Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lewis Leathers Dominator No 551

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I can't function without 2 inner pockets, one for mobile phone one for wallet, they should be standard feature and not an upgrade
:eek: how come it is so expensive? just cut a slit, thin leather trims (might even from different hide), and pocket lining/ bag, that's all...

coolruehl

New in Town
I can't function without 2 inner pockets, one for mobile phone one for wallet, they should be standard feature and not an upgrade
:eek: how come it is so expensive? just cut a slit, thin leather trims (might even from different hide), and pocket lining/ bag, that's all...
The information from Lewis Leathers customer service is free~ It is very nice I think.

The expensive cost is from Taiwan dealer...

Edward

Bartender
When I visited the LL store last year, my impression as I handled several cowhide and horsehide jackets is that the overall "feel" was similar in thickness and weight as my MWHH Aero jackets (Vicenza HH Sheene and seal jerky HH Mulligan) - nothing thin or flimsy at all about the leathers used on the Dominator or Corsair, which were the only LL models that piqued my interest. For whatever reason, I preferred the HH over cowhide (slightly different appearance, texture and feel), although I would have been happy with either. Both hides were, as I recall, shiny and not much grain apparent. Just my impressions. Comments?

Any Lewis I've ever handled, including a lot of sixties examples, was very much a smoothe leather with little apparent grain. Not dissimilar to the Schotts I've handled in that regard, though a rather differnet 'feel' to them. Lewis certainly aren't 'heavy' jackets in any form, though not as flimsy now as some of the seventies ones were (I wouldn't buy a Seventies Lewis without feeling it first; QC wasn't what it is now back then).

Justhandguns

Practically Family
The information from Lewis Leathers customer service is free~ It is very nice I think.

The expensive cost is from Taiwan dealer...

You are absolutely correct. There were a few unhappy exchanges between some fellow Lewis buyers in HK with the Taiwan Lewis distributor. That is why this Taiwanese shop is doing very well at the moment.

Benproof

A-List Customer
"For me, the LL patch is a deal breaker."

Don't know if it helps - but Lewis Leathers did a limited edition collaboration with a stealth appearance black zip and black appliques - even the name badge was blacked out. It's more understated and low key.

They are more active on FB now - they confirm that all their current production jackets are done in horsehide as standard - they've moved from cowhide as standard.

I got the cowhide version because this is cowhide sourced from within the UK like Lewis Leathers and their horsehide is sourced from Italy. If I want an Italian jacket, I'd get a Belstaff.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
They are more active on FB now - they confirm that all their current production jackets are done in horsehide as standard - they've moved from cowhide as standard.

I got the cowhide version because this is cowhide sourced from within the UK like Lewis Leathers and their horsehide is sourced from Italy. If I want an Italian jacket, I'd get a Belstaff.

Ah well, maybe cowhide Lewis will become a collector's item?!?

I guess they are really trying to follow the trend here (or maybe Japan). Horsehide as standard? Or was it because of me walking in their shop one day with my horsehide A-2 a while ago? The staff actually asked me to take it off to have a look...... ;)

Benproof

A-List Customer
...even cruddy 1970s Lewis Leather jackets have become collectors' items! I'm not sure I feel comfortable wearing a 50 year old bacteria plaque around me fits within my OCD comfort zone :D

I honestly can't say I prefer horsehide over cowhide. If I had my choice, I'd go for shark hide, but OECD and Greenpeace might have a few words to say about that!

The staff at LL are great, although you can tell they are not from tailoring backgrounds, so when you try on a jacket, you really have to know how to gauge the fit yourself, compared to going to a boutique tailor, who is extremely precise about fit and function. They probably wanted to check the A2 you had wasn't stolen :D

Justhandguns

Practically Family
...even cruddy 1970s Lewis Leather jackets have become collectors' items! I'm not sure I feel comfortable wearing a 50 year old bacteria plaque around me fits within my OCD comfort zone :D

I honestly can't say I prefer horsehide over cowhide. If I had my choice, I'd go for shark hide, but OECD and Greenpeace might have a few words to say about that!

The staff at LL are great, although you can tell they are not from tailoring backgrounds, so when you try on a jacket, you really have to know how to gauge the fit yourself, compared to going to a boutique tailor, who is extremely precise about fit and function. They probably wanted to check the A2 you had wasn't stolen :D

Well, yes, 70s' Lewis, but some jackets from the 80s' before Derek Harris's acquisition were pretty far off from the LL benchmark.
And yes, the usual staff there are certainly don't know anything about tailoring, unless you have Hiro, the head tailor in there. But I don't know whether he is still around or not.

As for shark skins..... you cannot wear them, but you can easily find them!

Real shark skin wasabi grater
wasabi-tools.jpg

coolruehl

New in Town
You are absolutely correct. There were a few unhappy exchanges between some fellow Lewis buyers in HK with the Taiwan Lewis distributor. That is why this Taiwanese shop is doing very well at the moment.
"Taiwanese shop is doing very well at the moment"!?
I was a little confused ...XDDD

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Well, yes, 70s' Lewis, but some jackets from the 80s' before Derek Harris's acquisition were pretty far off from the LL benchmark.
And yes, the usual staff there are certainly don't know anything about tailoring, unless you have Hiro, the head tailor in there. But I don't know whether he is still around or not.

As for shark skins..... you cannot wear them, but you can easily find them!

Real shark skin wasabi grater
wasabi-tools.jpg

I want to say that's stingray!

Benproof

A-List Customer
"And yes, the usual staff there are certainly don't know anything about tailoring, unless you have Hiro, the head tailor in there."
But I don't know whether he is still around or not.

Hiro's not there - mostly the french staff, but I don't hang out there as much as I do the B roads. Maybe Lewis Leathers needs to take over the unused buildings next door and open up a cafe. That would replace the void left after Fridays on Chelsea Bridge closed up:)

Sharkskin is great for gloves - you tried sliding on these at 150mph?! They take a lot of beating.

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A new pattern no extra charge?? They quite a $50 upcharge, & it varies based on overall size, as well as leather choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edward

Bartender
"And yes, the usual staff there are certainly don't know anything about tailoring, unless you have Hiro, the head tailor in there."
But I don't know whether he is still around or not.

Hiro's not there - mostly the french staff, but I don't hang out there as much as I do the B roads. Maybe Lewis Leathers needs to take over the unused buildings next door and open up a cafe. That would replace the void left after Fridays on Chelsea Bridge closed up:)

Sharkskin is great for gloves - you tried sliding on these at 150mph?! They take a lot of beating.

Iyt would be cool to have somewhere like the Ace but more central. There is the Bikeshed on Old Street which kinda fits that role, but isn't so vintage-focused (and I don't think does the live events?)

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
Iyt would be cool to have somewhere like the Ace but more central. There is the Bikeshed on Old Street which kinda fits that role, but isn't so vintage-focused (and I don't think does the live events?)
Full of hipsters drooling over ccm spitfires,,:)

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not sure what you mean...

Sorry, critical typo there..., to make a new pattern, they quoted $50 upcharge, & if the base template is a size 46 upward, it’s more upcharge to make a new pattern

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Sorry, critical typo there..., to make a new pattern, they quoted $50 upcharge, & if the base template is a size 46 upward, it’s more upcharge to make a new pattern

Back then i didn't pay anything extra, the jacket was also £475 rather than the current £840...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran