
thanks! ... and agreed. I tend to collect things to use as their intended purpose. I get more enjoyment out of them that way. mint in the box doesn't do much for me. I have items I won't use and just keep on display but not many. I use my old 40s coffee mugs! :D

thanks! ... and agreed. I tend to collect things to use as their intended purpose. I get more enjoyment out of them that way. mint in the box doesn't do much for me. I have items I won't use and just keep on display but not many. I use my old 40s coffee mugs! :D

Remember that TV ad for esurance by Allstate featuring the actor Dennis Quaid wherein he picks up an apple from a bowl and a crew member tells him it’s a prop apple just as he’s about to take a bite?

“Collectible” stuff that never gets used is a prop apple. Whatever enjoyment a person might get from gazing at a toy still in its original packaging or a book that’s never been cracked open can’t approach what that toy or that book has to offer.

I can see how a person might get a great deal of enjoyment from the money he or she might get on selling that never-been-used Barbie doll, say, to some nut of a collector. But dang, people, it’s just a toy!

Tulip bulbs come to mind.

Edward Reed

A-List Customer
Remember that TV ad for esurance by Allstate featuring the actor Dennis Quaid wherein he picks up an apple from a bowl and a crew member tells him it’s a prop apple just as he’s about to take a bite?

“Collectible” stuff that never gets used is a prop apple. Whatever enjoyment a person might get from gazing at a toy still in its original packaging or a book that’s never been cracked open can’t approach what that toy or that book has to offer.

I can see how a person might get a great deal of enjoyment from the money he or she might get on selling that never-been-used Barbie doll, say, to some nut of a collector. But dang, people, it’s just a toy!

Tulip bulbs come to mind.
I whole heartedly agree! I don't collect items for any kind of investment. I will be lucky to ever get my money back but most likely will take a loss. (some may be difficult to resell... diminishing interests with today's kids) I have no problem with that as I buy certain items because I like them and have an interest in having them as a part of my man cave vintage decor and if it is something I can carefully use I will do so. I have a couple of items that may go up in value but I always purchase only knowing I may never actually make a profit. I prefer my items to be a bit shabby chic with some usage marks and wear. I feel much less guilty using said vintage item! :D

^^^^^
I happen to have one pencil remaining from the box of the things a then-elderly (and long-since deceased) friend gave me about 30 years ago. It’s not a pencil so much anymore as a totem. When I’m gone it’ll get tossed out, I imagine. Sentimental value is rarely transferable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner