Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Vintage Inspired Office!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
To be lashed to a Beige (grey, black blah) box like that.
Rather like forcing Audrey Hepburn to wear orange baggy gym shorts and a wife beater....

And good god man, clean up your desktop. :)

My PC is actually Black, with a big Apple sticker on it.
It's sitting next to my hibernating G4.
And at least but, I did build the PC myself...

Lotsa stuff on the desktop is the way I work-

B
T

JW

New in Town
I have to get one of these for my office. A 1939 Western Electric 302 Rotary Dial Phone, or something similar from that time period.

Does anyone have one that is operational? How does it sound?

phone19398pj.jpg

Here it is on Ebay

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
MK has a vintage looking phone like that in his office that works...I love the look of them, but it's the rotary dialing that gets me frustrated...takes too long [huh] :rolleyes:

JW

New in Town
mysterygal said:
MK has a vintage looking phone like that in his office that works...I love the look of them, but it's the rotary dialing that gets me frustrated...takes too long [huh] :rolleyes:

I only dial out on a cell... the home phone is for incoming calls only. Perfect for the cumbersome old rotary dial ;)

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Let me look around... 1, 2, 3, 4 ,5. Five 302s, all metal bodies, 2 from 1937, two from 1938 and 1 from 1946. They sound fine, so far. I love the ringer bells, and I love dialing (212) PEnnsylvania 6-5000 on the old clickity-clack dial. :)

(Well, the #5 dials clickety-clack a bit, not as much as the #4 :) )

Hey, MK, is that a North Electric "Galion"?

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Heh, I only have 2 202s. Unless you want to lay out the long green at a place like this: http://oldtimephones.com/pages/1/index.htm the best way I can see to get one is to hunt down a few reasonably priced unrestored examples from eBay and take the best from each.

They're rugged and pretty easy to work with, if one has reasonable mechanical skills. I'd leave dial restoration to the experts, though. Here's one: http://navysalvage.com/dialrepair.html

The "restored" phones on eBay seem to go for crazy money, and some of them are so glossily "over-restored" that they almost look like toys.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
It's not for purists

and I know it's not that accurate, materials and styling-wise, but I love my Pottery Barn phone. The touch tone dialing makes it much easier to use, and it has the hook flash and redial. It's a nice compromise between style and functionality and looks good on the phone stand. That way I can hide the cordless phones in less obvious spots, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy