Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lewis Leathers Dominator No 551

cafeblitz

New in Town
Great looking LL and nice fit too!

And, despite not being mentioned too often here on the Lounge, Lewis has a great reputation in the cafe (motorcycle) scene. They were a serious contender when I was looking for my most recent MC jacket. I ended up going Vanson, but plenty of guys have LLs over here and love them.

Don't forget to post this in HD's favorite mc jacket thread.

coolruehl

New in Town
Nice jacket!!
So can ask LL to omit the chest patch with lewis leathers? and Can have both side inside-pocket?

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Nice jacket!!
So can ask LL to omit the chest patch with lewis leathers? and Can have both side inside-pocket?

Thanks! Unfortunately LL doesn't allow patchless jackets anymore.... And i imagine you could have pockets on both sides, but i am not sure.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I recall well this thread generated by Carlos slightly over two years ago that piqued my interest in the Dominator/Corsair jackets by LL. Yesterday I posted my experience on another LL thread regarding my experience as I visited the LL store while I was in London about six months ago, at which time I was particularly impressed with the LL Dominator and concluded a size 44 with 1.5" to 2" added to the sleeves and 1" to the body length would be a great fit for me. I loved the even cleaner look of the Corsair, although the slash pockets on the Corsair had just enough of a different angle as to not work for me as handwarmers as well as that of the Dominator. I also said it was my impression that LL jackets might be sized a bit on the small size as I normally wear a size 42, which was too tight for me with the Dominator/Corsair jackets.

Carlos, similar to you, when I was your age, I was 6'2" and 190 lbs with a 44" chest and 34" waist but now have a 42" chest and 37" waist. The Law of Entropy states everything in the universe goes from order to disorder, so prepare what is in store for you as you approach my age, assuming you live that long! :D

As a side note, I was also told that LL jackets all come with the LL patch and is not an option to have it omitted. I prefer jackets without any patches that included my USN G-1 that was issued to me in 1967. Anyhow, good to see LL receiving some well deserved traction here.:cool:

Last edited:

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Carlos, similar to you, when I was your age, I was 6'2" and 190 lbs with a 44" chest and 34" waist but now have a 42" chest and 37" waist. The Law of Entropy states everything in the universe goes from order to disorder, so prepare what is in store for you as you approach my age, assuming you live that long! :D

As a side note, I was also told that LL jackets all come with the LL patch and is not an option to have it omitted. I prefer jackets without any patches that included my USN G-1 that was issued to me in 1967. Anyhow, good to see LL receiving some well deserved traction here.:cool:

You know, i actually sometime worry about that! I really hope i never have to sell all my jackets because they don't fit me anymore!

Edward

Bartender
I wonder why LL changed the patch policy. Too many folks leaving them off, possibly. I'm sure the gold on it could be easily removed, though, and they're otherwise inobtrusive. I love the look of the Lightning, but I'd want the original, late 50s configuration. I'd suffer the patch, but I never cared for the asditional zip pocket they added to the left forearm circa 1962. I gather they'll still delete that at least.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
I wonder why LL changed the patch policy. Too many folks leaving them off, possibly. I'm sure the gold on it could be easily removed, though, and they're otherwise inobtrusive. I love the look of the Lightning, but I'd want the original, late 50s configuration. I'd suffer the patch, but I never cared for the asditional zip pocket they added to the left forearm circa 1962. I gather they'll still delete that at least.

Oh, I just realised about the new patch policy. I think it was still an option when I ordered my Lightning a few years ago. But anyhow, the business model is rather different from the rest of the 'repro' makers that we are familiar with over here. I have not problem having the LL patch on the chest anyway as I see it more like a fashion jacket than any other jackets that I own, just like there are loads of people who want to have the Vanson patches all over their jackets. One possible reason for the new brand patch policy is probably because of the increasing number of Lewis imitations (as well as fakes) in Asia, I guess they just want their product to stand out from the rest.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Oh, I just realised about the new patch policy. I think it was still an option when I ordered my Lightning a few years ago. But anyhow, the business model is rather different from the rest of the 'repro' makers that we are familiar with over here. I have not problem having the LL patch on the chest anyway as I see it more like a fashion jacket than any other jackets that I own, just like there are loads of people who want to have the Vanson patches all over their jackets. One possible reason for the new brand patch policy is probably because of the increasing number of Lewis imitations (as well as fakes) in Asia, I guess they just want their product to stand out from the rest.

I could understand Lewis's policy of not deleting their makers patch, but don't worry about the Asians. They would copy it anyway.
They may sell these as bike jackets to enthusiasts but how many 'Rockers' would stud up a brand new £800 jacket anyway? There may be a someone not bothered about studding somewhere but I have never seen one yet. I would think replicating a studded jacket could these days almost double the price of the jacket if you could find the original(brass and chrome plated) centre pierce studs. The last ones I saw were around £10 for 20. I doubt you could spell out BSA for that.

Edward

Bartender
I've seen a few that look newish, though I think we'll see more of the new Mascot jackets as bases for rocker jackets now. I've long fancied one myself, but outside of doing a proper repro of the Tim Curry jacket, I can't imagine spending the big bucks to do that to it either.

Could be the demand from the Japanese market, too. I suspect a big chunk of their sales go to Japan.

kronos77

One of the Regulars
Carlos purchased this a few years back. I understand LL has changed leathers once or twice. They now list a 1.1-1.3 oz cowhide as standard. Anyone have any updated info? I did request a sample, so if they send one, I'll post test results.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Carlos purchased this a few years back. I understand LL has changed leathers once or twice. They now list a 1.1-1.3 oz cowhide as standard. Anyone have any updated info? I did request a sample, so if they send one, I'll post test results.

I'm pretty sure that's not right, 1.1-1.3oz would be less than 0.5mm, that's pretty much paper thin!
It should be 1.1-1.3mm, which is closer to 3 to 3.5oz.

I got a LL Super Monza for my girlfriend recently, and although her leather is a little bit more matte and has a little bit more grain, it is very similar to mine.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/lewis-leathers-super-monza-no-445l-ladies-review.83257/

I think they currently offer their regular cow, which has been their standard since the beginning, sheep, which is very light and more a fashion jacket choice, and more recently, horse.
Personally i was a bit underwhelmed by their horse. I think they decided to add it because many nerds like us asked for it, but i don't think they had a clear idea of what horse people like/want.
What i have seen was very heavily finished, with a very thick painted on top coat, that almost made it look like plastic.
They told me that they were still not set on suppliers for horse hides, so things might change.

coolruehl

New in Town
I just order an 441T from LewisLeathers..

But i still hesitate with the HorseHide or SteerHide..

Actually i more like the SteerHide of LL~ And i agree with your idea "the LL HorsrHide seen was very heavily finished, with a very thick painted on top coat, that almost made it look like plastic"

But friend strong recommended me to try the horsehide, because it is more flexible and lighter, but still very stiff.

And i already have an 551T with SteerHide...

I'm pretty sure that's not right, 1.1-1.3oz would be less than 0.5mm, that's pretty much paper thin!
It should be 1.1-1.3mm, which is closer to 3 to 3.5oz.

I got a LL Super Monza for my girlfriend recently, and although her leather is a little bit more matte and has a little bit more grain, it is very similar to mine.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/lewis-leathers-super-monza-no-445l-ladies-review.83257/

I think they currently offer their regular cow, which has been their standard since the beginning, sheep, which is very light and more a fashion jacket choice, and more recently, horse.
Personally i was a bit underwhelmed by their horse. I think they decided to add it because many nerds like us asked for it, but i don't think they had a clear idea of what horse people like/want.
What i have seen was very heavily finished, with a very thick painted on top coat, that almost made it look like plastic.
They told me that they were still not set on suppliers for horse hides, so things might change.

kronos77

One of the Regulars
Lewis Lethers emailed me and said they don't send out samples. They gave me some details however, on the different leathers they use.

From the email:

"Current hides available to choose from at Lewis Leathers are:

Cowhide - Available only in black, with a thickness of 1.1mm - 1.3mm, sourced in the UK

Horsehide - Available in 9 colours (Black, Navy, Blue, Turquoise, Green, Yellow, Red, Brown, and White), with a thickness of 1.1mm - 1.3mm, sourced in Italy

Vegetable Tanned Sheep Napa - Available in 5 colours (Black, Dark Brown, Light Brown, Navy, and Green, with a thickness of 1.2mm - 1.4mm, sourced in France

Though the sheep leather is on average thicker than our cow and horse, it is softer and does not offer as much protection as our cow or horse, so is more suited to summer riding and casual wear, and for those who want a vintage look with a much shorter 'breaking in' duration.

The cow hide and horsehide both offer high protection and scuff resistance. The cow tends to need less conditioning during the first 4 or 5 years and are remarkably water resistant, however, the breaking in time is longer. Horse hide has a distinct patina and is made up of shorter fibers so develops finer grain and creases while breaking in, favoured by riders who demand both protection and a classic look. Regular conditioning is recommended with horse to encourage the desirable traits and ensure water resistance.

Cow hide is the most popular choice amongst our customers, and is what you have most likely seen when looking at our leather jackets. It is no thinner or less protective than the hides Lewis Leathers have used throughout its history for jackets and professional racing suits (worn by Giaomo Agostini and Mike Hailwood to name but two), but due to modern tanning techniques it is more supple, and will be more comfortable, more water and scuff resistant, and will ultimately last longer.

All our leather garments are made in UK, with each jacket made in London by a single machinist from start to finish."

They also sent some pics along of the different hides. The cow does look fairly thick and not at all flimsy like some have said, but that is just a judgement from the pictures. Good looking stuff for sure.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
When I visited the LL store last year, my impression as I handled several cowhide and horsehide jackets is that the overall "feel" was similar in thickness and weight as my MWHH Aero jackets (Vicenza HH Sheene and seal jerky HH Mulligan) - nothing thin or flimsy at all about the leathers used on the Dominator or Corsair, which were the only LL models that piqued my interest. For whatever reason, I preferred the HH over cowhide (slightly different appearance, texture and feel), although I would have been happy with either. Both hides were, as I recall, shiny and not much grain apparent. Just my impressions. Comments?

coolruehl

New in Town
Anyone have the newest information with the addition cost about the Red-Tartan lining and have the inside pocket?

I just want to double check it. (hope can with letters screenshots:))

The information i get from Lewis Leathers(James) was Red-Tartan for £42 and have the inside pocket is for free~

But the Taiwan dealers "Thurs" told me the addition cost to choose red-tartan is about £90, and to have an inside pocket is about £50.

Taiwan dealers say that if I do this purchase, Lewis leathers will root them extra charge. So consumer should pay this charge. (Total is extra £100)

I was surprised for such different costs.

And I provide the E-mail screenshot from LL to Taiwan dealers "Thurs".

They say that James is new employees of LL , he does not understand the costs..

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran