Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Vintage Inspired Office!

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Some inspiration for me!

def98da8.jpg

anon`

One Too Many
Doran said:
The little green books are Loeb Editions of ancient Greek authors. Each page that you open has the text in ancient Greek on the left hand page, and then a reasonably good, usually pretty straight translation into English on the right.
Ah, s---! Just when I don't need to be spending money hand over fist!

schwaiger

New in Town
My office

Here's my office. It's accidentally vintage. About six hundred bucks (and a lot of patience) on Craigslist. Solid oak desk, mahogany captain's chair, vintage leather club chair, Tiffany lamp. The Salvatella briarwood pipe is my daily smoker. The desk, of course, is normally covered in mountains of things I should have done yesterday. Thought I'd better shine it up a bit for the picture.

14y4az5.jpg

WH1

Practically Family
schwaiger said:
Here's my office. It's accidentally vintage. About six hundred bucks (and a lot of patience) on Craigslist. Solid oak desk, mahogany captain's chair, vintage leather club chair, Tiffany lamp. The Salvatella briarwood pipe is my daily smoker. The desk, of course, is normally covered in mountains of things I should have done yesterday. Thought I'd better shine it up a bit for the picture.

14y4az5.jpg

Wow great office, really like the club chair and the lamp. Welcome to the Lounge BTW, glad to have you aboard.
Todd

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
Since I'm fully retired now, I don't have a real office anymore. Nevertheless, this is how I organized my work area where I build large scale automotive and aviation replicas. It keeps me from wandering around the neighborhood. At least my wife always knows where I am if I'm not in bed at 2 AM.

pg-b.jpg

pg-a.jpg

pg-c.jpg

pg-d.jpg

DSC00663.jpg

Atomic

One of the Regulars
Silver Dollar said:
Since I'm fully retired now, I don't have a real office anymore. Nevertheless, this is how I organized my work area where I build large scale automotive and aviation replicas. It keeps me from wandering around the neighborhood. At least my wife always knows where I am if I'm not in bed at 2 AM. [/IMG]

Man, I'm jealous of your workspace! I'm slowly trying to collect big tools and machinery for building motorcycles and your space looks fantastic!

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Alas, my home office is no more. My wife used her eminent domain powers to create a play room for the girls.

My desk has temporarily taken up refuge in the parlor:

97c95ca7.jpg

After some reshuffling, I may end up with a ground-floor office in what's currently our den.

-Dave

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
David Conwill said:
Alas, my home office is no more. My wife used her eminent domain powers to create a play room for the girls.

After some reshuffling, I may end up with a ground-floor office in what's currently our den.

-Dave

If your living room gets as little use as most, it would be better served as an office anyway.

Last time we went house hunting, our plan was not to have a living room, which we considered a waste. I was going to build floor-to-ceiling bookcases in the living room, and we were to buy furniture to give it the formal library look. I was to basically be my office, with a fall front secretary desk, but with enough nice chairs and a nice enough look to use it for entertaining if we wanted to.

The house we ended up buying had built-in bookcases in the family room and a previous owner cut a passage between the living room and family room -- in essence making it one large room. Now it has a nice computer cabinet, our piano, and some living room furniture.

I've always had a desire for an office/library that is on the main floor and isn't a converted bedroom.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
David Conwill said:

97c95ca7.jpg

-Dave

I LOVE your vintage cat! :)

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I recently acquired my grandfather's file safe, which had been stored in my parents' garage. It's too dark to take a picture, but it looks essentially like this, but in a bluer green.

Metal plaques affixed to the front and rear say "Protection Account Register" and inform me that my safe was patented April 24, 1923, and manufactured by the Protection Account Register Co. of Detroit, Michigan.

Anybody know about these? What were they originally used for? How are they used?

-Dave

4crumleys

New in Town
I need your help

Hey guys,,
Starting my retro office, My first piece is an old typewriter desk. Solid oak, double pedestal. It has the typewriter concealed int he left pedestal that springs up when pulled. The desk is in great shape, no scratches and looks brand new. My questions is how would you modify this spring mechanism for modern use? I cant fit my computer into this space because of the height of my computer. Any suggestions?
What would be the next item you purchased to help move toward the 40's. I was thinking about a retro phone with a bluetooth connector so I could connect my cell phone into the system.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
David Conwill said:
I recently acquired my grandfather's file safe, which had been stored in my parents' garage. It's too dark to take a picture, but it looks essentially like this, but in a bluer green.

Metal plaques affixed to the front and rear say "Protection Account Register" and inform me that my safe was patented April 24, 1923, and manufactured by the Protection Account Register Co. of Detroit, Michigan.

Anybody know about these? What were they originally used for? How are they used?

-Dave

We had one very much like that at the family gas station when I was little -- ours was a McCaskey, but they're all the same basic idea. It's a filing system for storing charge account information -- you'd file the credit slips in the slots and have them within easy reach for billing. The lock kept tamperers out, and it was fireproof so if the building went up you'd still know who owed you money.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Its not an office, just my writing desk at home, I took my Powerbook off to show it in all its glory.

Screenshot2010-07-23at33707PM.png

And here's me in it:

Screenshot2010-07-23at33656PM.png

Oh, that's my "new" radio up top, just received it in the mail yesterday, works like a champ.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Mr Vim said:
Screenshot2010-07-23at33707PM.png

And here's me in it:

Screenshot2010-07-23at33656PM.png

Oh, that's my "new" radio up top, just received it in the mail yesterday, works like a champ.

Awesome looking desk Mr. Vim! What kind of vintage radio is that? Did you find it on ebay?

Which fedora is in those pics? I like that one!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot