Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Liberal Media Conspiracy DEBUNKED!

MDFrench

A-List Customer
Hey all,

Those of you out there who know me are aware that I am a straight-laced, tend-to-be-conservative guy. At the same time, I am also constantly researching things, getting curious, etc. Well, at graduate school I have access to a whole library of stuff, including census stuff, publishing alamanacs (e.g. Bacon's Guide) and whatnot.

Every now and then around here we have political discussions and eventually someone always mentions how the media is too liberal and takes the side of the Left, spinning the news away from conservative values. I tended to agree, but I got the itch to get the numbers and really find out.

Well, here goes - I hope you find this interesting. For all intents and purposes, I have discovered that the American newspaper is essentially on the conservatives' side, and always has been. Just check out these numbers.

Going back as far as 1940, during the Roosevelt/Wilkie election, 813 papers (64%) in the country endorsed Replublican candidate Wilkie, compared with a mere 289 (25%) endorsing FDR, with the rest undecided. In 1944, Dewey grabbed the endorsement from 796 papers (60%) in the country compared to a meager 20% for FDR.

In 1948, 771 papers (65%) went Replublican, 182 (15%) went with Truman. 1952 showed Eisenhower with endorsements from 693 papers (67%) versus the Democratic candidate who grabbed only 15% with 18% undecided. In 1956, Eisenhower's reelection campaign snagged 740 endorsements (62%) where the donkeys only earned 189 (15%). This time, the undecideds rose to 23%.

731 papers (58%) endorsed Nixon in 1960. Kennedy only earned 208 endorsements (16%). In 1964, the Dems scored with 440 papers (42%) endorsing Johnson and a relatively close 359 papers for the Reps (35%). In 1968, the elephant was back on top with 634 papers (61%) in Nixon's favor versus only 146 papers (14%) for the donkey.

In 1972, Nixon grabbed a whopping 753 endorsements (71%) from the papers. The Dems only snagged 56 (5%) and 23% of the papers remained silent. Ford earned 411 endorsements (62%) in 1976 compared with 80 (12%) for Carter. In 1980, Reagan whupped on Carter with 443 endorsements (42%) compared to Carter's 126 (12%).

1984 saw Reagan grab 381 endorsements (58%). Mondale got a pathetic 62 papers (9%). In 1988, Bush Sr. was liked by 195 papers (29%). Dukakis only picked up 51 endorsements (8%). A massive 63% of papers were mum during this election.

1992 was the only other reversal year, and once again by a close margin. Clinton received 149 endorsements (18%) compared to Bush's 125 (15%). Once again, a whopping 67% of papers knew not who to support.

In 1996, the elephant won out again, but the margin of indecision grew wider. Clinton only grabbed 65 endorsements (4%) and Dole got 111 (26%). A full 415 papers (70%) just couldn't make up their minds.

I couldn't find figures on the last two elections, but from what I understand, the trend remains consistent. But check that out - Only two years in a 56 year span did Dems get more endorsements in American newspapers than Reps. And in those two years, the margins were very close, relatively speaking.

If there really is a liberal media bias, it must be on TV. Conservative DJs rule the waves of talk radio, the newspapers are elephant lovers, and well...Fox News is the most popular news station in America. Liberal media conspiracy? I just don't think so anymore.

I think, quite frankly, we are suffering the rattling of a few squeaky wheels who squeak very loudly on TV - but ultimately the people AND the newspapers have spoken. Reps in, Dems out.

Mike

SappySwami

Familiar Face
I'm glad someone else has become aware of this. I haven't looked much into endorsements, but I have read and heard of many stories of reporters getting "hints" that if they don't report certain things, in certain ways, they might not have a job. Bill Moyers did a good report on this in the '80s. It seems rather intuitive, as well, with corporations, which are usually more conservative, owning all major news outlets. Especially now with the lack of monopoly rules, like the old 7/7/7. Like David Boylan said, "We paid $3 billion for these television stations. We will decide what the news is. The news is what we tell you it is."

Brad A. Cox

Familiar Face
I agree and I have always thought that the press was under control. If I want the hard truth I will listen to the BBC. At least as far as American news the BBC seems to have no fear in telling it the way it is. American news usually paints the pretty picture of how the whole world loves us and the BBC lets you know straight forward who all hates us. It is safer to know who hates your policies than to think all is ok and turn your back on them. The prettier picture may get you shot in the back. :rage:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy