Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lewis leathers placing custom order online

aero the heritage

New in Town
Hi. I'm new to TFL and also into the leather jacket world. I hope you all have been fine. The way how I been seeing leather jackets before was very shallow; as long as they fit, not too shiny not too matte, genuine leather, it's would be all good under the budget that I had then. I got struck and had whole new concept after I saw true leather jackets like Aero in person, I was enlightened and started having extended view. The fever that probably had been always there inside me, waited to be developed, and hitting 40 of age, finally realizing that if any jacket i invest from now on, I go with timeless classic heritage leather manufacturers been there through multi decades or even century. Started with Schott's double rider, then Aero's dustbowl, now I'm aiming at Lewis leathers. Reading through few threads, I figure after legendary Rip's departure, it doesn't seem like they have regained the customer serive yet especially when it comes to placing custom orders online. I would totally not mind what it says on their website that it would take 32 to 34weeks for me to get the jacket once order will be placed, I just want to make sure that they will get the job done. Wonder any fellow members here in TFL know of how LL have been recently? Thx for checking this thread and would appreciate so much of any comments. Plus, hope you don't mind checking the fit of dustbowl, any criticism will be welcomed. It will help so much on my custom order.

Attachments

• 20230805_121335.jpg
    20230805_121335.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 159

Waiker

New in Town
Placed an order in March. My first ever custom order. Should be delivered next Monday.
An employee from LL named Steve has been extremely friendly and helpful during the entire process. Can't say enough positive things about him. The poor guy has received ALOT of mails from me during this process. Not sure if this was any help to you. But i'm very pleased with the service provided.
Will have to review the jacket itself next week :)

aero the heritage

New in Town
Placed an order in March. My first ever custom order. Should be delivered next Monday.
An employee from LL named Steve has been extremely friendly and helpful during the entire process. Can't say enough positive things about him. The poor guy has received ALOT of mails from me during this process. Not sure if this was any help to you. But i'm very pleased with the service provided.
Will have to review the jacket itself next week :)
It definitely is positive sign that LL hired right person in right department. Since March sounds roughly after 20 weeks or so by next Monday. If you don't mind, can you tell me briefly how the process was after you placed order until finalizing the jacket got confirmed from you? Thank you!

Waiker

New in Town
Yeah I think the lead time was estimated to be around 25 weeks when I ordered.
First you pick the jacket model you want and fill all the paramters like type of leather, colour, size etc (Can't go wrong no matter what options you choose since you will get contacted and have everything double checked). Then you checkout and pay.
After a few days (wait time depends on amount of orders I assume) you will get contacted and asked to measure everything according to their way of measuring if I remember right.
Once you send in your measurements after that initial mail you will recieve a form like the one you can see below :

Order.jpg

Once you approve that, the waiting game begins.

aero the heritage

New in Town
Yeah I think the lead time was estimated to be around 25 weeks when I ordered.
First you pick the jacket model you want and fill all the paramters like type of leather, colour, size etc (Can't go wrong no matter what options you choose since you will get contacted and have everything double checked). Then you checkout and pay.
After a few days (wait time depends on amount of orders I assume) you will get contacted and asked to measure everything according to their way of measuring if I remember right.
Once you send in your measurements after that initial mail you will recieve a form like the one you can see below :

View attachment 537631

Once you approve that, the waiting game begins.
You make me feel very welcome to this great TFL. Super attentive, super supportive! I'm at the point where got all my measurements done, both my own physique and one out of my fav jackets', filled out everything they ask for and all I have to do is placing order. Can't wait to see how awesome your super monza's gonna be!

Waiker

New in Town
You make me feel very welcome to this great TFL. Super attentive, super supportive! I'm at the point where got all my measurements done, both my own physique and one out of my fav jackets', filled out everything they ask for and all I have to do is placing order. Can't wait to see how awesome your super monza's gonna be!

No worries! I'm new here as well and haven't really posted anything useful yet. Seems like you are ready to make an order then :) Comparing to a current nice fitting jacket is a great strategy. I'm currently very nervous regarding my own jacket whether or not it will fit...Guess we'll see next week! I will let you know :)

mvilla

A-List Customer
Heya! Welcome! I haven't ordered from LL themselves, but I have a 551 Dominator, which is my favourite jacket. Its pattern is the best I've ever tried and, honestly, after this one, I wouldn't have any issue trusting LL with my measurements. Anyway, good luck getting your jacket. I'm sure you'll love it.

aero the heritage

New in Town
As of Aug 7th Monday at 9 18am, game's on. We will see how it's gon play out. Imma keep posting as updates follow thru to have this thread as future reference for those who would be planning their jackets from LL.

Shout out to all but especially to MrProper who not just has inspired me, helped me a lot thru personal conversation, motivated me as how I want my life to be in my 40s.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230807_091859_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20230807_091859_Gmail.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 120

aero the heritage

New in Town
Heya! Welcome! I haven't ordered from LL themselves, but I have a 551 Dominator, which is my favourite jacket. Its pattern is the best I've ever tried and, honestly, after this one, I wouldn't have any issue trusting LL with my measurements. Anyway, good luck getting your jacket. I'm sure you'll love it.
That you for encouraging. BTW I read you wife's theory and it's scary that without doubt, she's 100% right. I'm also in industry where seeing 8 to 10 people daily basis for past 19 years, her theory works in this case 100% too. I've gone thru so many different types of people with different cultures, different backgrounds, different countries or regions cuz I work in Manhattan nyc, I'm justified to have enough of datas to back up her theory I believe.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Once, my wife (who's a psychologist) said that when we are between two good options and choose one, we'll always think the other option was better because the human nature values more the desire than the possession, hence once you pick something and now you own it, the other option starts to seem more appealing, as now you desire the other.

All of that to say, you made the right decision, but your brain is now trying to trick you into getting something new
Found it…

Grass is greener on the other side. Is it though?

aero the heritage

New in Town
So the whole order process has come to the end and like we all know waiting game has begun. I am now at the point where I think fair to summarize what I've gone through since I placed the order.

1. Placed order by Aug 7th Mon.

2. Received 1st contact from Steve by 10th Thurs. It was with warm greetings then I was in mixed feelings, really tried resistant to myself becoming suspicious. this is exact quote from Steve;

"Just looking at your chest size you would be nearer a 46" rather than a 40".

Your chest measurement of 111.5cm basically equates to to 46" jacket.

For example my chest size is 102cm and I wear a 42" chest jacket.

Is it OK to base off a 46" jacket?

What size do you usually wear?

Kind regards,

Steve"

Not tried to criticize or any, I 1st reached to mrproper for his insights and even with his longer wider bigger frame, even he admitted 46 would be too big for him. I replied back to Steve with 3 emails one after another, showing the dimensions of my fit jacket which is Aero dustbowl, sending my physique photos from different angles at gym for Steve to have better understanding, even some of LL owners post of selling their pre owned jackets which were labeled sz 40 or 42 with p2p 22 which I would feel ideal and basically saying what I want is p2p 22 with other size adjustments. I also was aware of telling all these in such manner that it wouldn't hurt Steve's feelings, you definitely don't want the person in job to feel offended. He after a couple hours responded back and asked me if those numbers I filled up in the form was from my actual body size or from the fit jacket. I replied it was from my actual body but I'm pretty confident about the sizes for a jacket, maybe we should approach from that perspective and Steve agreed. I then asked him what is p2p on sz 40 and sz 42, also wonder if it would change the width of bicep since I was informed from mrproper that placement of armholes are somewhat higher than those in Aero's, I wouldn't even mind going up to p2p 23 for that matter. Steve informed me that we can't change width of bicep and sz 40 p2p is 22, sz 42 is 23, bicep will be width of 7 when laying flat in both sz. I asked Steve if we can go with sz 40 but adjust the shoulder to 18.5 or 19 and that was end of back and forth due to closing time in UK. Total of 10 emails and I was satisfied with his attentive gesture.

3. 11th Fri, I received 1st order form with numbers on each measurements, I now figured that now days LL do their chest, shoulder measurements go along with their stock sz and you can't modify them. I asked Steve that I'm aware the Corsair has bit of structural, pointed shoulder shape like you see from those blazer jackets, which I was informed from mrproper, if I should go sz 42 what the shoulder length would be when sz 40 is with 18.5. Steve told me that it'll be 19 when sz 42, shoulder shape will be dropped down over time and become less structured look. I had a few more question following but no response due to their closing time.

4. 15th Tues, Steve sent me and saying he doesn't work on Sat, Sun and he had his day off on Mon. It would been better if he let me know of that beforehand. I got my 2nd order form with numbers changed plus minus, I still wasn't sure since they were in centimeters and lack of experience of veggie tanned sheepskin, adjusting and changing numbers and ask opinions for Steve. This was morning in NY time, no response until closing time in UK, I assumed Steve was busy.

5. 16th Wends, his response arrived with 3rd version of order form, I felt confident so I confirmed.

6. 17th Thurs, I asked what would be rest of process from now on, when would I expect to get the jacket. He replied the lead time at this current moment will be 8month. He also said they will let me know when the jacket is made. I finished with thank you for all your help, have a wonderful summer.

Overall it was smooth transaction, it seemed they finally got right person to replace legendary Rip, all in all feel confident when you look for LL jackets.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230818_144006_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20230818_144006_Samsung Notes.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot_20230818_144037_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20230818_144037_Samsung Notes.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Screenshot_20230818_144048_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20230818_144048_Samsung Notes.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 93

aero the heritage

New in Town
And again, special thanks to Mrproper, without him it would been real challenge figuring things out. I really tried not to annoy him, wish all my approaches weren't too much of hassle, never wanted to seem as all these were potential long term reach, just this time. Thank you sir.

mvilla

A-List Customer
That you for encouraging. BTW I read you wife's theory and it's scary that without doubt, she's 100% right. I'm also in industry where seeing 8 to 10 people daily basis for past 19 years, her theory works in this case 100% too. I've gone thru so many different types of people with different cultures, different backgrounds, different countries or regions cuz I work in Manhattan nyc, I'm justified to have enough of datas to back up her theory I believe.
Found it…

Grass is greener on the other side. Is it though?
Haha only now I saw this, sorry for taking this long.

I suppose it ain't her theory, though. It is something she studied in Uni.

I asked her about this the other day, after I posted the first time. She said is something like "Humanity thrives in desire. Once you accomplish, it stops being a desire and becomes a reality, which is far less attractive. Therefore, you seek for another desire to fill the gap left by the now achieved one".

So, yes... It can really explain a lot of our impulses haha

aero the heritage

New in Town
Haha only now I saw this, sorry for taking this long.

I suppose it ain't her theory, though. It is something she studied in Uni.

I asked her about this the other day, after I posted the first time. She said is something like "Humanity thrives in desire. Once you accomplish, it stops being a desire and becomes a reality, which is far less attractive. Therefore, you seek for another desire to fill the gap left by the now achieved one".

So, yes... It can really explain a lot of our impulses haha
I believe I heard this when I was reading article about how dopamine functions in our brain. So that was that hah!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner